a chance to go to Manitoba

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited February 18, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
I have a chance to go to Clear lake, Manitoba in August. Not knowing anything what-so-ever about the area, I was curious if any dgrinners know this area and could tell me something about this place, at this time of the year ( august ) .

thanx in advance

troy

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Hi Troy

Well, I have not specifically been to that lake. I googled to find out that Clear Lake is in Riding Mountain National Park, which I have been to many years ago. I remember it being beautiful, but as I said that was many years ago. However I was surprised that there are so many well developed web sites associated with the park - check them out (just google riding mountain park, manitoba).

My family used to visit near there every summer - at Yorkton Sask. The weather should be very good (as good as it gets, anyway) with temps in the high 70F to mid 80F or higher.

One word of caution thought would be about bugs - mosquitos, black flies and ticks - one of the web pages mentions a wood tick festival in August - not exactly my kind of celebration!!

You will be at the edge of prairie and the beginning of the Canadian shield so there will be interesting landscapes. Southern Manitoba (Lake Winnipeg area) is a huge flood plain so pay attention to weather ahead of your trip.

ann
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 8, 2007
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    bump

I just found out the other day that my chance to go to this area fell through....
    but Thanx Ann for the advice!!!

Troy
  • missamo80missamo80 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Well, too bad your trip fell through, but what the heck I'll reply anyway just in case someone else ever wants the info.

I grew up in Brandon, MB, about 45 minutes south of Riding Mountain National Park. Honestly I never found Clear Lake and RMNP that spectacular. You have the token wildlife (elk, etc.) and an ok lake, but that's about it.

I think you'd have more fun photographing a bit away from the park and instead shooting the fields that should be spectacular that time of year. You should easily be able to find beautiful fields of Canola, flax, and wheat, and the sunrise/sunet in such a flat environment can be quite beautiful. I took some nice shots while I was home for Christmas, if you want to see some samples.

Neil