Options

Canon 70D sticky/hot pixel

DheerajDheeraj Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited December 16, 2014 in Cameras
Hi Guys

I own Canon 70D for about 6 months now. Have tested the camera well for Hot Pixels or Stuck pixels when I received it. Yesterday while doing a party event I observed a red bright pixel on the LCD in LiveView. First I thought it maybe a stuck pixel on the LCD. I changed to Video mode and the pixel was gone. Again I switched back and saw the pixel sitting on my LCD. I think this rules out any issues with the LCD.

I took some snaps at ISO 100 and 200 the pixel abnormality was not visible on the jpegs.
Later I took some pics at 15 secs exposure keeping ISO 800 and to my dismay some red and white spots exact 6 of them appeared on the pic.

Do you guys have any idea what I am facing. Why in Video mode the pixel vanishes.

Comments

• Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2014
    For the still images, were you always shooting jpeg, or are you describing a mix of jpeg and raw?

I wish I only had 6 stuck pixels on my canon sensor, I've got a ton.

the in-camera jpeg engine should map out the stuck pixels, so you don't see them in the final jpeg picture, or video.

I you are shooting to RAW, then it's the job of your computer software to map out the stuck pixels, and you'll see them in the RAW image before processing.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2014
    JC wrote: »

I you are shooting to RAW, then it's the job of your computer software to map out the stuck pixels, and you'll see them in the RAW image before processing.

that's my understanding but I've never had any hot pixels or maybe I've never looked close enough to notice any
  • Options
    DheerajDheeraj Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 13, 2014
    Yes, when shooting JPEG, no pixels. Camera software cleans them up. Now the issue comes when I shoot at long exposures (Astro), even JPEG also shows up those pixels.
    Any idea how to handle them?
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2014
    If you are shooting individual shots, turn on long exposure noise reduction (camera will take a second exposure as long as the first with the shutter closed and subtract the results of that image). If you are shooting image sequences, put on the lens cap after the last one and take a 'dark frame' image and subtract that from the images in your sequence in post processing.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.