Catchlights in the eye

JoHawkJoHawk Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited May 26, 2015 in Technique
On my last shoot I was able to capture some great portrait pics, only to notice that the catch lights in the eye cover the pupil and I now have an alien looking eye.

What is the best way to remove the catch light for a natural looking pupil in Photoshop? As it has ruined the pic.

Comments

• arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2015
    In the old analog days, we'd just take a very sharp xacto knife and produce tiny paper white catchlights in each pupil carefully aligned on the print itself. I can't see why you can't do the same in Photoshop. Maybe zoom in a great deal and just draw them in using off white and the pencil tool or similar (on a layer ideally).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited May 25, 2015
    If there's a portion of the pupil that wasn't covered by the catchlight, then you need to laboriously rebuild the pupil by cloning pixels of the uncovered region to recreate the rest of the pupil, leaving just enough of the catchlight to be pleasing. If there's not enough undecimated pupil for this purpose, then perhaps you can find a shot with acceptable pupils from the same person and paste them in, or perhaps borrow the entire eyes. I will often do that to get one usable shot out of a group series where every shot had someone blink.
  • JoHawkJoHawk Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2015
    Cheers Kdog.. I will give it a go.. stealing eyes sounds like fun..
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2015
    Can you post an example?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited May 26, 2015
    JoHawk wrote: »
    Cheers Kdog.. I will give it a go.. stealing eyes sounds like fun..

The really weird part is when you go to paste the new eyes in, they kind of snap into place once you get them close. Try it, I swear it's true.