Tablets?

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited April 4, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Sort of surprised I don't see a thread for this!

Anyway, I'm just starting to think about getting a tablet. I know literally nothing about them. I've never used one, but have heard great things... Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

I'd be using it for basic photo retouching, not painting or anything like that. But I'd like more control than I get with my mouse. I am not sure what size is best. I have a decent amount of room on my desk, but dont' really need something HUGE!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    I have the cheapy Wacom tablet (around $80), and it's fine, more than enough for my needs. I find that most of what I do is to paint layer masks, anyway, and that tablet is fine.

I highly recommend it, though. It takes time to get used to, but it's worth it in the long run.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    Thanks so much! That's what I'm looking for... Nothing fancy, just something that's a bit more sensitive than my silly mouse....

Off to order! I'll let you know what I think.

Thanks again!
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    David is very right about this photogmomma. I wish I read his post or something similar when I got my tablet (back in the ps6 days). I tried it and didn't like it too much, so I stashed it away in my big box o electronics I'll use someday. I finally gave it another shot when I upgraded to ps8 and am kicking myself for having lost all the experience that I could have had.

If you have the pockets for it, go w/ the 6x8. It will be a very well spent 200USD. The 4x5 is a little small and you'll find yourself walking the pen off the tablet area all the time.

Your gonna love this tool!

-Jon
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    I use a Wacom 6x8 both at home and work and can't imagine life without them. I even bring one for a laptop if I travel!

The newer models have scrolling and quick keys on the tablet-- and mice with five buttons you can quick/shortcut key too.

Something I recently learned-- tablets are fantastic tools for audio editing in ProTools too. I end up doing a lot of that at work and a lot of photo related stuff at home-- the tablets make my work for both a lot easier. I haven't tried any other brand-- but the Wacom's seem to be sturdy and worth the money.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• h4rrih4rri Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Good stuff, having used a Tablet PC for a while now I was looking at the Wacom kit for a home based unit. Will wander off and order one :)
    H4rri
    ~~
    w: www.randomphotos.net
    #: Canon 5D - 17-40mm f/4 L - Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L - Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS - Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro - 100-400mm f/4 L IS - Canon MT-24EX - Speedlite 430EX - Nikon CoolPix S200 :#
  • fotodojofotodojo Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Wouldn't want to live without mine - I have two Graphire 3/4 6x8 cheapies and a Tablet PC that does all my cartoons =) (with my help =))
  • DifferentSeedDifferentSeed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    If you're also thinking about getting Photoshop in the future, if you don't already have it, you might want to look at the next level Wacom (I think it's called Intuos) as well. They often has promotions (like $300 off Photoshop), so the extra bit for the tablet pays for itself if you were thinking about getting PS anyway :)
    Make a small loan, Make a big difference. Find out how at http://www.kiva.org
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Just in case anyone is looking for a tablet here's an 8x6 tablet for $40:

Go here:
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=WP8060&AID=10440852&CJPID=1798476&cm_ven=CJ&cm_pla=1798476&cm_ite=REDIRECT-ProductSpecific_Text_9-11-2006&cm_cat=1635414

Then:
    Enter Coupon Code: GEEKTAB2 in the red promotions code box during checkout to get your savings. Discount valid through Tuesday April 10 or while supplies last. trans.gif

I know nothing about the quality of this tablet, but it sure is a good deal.
    edited April 4, 2007
    Thanks, all! Now I'm really excited to get mine! I already ordered the 4x5 Wacom, but even if I end up upgrading later, it's cool. I'm looking at laptops, too, so I could use that one on the road and I'm sure the $80 would have been well spent.

I'm SO glad I decided to do this after reading everything! (But I have the strange feeling I'll be upgrading at some point after reading more. Although the extra $200 is a bit tight right now with saving for a laptop.)

Thanks again!
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Any tablet is far better than the mouse for PS work. I don't mind hte lack of threads here (it's at least a weekly question over at FM). Anway, I am very happy with my older 4x5--and no the small size is not a problem to this point (I may have to revise that as I work with my new dual-monitor setup more).
    edited April 4, 2007
    Any tablet is far better than the mouse for PS work. I don't mind hte lack of threads here (it's at least a weekly question over at FM). Anway, I am very happy with my older 4x5--and no the small size is not a problem to this point (I may have to revise that as I work with my new dual-monitor setup more).

Oh, I don't mind the lack of threads... I was just surprised! Laughing.gif! I almost always post somethign and then find a thread about whatever AFTER I posted. And I feel like a dork. So I was surprised when I LOOKED before asking and then there wasn't anything! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the info on being happy with that size tablet! That's really nice to know! I'm sure it'll take a while for me to outgrow it.... :D

Oh, what's FM? Just curious... :)
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    I don't think I'd go for the cheap 8x6 linked above. Wacom is pretty much the artist's standard, and on top of that, the pen in the 8x6 above uses a battery. Ick. It adds weight and maintenance.

One of the beauties of the Wacom system is that it uses no batteries. The tablet sends a short-range signal that bounces off the stylus, and that's how it knows where it is. Because of this reflective technology, the stylus doesn't ever need a battery. The only power the tablet needs comes through the USB cable.

photogmomma, you should be happy with the 4x5. I have two of them, the Graphire I started out with (that I now throw in my laptop bag sometimes) and the Intuos I use now. The Wacom tablets have so much resolution that large monitors can be driven with the small tablets. The 6x8 would actually start to crowd up my desk.