Options

Canon EF 100-400mm MKII

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
edited December 2, 2014 in Cameras

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2014
    I can't tell, is it still push-pull? If not, why does the zoom mechanism need a tension clutch? Do people really want to loosely rack from 100mm to 400mm with the flick of their pinky finger? Or is it just to lock the lens at a certain focal length?

Either way, at that price it better be flawlessly sharp, and hand-holdable at 400mm & 1/10 sec... This is one of the most expensive variable aperture lenses, ever!!!
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited November 11, 2014
    From some comments I saw on DPR, it looks like it is not push-pull. It uses a ring, but the barrel extends.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2014
    "The rotation-type zoom ring offers precise adjustment between zoom positions, especially when shooting handheld, and a zoom torque adjustment ring enables easy setting of the zoom tension for personalized control."

There you go. I'd guess the torque adjuster prevents the lens from extending when hanging downwards.

Of course this arrives now that I've blown my wad on a 7D2 for more reach (and 10fps). But I probably wouldn't get it anyway as I prefer more bg blur for sports. And at f/5.6, ISO climbs real fast. I really wish there was a 100-300 f/4 L. Yeah I've tried my 70-200/2.8II with a 1.4TCIII and was really frustrated with the nosedive in AF performance. IQ was great when the AF hit.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited November 11, 2014
    Yes, I wondered how the barrel extended too when I first spied the leaked photos. Somewhere I also saw a shot with the thing fully extended and it was weirdly huge. Seems like this new 100-400 is the "poor man's" version of the 200-400 lens when it is combined with a 7DII.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 11, 2014
    I think the 100-400 will appeal to users who do not want the size and weight of the larger lenses - my spouse for example.

Does this lens extend like the 70-300 IS L maybe - the central lens barrel protrudes, but the outer outer lens barrel is fixed. I like my 70-300 IS L, even though it is slow at the long end.

I am looking forward to seeing a few lens reviews of this new 100-400 as well as the new 400 f4 DO
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2014
    pathfinder wrote: »

I am looking forward to seeing a few lens reviews of this new 100-400 as well as the new 400 f4 DO

some of the early reviews for the new 100-400 are good but for someone shooting wildlife that doesn't need a fast AF the Tamron and Sigma 150-600 may be a good choice