Options

The 7DmkII Thread.

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2014
    Very nice Charles. However I'm curious, why not just shoot full manual under lights? It's not like the light is changing, right?

Did you have flicker detection on?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2014
    Wondering if I can learn from the group's talents.

I tried taking pictures of my son's indoor soccer with the 7D MII and 70-200 2.8 at iso 5000 and they are not nearly as clear jmphotocraft's pictures. There seems to be a lot of noise. Any initial recommendations, or would pictures help?

Did you enable noise reduction? And at what size are you judging your photos? 100% view is only useful if you are going to print huge, like 20x30" or bigger. You'll notice mine are downsized to 1600 pixels wide. Pics look sharper and less noisy when downsized.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2014
    Very nice Charles. However I'm curious, why not just shoot full manual under lights? It's not like the light is changing, right?

Did you have flicker detection on?

We only have two light towers on each side line and as you get closer to the red zone the light does indeed drop off. A quarter back on the 40 gets more light than the receiver on the 10. Plus on the sideline I'm shooting into a light brown brick bldg with windows and aluminium bleachers that throw a little bit of light that is bouncing around but when aiming down field towards the goal line nothing but blackness. I even over expose by a 1/3 to 2/3 to try and save the end zone shots if I have time to set it.

I don't set the anti flicker as I've read it will effect your exposure and drop your f stop lower.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2014
    Hackbone wrote: »
    We only have two light towers on each side line...
    Gotcha.
    I don't set the anti flicker as I've read it will effect your exposure and drop your f stop lower.

The indoor soccer shots I posted were taken with anti flicker on. It did not change my f-stop or shutter speed or ISO, but I was shooting full manual. My exposures seemed to be very consistent, the only thing that I noticed was the FPS took a nosedive down to about 5 or 6 I think. I don't know if it has other effects in the semi-auto modes, but that seems highly unlikely to me.
    -Jack

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 25, 2014
    I hadn't heard anything about anti-flicker affecting aperture. It makes sense that it would affect FPS in that it delays the shutter as necessary to synch with the lights.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Last post on the 7d. I do like the performance at high ISO's. All of the games are night games so I'm interested in the darker areas of the photo to be acceptable and I find it meets my needs. I'm getting better at all the focusing options and very happy with what it does. (thanks to all here on that point) I do like to add contrast and clarity so these might not suit your tastes but mine are satisfied. I shoot shutter priority and auto ISO. Most of these were cropped to some extent which makes this camera even more acceptable.
    ]

I prefer full frame for night sports and other low light situations but these look pretty good