How to get better output quality from Movie maker

CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
edited April 25, 2011 in Video
I have a nikon digital camera that does decent little videos ( in hi def, they are a bit stuttered, probablymy PC ) but other than that they look Ok for what it is. I finally figured out how to trim and add some transitions and titles and even a sslow motion segment. but when I save it. ( i think Im doing the best quality option) the final loads super quick to Youtube, but Now is all pixelated and not near the quality of the original QT movie. can anyone offer some direction. Im a photographer NOT a video person, so I need the basics for dummies answers.

I even downloaded the Vegas studio 10 program to try. but its a bit more involved * sigh* I just want my end produt to look nice and run smooth.

sample : this was shot in standard 640/480 editd in Wmovie maker.
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/20876000&quot; width="400" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href=" F-1</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user6255683">Cookie Originals</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p&gt;

Comments

• CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    well I have uploaded a trial, and got this little set of clips, and although the quality is better than the one on you tube ( less jaggies shot in HD on the Nikon L110) it seems Not-smooth....almost like stop animation. Still looking for simple advice. .....Helloooooooo.......anyone out there ?

foaltest from Cookie Originals on Vimeo.

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    I'm here, but I'm a Mac guy.

But yes, you are experiencing a frame rate problem. Check the frame rates on the original clips straight from the camera, the frame rate of the sequence (or project, or timeline, or whatever it's called in you application) and then the frame rate on the export settings. They should all match. Check it out and let us know what you find! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 11, 2011
    thanks David, here are the info from the same jerky clip. it looks that way out of camera , I was hoping the editing would smooth it out. when shot in the lower setting it doesnt do that. but then upon editing shows up Jaggie. ( like when youtry to priont a web photo)
    On my Mac in I movieHD, its an older mac and I dont have enough room to get larger clips ( 4 minutes into the program) so stuck on this one. Win XP
    Duration: 0:03:02
    Data Size: 84.33 MB
    Bit Rate: 3.88 Mbps

Video Tracks:
    H.264, 1280 x 720, 5 fps, 3.88 Mbps

Audio Tracks:

Stream Files:
    Picture 013.mp4 (84.33 MB)
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    I'm no video expert. But 5 fps seems a bit low in order to get a smooth video. TV broadcast IIRC is somewhere around 60 fps.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited March 11, 2011
    You shot at 5fps? There's no recovering from that. You need to be shooting at least 24fps, if not 30fps.

Well, there are ways to partially recover from that, but they cost money and require expertise that you don't have: Twixtor.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 11, 2011
    I know that is what came out on that file, Maybe I looked on the wrong spot or made the project wrong. but my other high def out of the Nikon L110 are stuttery ? ( maybe someone can find out the correct specs. on line. as I dont realy know what Im looking for. others are not bad. maybe I need to get another hard drive on my mac and try again.

Here is an Older one, I think uploaded from my mac, Quicktime format straight out of the camera shot in the same HD. Its not near as choppy when viewing small here. ??? except for the annoying wind, I could accept this quality. can you see if the frame rate is different on this one ?????
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJDiNFXkhmI

but once I edit it, It seems to lose so much. I do appreciate any effort you all give me as I really want to learn.
    edited March 11, 2011
    Your questions are really beyond the kind of support that we can give you. Video codecs and compression is a huge area that can generate a lot of confusion. I googled "understanding video compression" and came up with this: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/Understanding_Video_Compression_01.htm

Spend a little time gaining a better understanding so that you can ask more specific questions. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 11, 2011
    WOW, that link was very helpful. THANKYOU < Off to better learning. :)
    edited March 12, 2011
    CookieS wrote: »
    WOW, that link was very helpful. THANKYOU < Off to better learning. :)

as far as the 5frames i think I made it that way by mistake, i looked at the original and its wasnt like that in camera. working on some new conversions. we will see?
    edited March 12, 2011
    as far as the 5frames i think I made it that way by mistake, i looked at the original and its wasnt like that in camera. working on some new conversions. we will see?

That makes sense. I think you'd have to try hard to get 5fps out of your camera.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    thanks David, here are the info from the same jerky clip. it looks that way out of camera , I was hoping the editing would smooth it out. when shot in the lower setting it doesnt do that. but then upon editing shows up Jaggie. ( like when youtry to priont a web photo)
    On my Mac in I movieHD, its an older mac and I dont have enough room to get larger clips ( 4 minutes into the program) so stuck on this one. Win XP
    Duration: 0:03:02
    Data Size: 84.33 MB
    Bit Rate: 3.88 Mbps

Video Tracks:
    H.264, 1280 x 720, 5 fps, 3.88 Mbps

Audio Tracks:

Stream Files:
    Picture 013.mp4 (84.33 MB)

30 fps...your camera ONLY Shoots 30 fps. make certain any program you use is keeping the frame rate of 30 fps! If it looks like this when you play it back in cam, then the cam has a problem....
    tom wise
    edited March 13, 2011
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited April 8, 2011
    http://www.vimeo.com/22129758

latest video. i did this one in HD on the canon vixia , I had to buy corel video studio pro3 to open these acvhd files. will you tell me if this video still looks choppy ???? headscratch.gif
    edited April 25, 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAKFoqkEXyU

Canon vixia camera and video studio pro 3, they are looking better my computer still doesnt play HD things smooth. others say they look great, i guess next is upgrading my video card. at least im much happoer with the overall quality. and am learning alot.