5D Mark III - First 24 Hours Review (post yours here!)

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    We're in the SLR Lounge studio right now testing the 5D mk3 vs a Phase One 80 megapixel back. Needless to say the Phase One is ridiculously all-resolving, but we're still DEEPLY in love with how the 5D mk2 is performing as well!

The VERY FIRST THING I did was go to page 252 of the 5D mk3 manual and set up one-click zooming, (since I'm a Nikon user) ...I gotta say, all 5D mk3 users MUST MUST MUST use this feature, and enjoy the wonderfully immediate 100% view. It makes the whole "hit play button, (even though you can already see the image during instant playback, how stupid) ...then zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, then scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll...

That, and of course the whole focusing and responsiveness in general is just on a new level of professionalism. I'm very happy for the studio guys, and all Canon shooters especially if you shoot low-light candids or weddings etc...!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    Dark nasty day on the soccer field today. Thankfully, 5D3 and ISO 3200 to the rescue. Love the AF, love it. Did I say I love it?
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    Matt is switching to Canon because of the 5DIII. And since it's 4/1. :D

Speaking of medium format, check this out. Amazing.
    http://blog.phaseone.com/2012/04/01/photography-through-the-lens-cap/
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    one more
    5D39288-X3.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    love that Hat

want that camera
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    dlplumer wrote: »
    ISO 640
    Congrats Dan, you finally got yours! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • CoveShooterCoveShooter Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 5, 2012
    Dan, are these handheld or tripod? Which lens did you use? I tried to take some similar pictures but didn't get the quality that you did. Those are amazing.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited April 5, 2012
    Dan, are these handheld or tripod? Which lens did you use? I tried to take some similar pictures but didn't get the quality that you did. Those are amazing.

We have an entire forum dedicated to Macro and Close-Focus Photography: http://dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Be sure to check out the 'sticky' posts at the top of the forum, especially:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=143373

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=143237
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • CoveShooterCoveShooter Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 5, 2012
    As always, thanks Ziggy!
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    We have an entire forum dedicated to Macro and Close-Focus Photography: http://dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Be sure to check out the 'sticky' posts at the top of the forum, especially:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=143373

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=143237
    edited April 5, 2012
    A article from Canon explaining the new 1D X and 5DIII 61 point AF system:
    http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml?categoryID=12
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    Iso 4000
    k4000.JPG

Kids playing dress-up last night. Manually set f/2.8, 1/60, and let the camera handle the auto ISO. Good times.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    Has anybody encountered the light leaking problem?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    edited April 8, 2012
    Cuong wrote: »

Cuong

Now that you have mentioned it, I went ahead and checked and it really happesn.. hmmm... headscratch.gif
    Thanks for warning! I guess than can be a problem in a broad daylight... rolleyes1.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 8, 2012
    That blows.
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    That blows.

If you're into shooting lens caps, yes it does. thumb.gif Honestly though, to me this whole light leak fuss is akin to a painter complaining his brush is a few bristles short.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 8, 2012
    Doesn't mean the photons are detected by anything other than the exposure sensors. If you take pics of the complete darkness of a body cap and with the viewfinder completely blocked, at super high ISO's (much higher than 800), and shine an extremely bright flashlight onto the top LCD vs. no flashlight, and look at the pics you get, is there a difference? If no difference, then there's no issue.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited April 8, 2012
    Cuong wrote: »

Cuong

I would be most concerned using deep ND filtration for time-exposures during daylight. You may want to put some gaffer's tape or high-quality masking tape over the top display. Otherwise, it does not appear to be much of an issue in normal shooting situations.

At most, watch the histogram on image review (chimping) and, if the scene seems underexposed, adjust the exposure to compensate.

It will be interesting to see the DXOMark results for sensor sensitivity. If it's a serious metering problem I suspect it will show up in those tests (assuming the tester notices the discrepancy in meter readings vs sensor readout results).
    ziggy53
    edited April 8, 2012
    I did my own test this morning

CA04081210404431-XL.jpg

Left one has the top LCD exposed to the sun. Right one had LCD covered.
    OVF was blocked in both cases. Camera on tripod, at ISO100, f/8, Av mode.

As you can see the entire histogram is shifted slightly, especially noticeable by Blue channel, as its peak ends up on different sides of the grid line.

I'd say the difference is about 1/5th of the stop. Nothing to sweat about in normal conditions when shooting RAW, but I can imagine it can play some dirty tricks when shooting JPEG only from a bright lit room into the dark, or when ISO is high and you do night shooting with a head lamp on (not a smart move anyway).

My verdict: the issue exists deal.gif. How severe it is for you and how it does affect your particular shooting - only you can answer. ne_nau.gif

BTW, I like the comparison mode ;-)
    edited April 8, 2012
    Thanks Nik. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    edited April 8, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Thanks Nik. thumb.gif
    No worries! I just thought to myself: "What would Ziggy do?" mwink.gifiloveyou.gifthumb
    edited April 8, 2012
    In the interest of full disclosure, I also checked this with 5D2 (which, while being already sold, is still in my possession, since the buyer hasn't picked it up yet). I didn't find ANY indication of this effect being present, at least on this copy.
    Just my 02.
    edited April 8, 2012
    Nikolai,

Interesting test and data...
    • Did you turn of ALO and Highlight Tone Priority for this test?
    • Were the exposures the same for these two different shots?
    edited April 8, 2012
    * I shot in RAW, I think ALO doesn't affect those, however I didn't explore that alley yet.
    * I shot in Av. My understanding is that the problem originates in metering system, so in M the difference would not be visible. AFAIK other reporters point to the same experience - you have to have some part automated and let the stay light to fool the system.
    edited April 8, 2012
    ALO definately affects RAW. The in camera histogram will reflect any in camera adjustments such as ALO. NOTE: If you take the RAW into any RAW converter but DPP, ALO is gone.

To clarify, was the Av exposure the same between the two shots? Eg 1/200 vs 1/200 @ 2.8.
    edited April 8, 2012
    ALO definately affects RAW. The in camera histogram will reflect any in camera adjustments such as ALO. NOTE: If you take the RAW into any RAW converter but DPP, ALO is gone.
    Ah yeah, you're right.
    To clarify, was the Av exposure the same between the two shots? Eg 1/200 vs 1/200 @ 2.8.

Yes. The only difference between two shots was "exposed" top LCD. if the were no light leak, they should've been identical.
    edited April 8, 2012
    mwink.gif I don't know...I think ALO could be the culprit here. The "light leak" fuss is over metering, not light hitting the actual sensor. The Av exposure should have been different between your two shots if the "light leak" was affecting metering. Identical exposures and a VERY minimal shift in the histogram points to a scene change or in-camera wizardry.

I think there may in fact be a "light leak" that affects metering in situations where a manual exposure is more appropriate(astrophotography, etc), but it definitely has no perceptible affect on normal, everyday professional use. I don't shoot lens caps, lens targets, or any such voodoo...after 4 professional shoots with the 5D3 I can say it has the best and most reliable Canon metering to date(particularly when used with high ALO and DPP).
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    That's similar to the metering error you can get from light leaking into the viewfinder eyepiece.
    mwink.gif I don't know...I think ALO could be the culprit here. The "light leak" fuss is over metering, not light hitting the actual sensor..
    edited April 9, 2012
    Wife got new lights for our backyard, I thought I'd take a long exposure, see how the noise is. Well, it ain't ;-)

5D3 + 16-35MkII, ISO 8000, f/11, 25"

i-4ThbtRj-X3.jpg
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Wife got new lights for our backyard, I thought I'd take a long exposure, see how the noise is. Well, it ain't ;-)

5D3 + 16-35MkII, ISO 8000, f/11, 25"

i-4ThbtRj-X3.jpg

Nice shot of Orion in the BG :ivar