They told me i wasn't allowed to tell them what to do...

nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
edited June 19, 2009 in Weddings
NOT KIDDING....

No posing allowed I was told...ok i guess. :dunno

This is what I ended up with. I hope they aren't disappointed.

E-Session

566940284_V7oVM-L.jpg

566942147_GH7QG-L.jpg

566942806_uUX6o-L.jpg

566941578_joymi-L.jpg

566943122_pgCHf-L.jpg

6. I don't really like this shot...but...check out that rock!!
566941692_SaQtA-L.jpg

Whole gallery http://proofs.shillidayphotography.com/gallery/8586957_WQZRA/1/566940284_V7oVM
Nicole
D3, and other Nikon goodies
Shilliday Photography
Blog
Facebook

Comments

• MA-FOTOMA-FOTO Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Nice work....
    sounds like somebody wanted control.....
    probably just after a natural look ... ideas coming out of the bride magazines.

good compositions, #1 nice ... colors look refreshing.

#3 looks like you blew out the guys shirt a little -#1 too.

Thanks for sharing.

hope this helps.

Later,
    _Mark
    Drive 50D ~ 24-70 L ~ 85mm ~ 28mm ~ Tammy 17-50 mm ~ Stuff
    ~
  • nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    MA-FOTO wrote:
    Nice work....
    sounds like somebody wanted control.....
    probably just after a natural look ... ideas coming out of the bride magazines.

Its funny bc I am the last person that wants to pose ppl, but you don't realize how much you actually make suggestions until you arn't allowed to talk! :D

Thanks..and yes, i meant to say, C&C please.
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Love #2 and #4 is lovely - the color on all is good except the white is blown out. In #1 - 3 & 5 she looks out of proportion to his size. Not sure if it was the lens or if she really is that much bigger than he is. the angle of the shot on #5 makes her hips look a bit wide.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Two is my favorite. I think if you spend a bit more time on 3 in PP to fix his shirt that would be a real winner as well.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    I would have given them their money back. Photography is a collaborative process, if the photographer is not into it the work will suffer.
    I think you did well with the limitations they put on you.
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    zoomer wrote:
    I would have given them their money back. Photography is a collaborative process, if the photographer is not into it the work will suffer.

I'm kinda with Zoomer. This is totally fine if you have a good looking romantic couple who will perform for you. I have couples like this, but usually after getting to know them, I realize they are like that and I back off on posing. I've never had someone come right out and say it like that, and if they did, I probably wouldn't take them as clients. Truth be told some people are sticks in the mud that need to be coaxed, some people have facial irregularities that need to be recognized and gently minimized, I consider that my job, to make people look their best. But you did a good job, I just wouldn't allow them to yoke me with the "stand there and take pictures" I probably would have told them to get a tripod.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    I think you did well! Were you allowed to ask them to slow down while walking? Or "just take photos of us and we will do whatever the heck we want?"

That's sad that they would say that, even though you hardly like posing people anyway!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    She would have looked way smaller and more flattered if she'd allowed you to direct her into slenderizing positions, perhaps behind part of him, or at least angled to remove some of the bulk from her torso...And the sweater is adding weight too; she didn't dress right to trim herself on camera.

I wonder why they didn't just have a friend with a camera shoot them instead of paying someone who is a pro for such limited "service."

You say you hope they are not disappointed...It's better for them if they are, then their wedding pics will not have such a stipulation resulting in less-than-flattering images. If they are disappointed, you can tell them where they went wrong, and tactfully explain the results of the limitations they put on you.
  • nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    zoomer wrote:

HA! I think this couple is getting a bad rap! And that is my fault for describing the thread the way I did. It is true that they did not let me direct them, but to answer you question Ted, yes, they did let me say slow down or hold their for a moment. I didn't direct the shoot at all, just chimed in every once and a while. :D

They were actually a wonderful couple to work with and I used it as a learning experience. I found myself thinking more as a photojournalist and less as a wedding photographer.

They were very very pleased with the pictures.

I am not their wedding photographer, but hope to work with them again. rolleyes1.gif
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook