Options

Air Force Graduation Granddaughter

dgebbendgebben Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited July 15, 2011 in People
This is one of those post that could go in Journey or People. Air Force Basic Training at Lackland in San Antonio Texas is a journey but all about people.
My granddaughter, Cassandra, completed her basic this past weekend and her mother, sister, brother, grandparents, one cousin and son and three friends all attended. They go in with disorder and come out ladies and gentlemen with purpose. What a transformation.

Flag-holder-M.jpg

This is Cassie holding the flight squads flag during the cadet run.

Air-Force-Graduation-Time-S.jpg

Proud mother and daughter.

Oh the tears did not stop - these are tears of joy.

Sister, The Grad and Brother.

Proud Grandparents.

Marching-M.jpg

Graduation parade march.

Air-Force-Graduation-Time-M.jpg

Cassandra graduate of Lackland Air Force.

Oh those air force glasses makes one look like a bug.

Off base and back in contact with the world. It is tough for a teenager to survive 8 weeks without Facebook or texting privileges.

Then all to soon it is time to say goodbye and more tears of sadness.

http://www.dangebben.com/Family/Cassie-Air-Force/17910767_rQ2gk8

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    Congratulations! Excellent photos! Love the emotions. And .... Thank Cassandra on my behalf for her service. I do appreciate it.

As for the glasses .... When I was serving we called those things BCGs (Birth Control Glasses). And, they're much better now than they were some 20 years ago!
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2011
    Thanks Scott
    She is the first member of our family to be in the military. We are very proud of; her glasses and all.:D
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Congratulations to your family for raising such a great young lady and thank her and all her friends for their service to our country. These photographs make me proud for our youth.
  • Options
    cornishpetecornishpete Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 8, 2011
    Congratulations to her and family! But as a Brit with somewhat different military customs I just have to ask 'how or why does one get two medal ribbons during basic training'. Just curious.
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    Congratulations! Excellent photos! Love the emotions. And .... Thank Cassandra on my behalf for her service. I do appreciate it.

As for the glasses .... When I was serving we called those things BCGs (Birth Control Glasses). And, they're much better now than they were some 20 years ago!

They still do! rolleyes1.gif

Any yes...thank her for me as well!
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    The ribbons are the Air Force Training Ribbon (for completing basic training) and the National Defense Service Medal, which is given to anyone serving during specified times of national emergency. The NDSM can be awarded more than once if multiple national emergencies occur during one's career; I received one for serving during Desert Shield/Desert Storm and for serving on 9/11 and thereafter.

Many thanks to your granddaughter for joining the military--and joining the best branch! :D I retired from Lackland AFB and still live here. Those basic training graduation ceremonies are really something, very emotional. I looked through the shots on your site and I agree that you really captured all of those emotions. Thanks for sharing this special day.

Lauren (USAF, Retired)
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2011
    Two Ribbons
    Congratulations to her and family! But as a Brit with somewhat different military customs I just have to ask 'how or why does one get two medal ribbons during basic training'. Just curious.

I one is for completing basic and the other is because her flight squad made excellent in all test including something called the beast field exercises.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2011
    The Ribbons
    redleash wrote: »
    The ribbons are the Air Force Training Ribbon (for completing basic training) and the National Defense Service Medal, which is given to anyone serving during specified times of national emergency. The NDSM can be awarded more than once if multiple national emergencies occur during one's career; I received one for serving during Desert Shield/Desert Storm and for serving on 9/11 and thereafter.

Many thanks to your granddaughter for joining the military--and joining the best branch! :D I retired from Lackland AFB and still live here. Those basic training graduation ceremonies are really something, very emotional. I looked through the shots on your site and I agree that you really captured all of those emotions. Thanks for sharing this special day.

Lauren (USAF, Retired)

I did not know that myself I assumed the second ribbon was for completing the physical course "the beast". Learn something every day thanks Lauren.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2011
    My pleasure. Where is she being stationed?
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2011
    You really captured her emotions. Well done. And please thank her for her service. What tech field will she be in?
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2011
    Her choosen field
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    You really captured her emotions. Well done. And please thank her for her service. What tech field will she be in?

Thanks for your interest; her field is military intelligence and she is now at Good Fellow AFB in Texas attending school for about 6 months. She as yet does not know where her final assignment will be - more than likely DC.

I hope she gets stationed in a foreign country for we will take advantage and visit. Even if Cassie ends up in DC we will always visit.