Canon 5D Mark II - Got One? Want One?

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited December 5, 2011 in Cameras
Well. Folks are starting to get their Canon 5D Mark IIs, and starting to shoot with them!

My attitude is to shoot first and measurebate later, so took Zac, Oliver & Trevor out this afternoon in really harsh light and shot a little bit Just a few, with Canon 5D Mark II and Canon 50mm f/1.2L.

426236834_P5qZk-X3-1.jpg426237075_jWhVx-X3-2.jpg

426236727_nk8s4-X3-1.jpg

So, as expected, there really is a 2-stop (maybe more?) advantage to this Digic 4 stuff, combined with the new sensor. You really will not believe the clean high ISOs.

Here's ISO 25,600: (click photo for full exif)

426361741_6WwYt-X3.jpg

You can see and compare all the other ISOs down to ISO 100, here. Just click the backwards arrow. Originals are there for those that wish to see them!

A few more examples, 100% crops at ISO 6400, 3200, 1600.

These files have no noise reduction or sharpening or any processing other than converting from RAW to JPG.

I'll add more to this thread as I get to using the camera over the weekend. Baldy's out doing Video tonight!

5D Mark II Video by Cecil B DeBaldy

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NDI3MjI3MDIzJms9QXNYTm8mYT02Njc3NDUyX2U5ckw1JnU9Y21hYw==" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf&quot; flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NDI3MjI3MDIzJms9QXNYTm8mYT02Njc3NDUyX2U5ckw1JnU9Y21hYw==" width="640" height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Nightshot Pano

22 frames, Canon 5D Mark II with Canon 300 f/2.8L on board. ISO 100, f/8, 1.6 sec exposures.
429466514_s2TKj-X3.jpg

here's one of the 22 frames that make up this shot - caution, large file!.

Another pano, different view, different night :)

7 frames, Canon 5D Mark II with borrowed (thanks April!) Sigma 120-200 f/2.8 on board.

431081939_95kph-X3-1.jpg

Auto focus
There's been a ton of nailbiting and angst and extreme pre-announce measurbating (premature measurebating?!!?) about the AF on the 5D Mark II. I tried it yesterday from the wharf in Santa Cruz, it was quite capable of tracking and capturing birds flying by and boats flying by.

This is a 100% crop from the center of the frame, from the raw file.
20081207-qenkhujpwnb4mdu3uct7951ngb.jpg

Another Nightshot

430880661_qUNGo-X3.jpg

Canon's Black Spots?
and here is a 100% crop of all those twinkly lights, for those of you that wanna see black spots? :D

5D Mark II Hates Christmas Trees?

The internet's agog with black spot ca-raziness!

So, I shot my tree in mid-decoration - it's not complete yet, but no black spots! Maybe when we finish decorating the black spots'll show up :D
Link have a look, no black spots :dunno

Error 20 Problem?

DavidTO Reports :cry

Sharpness & Resolution

Well. It's there, for sure :D

442696239_bYV8D-X3.jpg

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    I want one!! Thanks for the samples, Andy! I can't wait to se the vids that Baldy is doing!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited November 28, 2008
    Looking good. thumb.gifclap.gifthumbclap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    I am drooling:D
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Oh Andy how sad I am that mine's not here yet!!!!! Ah the agony, I can't wait to put mine to the ultimate test and get it in my hands and take some shots like these. Thanks for posting them to help tide my eagerness over.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited November 29, 2008
    This pic and story are from the 2006 DGrin Shootout at Bryce.
    That is Andy.
    He's shooting with a 5D.

426549713_RNYfd-O.jpg

5 seconds later Andy turns around and says, "Watts, you ever look through a full frame digital?"
    "No, not digital. Just my film bodies."
    "Come here, look through this. I want to poison you with it."
    So I did.
    And it was good.

So, I'm ramping up to a 5D2 by summer 2009.

I, and my budget, have hated Andy since that very day.

:D
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    I knew it!!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    ne_nau.gif

thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Is it for resale on Andybay yet?

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    Is it for resale on Andybay yet?

Z
    lol3.gif Hah, I doubt it! I really dug the original 5D. They've improved this one, see my additional comments in post #1.
    edited November 29, 2008
    "Come here, look through this. I want to poison you with it."
    So I did.
    And it was good.
    lol3.gif

haha!! Classic!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • bobcanbobcan Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Super Work..
    clap.gif Thanks for Sharing this Info... I am sure many more Insightful Threads will follow as the Cameras become more "available" and Limits are Tested accordingly.. But, WOW you certainly see why the Hype for sure!!

YA HOO!! thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 30, 2008
    Have you tried the movie mode?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited November 30, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Have you tried the movie mode?

