5D II Batteries

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited February 1, 2011 in Accessories
Just for your information.

The Canon 5D II LP-E6 battery is darn pricey.( I just checked on B&H and they seem to have come down to $60.00 ea). I recently found a number of positive comments on an after market battery from Sterling Tek, Inc. These cost Me $23.00 ea.

I have a battery grip with two Canon batteries and this has served me well, and having the ability to use AA batteries in an emergency is great. But I would prefer to have Two additional spare batteries. I am unclear how long the AA batteries will last.

The Srerling Tek batteries are rated at 2600mAh as apposed to the Canon OEM at 1800mAh. I found a similar improvement when I purchased after market batteries. The after market batteries out lasted the Canon batteries.

The batteries will provide status information, and looks like I can register the batteries in camera as well.

Sam

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    How many do you need? Seems crazy to me to put a foreign battery into a $2300 camera for a savings of $37. I have two batteries for my 5DII, and have never ever worn out both.
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    What Andy said.

I have 2 original LP-E6's and they last fully charged for well over 1500 shots each. I don't use live view and don't spend hours chimping either. But I can charge a set of batteries and shoot 4-5 games (200-300 shots each) and still have power left over.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Valid points and I understand your position, but I made the decision to do it anyway, and just wanted to share this potential option with anyone who might have an interest.

I have never used up both batteries in one day ether, but I did notice my existing batteries recharge performance has degraded.

With my 5D I, I used aftermarket batteries with great success. They are even better than the Canon batteries. The Canon ones died rather quickly and without having spares ahead of time I would have been sunk.

The ones I just purchased have a higher Amp Hour rating, and the only downside I heard with some earlier aftermarket batteries was they didn't have the ability to report status to the camera or be registered to the camera. The new ones have these features.

Sam
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Like I just said in the battery grip thread, using a 3rd party battery is not a very good idea! I have seen photos online of 3rd party batteries that have exploded, ruining the camera! The Canon warranty wont cover any damage done by using a 3rd party battery.
    It makes sense to spend the extra money on the Canon battery, simply because it would all be under warranty if something went wrong! Ultimately your gambling with a two thousand dollar camera, I sure hope you don't lose!
    Todd - My Photos
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 31, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    Ultimately your gambling with a two thousand dollar camera
    Closer to $3K, actually.

Even though SterlingTek has a good reputation for after market batteries, I wouldn't do it either. The extra power seems like a solution to a non-problem. Besides, that could easily be marketing hype. These are Li-Ion batteries and you can only get so much power in a given package size. I seriously doubt Canon cut any corners. So how did SterlingTek come along and get 45% more power out of the same package size, using the same technology, at a cheaper price, with no compromises? headscratch.gif Color me skeptical.
    edited January 31, 2011
    Crap!

Now I am seriously thinking that I made an error in judgment.

My rationalization for this decision seems to be coming apart.

This revelation is a big deal since I haven't had this experience before. :D

Sam
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 31, 2011
    Sam I used Sterling Tek for batteries ( BP- 511A ) for my 20D and 40D, but then it occurred to me that if the batteries would short circuit, and melt down, my camera warranty might be null and void. And they never really lasted as long ( as many frames per charge ) as a genuine Canon BP-511A.

Hence I have reformed, and my 7D and my 5DMKii will never see any but genuine Canon high priced power.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited February 1, 2011
    I called Sterling Tek this morning and told them I wanted to return the batteries. They said OK send them back no questions.

I hope your all happy. Now I will have to spend $120.00 instead of $53.00.:cry

The big question now is do I thank you guys or do I buy a little doll from the Haitian lady down the street and stick pins in it? :D

Sam