little league

2»

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    rdalland wrote: »
    I really like what you have captured here, Liz. Looking forward to more!

Thanks Reid,
    More coming:D
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 11, 2011
    The regular season ended last night. We played 10 games and finished the season 9-1 (which included one forfeit). The team is crazy good, everything is just meshing well together, good coaches, good kids who work pretty hard, and good parents, a rare combination of things. Usually one or more of these is completely off and makes for a tough season, I uninentinonally chose to document one of the best seasons my kid will likely ever have.
    Here are some from the last game.

19. "For the parents of a little leaguer, a baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into innings." Earl Wilson
    sp-3-L.jpg

sp-1-L.jpg

sp-5-L.jpg

22. After each game they do relays against each other.
    sp-16-L.jpg

23. not posed. My son had baseball camp this week followed by a baseball game where he was catcher the whole game. He was worn out. This was a shot I took as the team huddle at the end of the game broke up, he was last to get up and I shot this as he turned around. The shot breaks my heart a little, I don't know why, it's the look on his face I guess. I told him next year he probably wouldn't do a week of baseball camp during the season but he wants to, he loves it.
    sp-13-L.jpg

The next three are a series in themselves. Taken a few seconds apart. I was trying to get a team shot.
    Trying to set up the shot.
    24.sp-20-L.jpg

the group shot
    25. sp-21-L.jpg

26. Taken as the team photo broke up--they are such spazzes, I don't know how they keep winningrolleyes1.gif
    sp-23-L.jpg

27. AS far as more emotion, which I wanted, due to the wins, the range of emotions were few. There were a couple of tears such as shot #10 and this one--mostly because of a poor up at bat, but that's pretty much it.
    sp-2-L.jpg

BTW, I was never able to nail the "lineup" shot I wanted. I still have a couple of chances, but it's not looking good.
    Thanks for following along everyonebowdown.gif and for the tips and encouragement. The regular season is over--playoffs start on Monday.
    I'm trying to cull down the set to about 100, I know it's crazy, that's the set I will share w/ the parents etc.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    thumb.gifthumb Well done Liz! Can't wait 'til next year.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    I am really enjoying this series. I think I may be inspired to try something like this with my daughter's soccer team. We have several parents of kids on the team who are pretty good photographers, but we always seem to focus on getting that great sports action shot instead of the story (and geez, they're only 9). Methinks the story behind the action is at least as interesting, if not more.

Thanks Liz.
  • NyarthlopicNyarthlopic Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2011
    Hiya Liz!

You had a lot of shots jump out at me from the last two posts. I swear this isn't supposed to be a photo by photo review, but I just have to call out the ones that jump out at me. So here goes...

I like 17; showing that these kids are very much being kids. A lot of it shows kids growing up, the way the watch the lineup cards, frustrated after a bad at bat...but this shot shows they are still kids.

18...the sun is too dominant. I'd be a spectacular shot to me if the sun didn't take over the entire thing. Not much you can do about the time of day, though.

19. disappeared on me. Did you remove it or is something else hokey?

21. A very cool shot. The composition of it is fantastic. The coach looking on, the slide frozen...wow.

23. Poor kid. ;-)

The team photo series: awesome. Again, it shows the "kids being kids" side of it. They're having so much fun and it's showing. Love it! You know that I like 'liz color' in some instances, but it doesn't work for me on the actual group shot. Personally, I'd probably process it in "regular" color and in B&W; let the parents choose what they want to see. I may get flogged for this one in this forum, but I think that Sepia would be kind of cool for it, too.

Again, thank you for documenting and sharing this series. I love it; tells a different story than what you would normally see in this kind of series.

One overall thought: have you thought about catching a practice or two? Seeing the boys practicing and being coached may add another dimension to this series..this story if you will.
    edited August 23, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    thumb.gifthumb Well done Liz! Can't wait 'til next year.
    I can't imagine topping this season Lauren:)
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 23, 2011
    jpope42 wrote: »
    I am really enjoying this series. I think I may be inspired to try something like this with my daughter's soccer team. We have several parents of kids on the team who are pretty good photographers, but we always seem to focus on getting that great sports action shot instead of the story (and geez, they're only 9). Methinks the story behind the action is at least as interesting, if not more.

Thanks Liz.

I hope you do try this. It has been a rewarding experience and a challenge and I know for a fact we will look on these photos years down the road.

thanks for commenting.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 23, 2011
    Hiya Liz!

You had a lot of shots jump out at me from the last two posts. I swear this isn't supposed to be a photo by photo review, but I just have to call out the ones that jump out at me. So here goes...

I like 17; showing that these kids are very much being kids. A lot of it shows kids growing up, the way the watch the lineup cards, frustrated after a bad at bat...but this shot shows they are still kids.

