Options

shooting wedding without flash

2»

Comments

• Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Oh I would never have any intention of leaving an event early, but if it is written that way it makes it easier for b&g to tell the guest they have to settle down, not because they care, but because the photographer has that in their contract. the b&g don't want to "insult" a loved one but now they have to because of their contractual obligations. This makes it easier it for them to do, and/or easier for me to control things on their behalf. We all want the same thing. No trouble, good hapy vibes and amazing pictures and this is sometimes what it takes to make those things happen.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    SamTHornSamTHorn Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2010
    I use Nikon. what setting is the best to shoot in church without flash

Are you going to post any of the pics?

deal.gif
    clap.gif
    wings.gif
  • Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    It could be about guarding the print sales, but it could also be, dependent on how civil the guests are with their cameras. Will they be civil and not get in the way or will they try to demand the attention from the B+G away from the paid photographer? On signing, no one knows if the guests will be civil, the B+G might say they will be but how sure are they?

The recent wedding I did, the bro of the groom was shooting with pro gear too. I didn't care because he knew his boundaries. That's what matters to me. Whether or not the guests who come in with cameras know their boundaries. And on the flip side I was a 2nd shooter at a wedding, where one of the guests slipped by my attention to forcefully get the Bride's attention and wouldn't stop after myself or the main photographer asked him nicely after letting him shoot one image of what he wanted.

Yeah, that's why I said there has got to be a nice way to let guests know that the photographer has the "right of way". I'm positive that some guests annoy the crap out of photographers!!! I personally would get pissed.... even if I wasn't making money. Simply because they are ruining my shot!
    smurfy wrote: »

Um....Then you can't understand how we feel when overzealous GWC's ruin the images that are important to our clients. Once in a lifetime moments, and they're gone forever. No disrespect intended, but you have to experience it to relate.

Um.... I pretty much addressed that. Did you stop to quote me before you finished reading my post? I don't have to be a wedding photographer to know what it's like to have someone ruining my shot while trying to get the same thing.

Pic from today!! Not a soul to get in my way either. haha I am shooting my cousins wedding there in a few months. She has actually hired a photographer before I started getting serious about it. I plan on calling the photographer to go over things and instead of competing with her for a shot or ruining any shots.... I'll hopefully coordinate with her and be her back up/second shooter. I'm shooting one way or another and I'd rather do it right.

stpeterscathedralbellev.jpg
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    When I'm a guest at a wedding....I bring a film camera...sometimes a TLR with B&W sometimes a manual focus 35mm with slide film. Seriously whatever floats your boat...but honestly if I'm not getting paid to shoot a wedding, I'm not sure I'd be into it for "practice" or "fun" or whatever. When I attend a wedding as a guest I feel like I'm at work, and most of the pics I take are of my wife and friends the only reason I'd take "weddings photos" is if the paid photographer didn't show, or showed utter and complete incompetence.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    ...I plan on calling the photographer to go over things and instead of competing with her for a shot or ruining any shots...
    Bingo. I wish more people would do this. This is what I tell each of my clients when they sign with me. I'm really a friendly person in real life, and other photographers are welcome to attend the wedding and bring a camera. I ONLY ask that they introduce themselves beforehand, promise to stay out of my way, and respect the event & images in general.

I've shot PLENTY of weddings where other photographers have showed up with gear worth 2-3x my own bag. I've seen guys wear actual photo vests at weddings, with a 1D-series over each shoulder and a dozen L lenses in their bag. I really don't care what they do or shoot, as long as they're not ruining the day for the bride and groom, nor ruining the images for posterity's sake.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Pic from today!! Not a soul to get in my way either. haha I am shooting my cousins wedding there in a few months. She has actually hired a photographer before I started getting serious about it. I plan on calling the photographer to go over things and instead of competing with her for a shot or ruining any shots.... I'll hopefully coordinate with her and be her back up/second shooter. I'm shooting one way or another and I'd rather do it right.

Now THAT was smooth. A left jab, a right hook, then a quick change of subject.
    thumb.gif
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    Te Amo wrote: »
    Clearly they have hired someone else because your work is not up to snuff
    Te Amo wrote: »
    I have made absolutely no assumption about the OP. Rather, I addressed your previous assumption.

ne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gifdunno

This thread is awesome. I love that the OP hasn't stopped back in for a comment or two amongst the finger pointing. I agree with all the Uncle Bob points of view and can completely understand the frustration. But who is anyone to say that there shall not be other cameras there?

A professional, IMO, should be professional enough (and man or woman enough) to address the offender politely and explain to them why what they are doing (impeding shots) is affecting the final product that the bride and groom paid the professional for and how they could help be less of a distraction if they wanted to keep shooting. I know this isn't part of the contract, or even part of the job description, but a little friendly explanation or a couple kind, to the point words explaining the trouble said Uncle Bob is giving for the overall process would go a long way IMO.

I also agree 100% that a quick call the the hired professional explaining what you'd like to do, if you were planning to take shots other than point and shoot shots, would go a long way to ease any tension that might arise. This is a courtesy that I'm sure isn't extended very often but should definitely become part of standard wedding etiquette.
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    At a wedding I did a couple of weeks ago, there was an "Uncle Bob" with a video camera that kept moving around during the wedding, up front and from side to side. Every time he would approach the area where I was shooting, I would turn my camera straight at him and fire off a few shots. This made him very uncomfortable, and after a couple of times, he backed off and moved away. He then avoided me for the rest of the wedding.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    Te AmoTe Amo Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    Lol. I love when you internet kids pull thing out of context in attempt to make a "point".
    That's hilarious.