My addiction to some amazing parks - Death Valley, Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
edited January 6, 2011 in Journeys
When I was young and (somewhat) foolish I thought I could visit a place once. As it turns out the only places I visit one time are places that turn out not to appeal to me.

I discovered a number of years ago that there are some wonderful parks within reasonable driving distance of Las Vegas, and that I can get a non-stop flight from Manchester, NH to Vegas. That means the area is often on my quick escape list.

In December, I grabbed my camera and headed west for a week-long wander in some favorite parks.

My first stop was Death Valley National Park. It's funny, but I didn't realize until I looked at my photo galleries that I've chosen Death Valley as an escape in late fall or early winter for the past four years. I wonder if that means I need to head somewhere else in late 2011. I won't worry about that now though.

Somehow, I ended up with a lot of shots of water. Yes, I really was in Death Valley.

1135774736_8TPTG-L.jpg

1135782440_H5iTh-L.jpg

Shadows and light late in the day were always interesting.

1135806298_FG85z-L.jpg

1135810860_gkjz8-L.jpg

In the morning I was determined to drive to Ubehebe Crater before stopping for photos. Luckily for me the light stopped me not too long after I started driving.

1135814002_T2J2T-L.jpg

1135834078_8KdJP-L.jpg

A little more water, this time at Salt Creek...

1135828577_C63jY-L.jpg

It was time to move on. I spent 4 nights at Death Valley, then stayed at a Hampton Inn in Summerlin for the next 3 nights, chosen for good proximity to Red Rock Canyon.

I started with an afternoon at Red Rock Canyon, driving the loop road, stopping to do some walking, joining a local photographer for a chat as I saw him at what looked to be (and was) a good photo spot.

1135895319_Hdhat-L.jpg

1135890238_3LM66-L.jpg

The next day was a day for a loop to the east. Valley of Fire State Park was my first stop. If you haven't been there and you're in the Las Vegas area, it's well worth the drive.

The rock structures are amazing...

1135855885_gbex4-M.jpg

And the color is amazing too, very red...

1135854510_UtjZ5-L.jpg

1135864887_ETEwe-L.jpg

I was on a loop hike at the end point of the road when I heard what sounded like thunder. The sky didn't say storm to me, but I have to admit I thought twice about moving faster. The road I had traveled was full of curves and dips, dips marked with signs warning of flash floods. Luckily, no water fell, no floods during my visit.

1135865891_Hqcp8-L.jpg

I was fascinated by some photos that kdog posted in his Hoover Dam Bypass Update so I thought I'd loop back to Las Vegas by way of the Hoover Dam. Leaving Valley of Fire, I entered the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. I drove for a while before stopping at an overlook.

1135872674_frkWz-L.jpg

As I got closer to Hoover Dam I was able to stop and walk along the shore.

1135879310_sV9fL-L.jpg

1135875039_2deZE-L.jpg

I continued on to the Hoover Dam, stopping to walk on the new bridge first. I find it very interesting that the walkway only goes part of the way across the bridge.

1135847967_LhRKN-M.jpg

I continued down to the road across the dam, leaving my 4-wheeled vehicle in the parking garage so I could walk across the dam. This is not a great bridge shot, but...

1135848699_9Ji2P-L.jpg

I wish I had seen it when it was still under construction. It's truly an amazing structure, as is the dam itself.

1135885134_kKFQK-L.jpg

Back to Las Vegas...

The next day I visited Spring Mountain Ranch before heading back into Red Rock Canyon. Interesting, it's a state park inside of the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. My National Parks Pass got me into Red Rock Canyon, but Spring Mountain Ranch was a separate fee area. And guess what? I found more water!

1135904759_TNS8h-L.jpg

1135909932_konjf-L.jpg

Of course there was more time to wander at Red Rock Canyon.

1135914570_jsCZg-L.jpg

1135920543_uUT8Z-L.jpg

1135929602_eK4Wp-L.jpg

Thanks for looking over my shoulder. If you'd like to see more, click for my words or photos.

--- Denise

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 3, 2011
    Very, very nice, Denise. You got a lot of really great shots from your trip. You're not kidding about the water you found in DV. I was there the following week as it turns out, and there was nowhere near the water I'm seeing in your shots which are very special indeed. I also love the winding road shots at VoF. I know why you like it so much out here, having grown up in Mass myself. Give a holler next time you're in da hood and we'll do some shooting!

Cheers,
    -joel
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Wonderful. wonderful. :D
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited January 4, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Very, very nice, Denise. You got a lot of really great shots from your trip. You're not kidding about the water you found in DV. I was there the following week as it turns out, and there was nowhere near the water I'm seeing in your shots which are very special indeed. I also love the winding road shots at VoF. I know why you like it so much out here, having grown up in Mass myself. Give a holler next time you're in da hood and we'll do some shooting!
    Thanks Joel. I'd love to shoot with you sometime, and I'm sure I'll be back. My park addictions usually refuse to be shaken!
    aktse wrote: »
    Wonderful. wonderful.
    Thanks aktse!

--- Denise
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Great pics of some truly awe-inspiring places, Denise.

I have only been Out West once, in April 2009, but I did manage to visit Red Rock, Valley of Fire, and the Hoover Dam during my trip. I really wish I had had more time at each place, and I wanted to go to Spring Mountain Ranch but didn't have time. I guess I need to get back out there one of these days...
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    edited January 5, 2011
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Great pics of some truly awe-inspiring places, Denise.

I have only been Out West once, in April 2009, but I did manage to visit Red Rock, Valley of Fire, and the Hoover Dam during my trip. I really wish I had had more time at each place, and I wanted to go to Spring Mountain Ranch but didn't have time. I guess I need to get back out there one of these days...
    Thanks!

I highly recommend adding Death Valley to your list of "must visit" locations.

--- Denise
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Thanks!

I highly recommend adding Death Valley to your list of "must visit" locations.

--- Denise

15524779-Ti.gif I've been several times. And each time better / different than the last. Great stuff, Denise!
    edited January 5, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif I've been several times. And each time better / different than the last. Great stuff, Denise!
    Thanks Andy.

I too see different things on each visit. I enjoy the return visits and while it's possible I won't get back in 2011, Death Valley is still staying on my must visit list.

--- Denise
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    Nice series!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    This is really nice!
    1135865891_Hqcp8-L.jpg
    edited January 6, 2011
    Nice series!
    Thanks Awais!

--- Denise
    edited January 6, 2011