18...the sun is too dominant. I'd be a spectacular shot to me if the sun didn't take over the entire thing. Not much you can do about the time of day, though.

19. disappeared on me. Did you remove it or is something else hokey?

21. A very cool shot. The composition of it is fantastic. The coach looking on, the slide frozen...wow.

23. Poor kid. ;-)

The team photo series: awesome. Again, it shows the "kids being kids" side of it. They're having so much fun and it's showing. Love it! You know that I like 'liz color' in some instances, but it doesn't work for me on the actual group shot. Personally, I'd probably process it in "regular" color and in B&W; let the parents choose what they want to see. I may get flogged for this one in this forum, but I think that Sepia would be kind of cool for it, too.

Again, thank you for documenting and sharing this series. I love it; tells a different story than what you would normally see in this kind of series.

One overall thought: have you thought about catching a practice or two? Seeing the boys practicing and being coached may add another dimension to this series..this story if you will.

hey there,
    I read all your comments when you posted.
    I did catch a few practices but got nothing really worthy. I was also distracted by my little girl.

I'm glad to see which frames worked for you and which didn't.
    #19 I deleted. It was of a mother hanging on to the fence watching her son pitch. Since the team is getting this series I removed her because she would not have liked the shot. I might have kept it if it showed the intensity I wished to capture, but it didn't.

I'm posting the final shots now.

FYI--the team was sent the photos today and the series has been a hit to say the least.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 23, 2011
    Playoffs--two game elimination.
    We played three and lost two, so we are out--we lost last night's game 1-0 on a walk!

Here is a series of shots of the last three games.
    We won the first and lost the last two.

Taken right after this kids' first and last hit of the season.
    sp-6-L.jpg

sp-1-2-L.jpg

sp-12-2-L.jpg

sp-7-2-L.jpg

My son on the bench after getting struck out in the fifth.
    sp-8-2-L.jpg
    Final inning score is we are down by one run.
    The final pep talk
    sp-9-2-L.jpg

sp-10-2-L.jpg

Can you believe I missed the final out's emotions! Not for lack of trying. Missed focus, helmet in the way, someone got in my way, you name it, it happened and I freaking missed the few seconds of raw emotion!
    Then I walked a sobbing kid to the team huddle and I didn't have it in me to snap the shot in his face.

This was a couple of minutes later, most kids took it well--this was for the final speech of the season, the coach told them all "it was the best team he ever coached" and as you can see they are beaming.

In the end, the coach still made them do their relays againt each other.
    sp-27-L.jpg

After it was all over most of the kids stayed on the field and started playing "running bases", they did not want to see it all end.

sp-30-L.jpg

Shot as I walked away, the lineup remained on the chain link fence.
    sp-31-L.jpg

THANK YOU ALL for taking this ride with me.
    I enjoyed shooting it, posting it and talking about it with you all and sharing it w/the team.
    It has been such a great experience for me and quite the challenge of shooting through the fence. I know I missed some good shots because of this but it also pushed me harder.

I have already received some really positive feedback from the team.
    My work is done here :)
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 23, 2011
    I hate to see it come to an end.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    I hate to see it come to an end.

Me too. This was awesome.

And the shot of your son after the strikeout I think you nailed the missing emotional shot you were so looking for. thumb.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    Thanks so much for sharing this journey with us, Liz. It was really fun to watch it unfold. What's next--football? :D

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited August 24, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Me too. This was awesome.

And the shot of your son after the strikeout I think you nailed the missing emotional shot you were so looking for. thumb.gif

Thank you Scott--
    FYI, my son saw my post and wanted me to make a correction :)
    He was not struck out, he hit the ball and it was fielded at third with a runner going to third for the third out, lol. Sorry, I had to set that straight.

I am so glad you enjoyed it.

I am including my link at the end of my post here to the entire album.
    I whittled it down to 118 images rolleyes1.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 24, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Thanks so much for sharing this journey with us, Liz. It was really fun to watch it unfold. What's next--football? :D

Cheers,
    Lauren

Thank you Lauren:D.

No on football, just soccer, but it's not the same. THere is just something kind of magical about baseball. Maybe it's because it's not fast paced. People can talk and discuss the game in between pitches etc. THe kids get to do the same in the dugout when they wait their turns up at bat or when they are riding the bench. These are elements only felt in baseball. I love the game, but love it more in little league.

I doubt I will do this again, but I sure am glad I got one season in:)
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 24, 2011
    THe link to the entire album
    http://lizzardnyc.smugmug.com/Other/Bombers-2011/18020480_5N7xmF#1381167286_BPTVdFh

I should have titled this "thru the links--a story of one summer, one team, and the little league baseball experience" --but it didnt' fit :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    I thoroughly enjoyed the gallery. Thanks for sharing!