FS: Flash for Sony A

pennypenny Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited February 20, 2009 in The Other Guys
I am looking for a flash for my sony a200. I am planning to upgrade my body by the end of this year. This said, I am looking for a flash that I can grow into. I have tried other sites but not getting any good feedback. I have no idea what to look for in a flash. To top it off there isn't alot of tutorials on sony camera moreso flashes. Other than Sony I am aware that Sigma makes flashes. Can you please direct me to some good info

Orlie

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    I am confused.....is it a lens (as title refelects) or flash you really need (as thread body refelcts)?????
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 17, 2009
    Penny, please clarify, I will edit the thread title when you give us an answer.

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• pennypenny Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I am confused.....is it a lens (as title refelects) or flash you really need (as thread body refelcts)?????

Sorry about that, I am looking for a flash.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2009
    penny wrote:
    Sorry about that, I am looking for a flash.

Are you looking for a pre-sony Minolta flash or are you looking for a 3rd party flash??

For 3rd party flashes I would recommend loking into Sigma, Metz & Sunpak to name just a few and that is the few I would trust directly attached to my canera and in the gen order listed......Then my advice is to spend as much as you can afford so that you will get the best or closest to the best that you can for your money.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited February 19, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Are you looking for a pre-sony Minolta flash or are you looking for a 3rd party flash??

For 3rd party flashes I would recommend loking into Sigma, Metz & Sunpak to name just a few and that is the few I would trust directly attached to my canera and in the gen order listed......Then my advice is to spend as much as you can afford so that you will get the best or closest to the best that you can for your money.

I am looking for something that is of high quality and its reputation proceeds it. I am leaning towards Sigma or Sony. I do not know what to look for in a flash, hence what is the difference between the low end flashes and high priced flashes. My current set up includes a a200 with a 55-200 & 17-80 lenses. My price range is free-about $500. Since I don't know to much about flashes nor can I find some solid feedback, I don't want to go spend $500, yet the $200 flash does the exact same thing and has the same features. I'd rather get feeback from people who actually have used the product/brand.

If I am lookig at Sony or Sigma what do recommend are flashes worth looking at.
    edited February 19, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Penny, please clarify, I will edit the thread title when you give us an answer.

thanks,

I am looking for a flash
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    penny wrote:

If I am lookig at Sony or Sigma what do recommend are flashes worth looking at.

On the Sony side there are three flashes to consider for your alpha. (I list Amazon prices because it's easy for me, you should check out the prices at B&H and Adorama as well to see if they're lower.)

First is the HVL-F36AM. This is the older model of flash (I have one) but I have found it to be perfectly adequate for almost everything I do. Plenty of power and it can be had for reasonably cheap: $180 on Amazon or even less used. I use it frequently for bounce and fill flash. It tilts (up and down) but does not swivel and so isn't very useful if you use the camera in portrait mode. Guide Number 36 at 85mm position, ISO 100

Next up is the HVL-F42AM. It's $300 on Amazon but the market should be flooded with good prices on used ones. If you're looking for a great flash at a deal price I'd probably check out e-bay and forums like dyxum.com - there should be some deals there. It tilts (up and down) and swivels (90 degrees left and 180 right). Gude number is 42 at 105mm position, ISO 100.

Finally there's the HVL-F58AM. $450 on Amazon. This is the big daddy flash with an effective range of over 45 feet (compare to 30 with the F36AM). Tilts, swivels, nice display screen, all the features a flash can have. Guide number is 58 at 105mm, ISO 100. (There's also a HVL-F56AM which is the older model with much slower recharge times.)

So there they are. Again, I have the F36AM and the only thing I've ever been limited by is that it doesn't swivel left to right. It's always been powerful enough, had fast recharge times (with good AA batteries), and worked perfectly (TTL) with the camera.