Yeah I have :D But I'm no Cecil B. DeBaldy lol3.gif He has, and will have something very very cool, very soon :D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 30, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah I have :D But I'm no Cecil B. DeBaldy lol3.gif He has, and will have something very very cool, very soon :D
    Ha ha. You're happy I take it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • planetMitchplanetMitch Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Awesome stuff!
    Thanks so much for sharing the high ISO pics! We've added them to the 5d wiki (see below) - this forum was posted on another canon forum so I'm new here, but I'm glad i found you :)

I cannot wait for this camera to be delivered to my door! Not sure yet when my dealer will be getting any, but I'm #2 on the list Woot.

The potential of this camera with its video and low light capabilities is so great that I created a wiki for the 5d. People have been collecting video and still samples from around the world that is very helpful to anyone thinking about buying the mk ii or wanting to see what it can do... http://planet5d.com
    Mitch
    NEW! planet5d.com THE 5d Wiki! Follow me on twitter for updates
    (includes mk ii info and samples - all in one central location)
    planetMitch.com my home site
    edited November 30, 2008
    Thanks so much for sharing the high ISO pics! We've added them to the 5d wiki (see below) - this forum was posted on another canon forum so I'm new here, but I'm glad i found you :)

I cannot wait for this camera to be delivered to my door! Not sure yet when my dealer will be getting any, but I'm #2 on the list Woot.

The potential of this camera with its video and low light capabilities is so great that I created a wiki for the 5d. People have been collecting video and still samples from around the world that is very helpful to anyone thinking about buying the mk ii or wanting to see what it can do... http://planet5d.com

Hey welcome to Dgrin!! clap.gif

I need to be on the list...must..make money!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • planetMitchplanetMitch Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Hey welcome to Dgrin!! clap.gif

Thank you! I'm surprised I've not run into DG before (maybe i have and don't remember? the brain is fading).. but thanks for the warm welcome :)
    Mitch
    NEW! planet5d.com THE 5d Wiki! Follow me on twitter for updates
    (includes mk ii info and samples - all in one central location)
    planetMitch.com my home site
  • timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Hey Andy, thanks for posting these! It looks like the shot below is actually an ISO 1600 though... :andy
    Andy wrote:

Hi ISO Performance

So, as expected, there really is a 2-stop (maybe more?) advantage to this Digic 4 stuff, combined with the new sensor. You really will not believe the clean high ISOs.

Here's ISO 25,600: (click photo for full exif)

426368496_kqTUQ-M.jpg

You can see and compare all the other ISOs down to ISO 100, here. Just click the backwards arrow. Originals are there for those that wish to see them!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Andy,
    thanks for posting! thumb.gif
    I'm totally on board with getting one, the only thing that stops me from getting it *right now* is the lack of $$ ne_nau.gif But I'll get there eventually mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited November 30, 2008
    timnosenzo wrote:
    Hey Andy, thanks for posting these! It looks like the shot below is actually an ISO 1600 though... :andy
    Fixed, link fail.
    edited November 30, 2008
    Video from Cecil B. DeBaldy

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NDI3MjI3MDIzJms9QXNYTm8mYT02Njc3NDUyX2U5ckw1JnU9Y21hYw==" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf&quot; flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NDI3MjI3MDIzJms9QXNYTm8mYT02Njc3NDUyX2U5ckw1JnU9Y21hYw==" width="640" height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

More from Baldy on Don's Blog.
    edited November 30, 2008
    oh wow!!!

That was really :jawdrop
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Cannot believe my eyes.... ! amazing clarity
    Great job
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Video from Cecil B. DeBaldy

Very cool!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    That HD Video is too cool. iloveyou.gif
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited November 30, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    That HD Video is too cool. iloveyou.gif
    Yeah, did everyone get that the embedded video is just 640 but you can view it up to 1920 on my SmugMug site? I can't believe how well it holds up, all the way to 1080p.

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/6677452_e9rL5#427227023_AsXNo
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Yeah, did everyone get that the embedded video is just 640 but you can view it up to 1920 on my SmugMug site? I can't believe how well it holds up, all the way to 1080p.

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/6677452_e9rL5#427227023_AsXNo

Incredible Chris clap.gif
  • VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    OMG, the quality is beyond superb, thanks Andy n Baldy for sharing the photo and video. I MUST have this Beast, even though with huge risk being ignored by wifey for quite a long time, Laughing.gif.

Anyone know if I order it from Tallyn now, when the ETA to receive it? Or is there any other place I can place my order for this Beast?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 30, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    I MUST have this Beast, even though with huge risk being ignored by wifey for quite a long time, Laughing.gif.
    Ignored? I should be so lucky. Mine's likely to chase me around the house with a fying pan. rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, I will be getting this camera. However, I'm going to wait for the first wave of buyers and see the feedback. I don't want to buy it and immediately turn it around for a recall, ala what happened with the Mark III. But I give the early adopters a lot of credit for taking that chance.
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    incredible video even in full size! and that wasn't even the reason I wanted this camera...
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com