Options

Woodlouse Through Reversed Schneider FM 40mm

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited March 28, 2015 in Holy Macro
I had put aside this lens for about a year so that I could try out some others. Having been told by its previous owner that it out-performed the MPE-65, and having considered the new Venus x1-x2 lens, I put it back in action yesterday. This is at the lower end of the magnification range for which performance is better with the lens reversed.

I found out afterwards that the ca. 45mm extension gave a FOV 9mmm wide, the same as I would expect with the Venus at x2. The working distance was ca 50mm. I used Olympus OM extension tubes, which are better than alternatives, which tend to twist undone under the weigh of a flash gun on the barrel. In this case, the second gun was free-standing.

EM-1, 45mm extension, Schneider HM 40mm f2.8 at 1/60* f16 ISO 200, TTL RC flash (main unit diffused), hand-held with support from substrate. I found that I needed f16 to get the required DOF. even so, the antennae are not sharp throughout their lengths.

* the shutter speed should have been higher but I had forgotten that this lens has a stop-down lever which I had moved, such that several exposures were at f2.8 an grossly-over-exposed, the metering unable to cope. During the re-setting of the camera, to try to rectify this, the low shutter speed was un-noticed.

Image uncropped.

Harold

1114185.jpg?ts=1427524922

Comments