7D or 5D2?

J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
edited April 12, 2011 in Cameras
I'm having a little problem deciding which one of these great camera's to purchase, and was hoping to get some wisdom from a few of you pro's. So I am just an amateur, and only shoot for enjoyment. Mostly pictures of my family, and our events. Capturing the memories of family life is, in my opinion, one of the most important photography pursuits! I would like to get into taking some landscape photos. It seems like the 7D is technically more advanced and it has the 8fps. But the 5D2 would probably preform better in low light conditions. I used to have a 40D with my 70-200 2.8L for taking pictures of my son at gymnastics..and I would have to crank that iso up to get a half way decent shutter speed...but I wasn't thrilled with the quality from that high of iso. But I have shot a lot of baseball/t-ball action stuff and really like the fast "frames per second"

So...would I have any more advantages with the FF camera over a crop sensor? They both are rated with the same shutter count guarantee. Both are pretty solid camera's, weather sealed, with the strong body. If I fork out the extra bones for the 5D2, will I regret it? Can I make do with the 7D? Or is the 7D the better choice here. Has anyone owned one or the other and decided to switch...what was your reason...are you happier now? I'm stuck on the fence..help me decide!!

Thanks.
-Joe Allen
My Smugmug Site

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 13, 2011
    5DMkII is a great landscape camera, but not a great camera for sports.

The 7D is vastly better than the 40D was, and will offer at least one stop less noise at ISO 800 or 1600. With a little NoiseWare, noise should not be an issue for you.

5DMKii files are large, and have a lower noise at high ISO, but the AF speed will seem glacial compared to a 7D set up properly. If you shoot time exposures with a tripod at night often, get a 5DMKii.

I shoot with both and like both of them, so I have no bias. When I display images from a 5DMKii or a 7D, or even a Panasonic GF-1 on a 54 inch LCD display, at a normal viewing distance you can't tell them apart.

Your cholce.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    The 7D definitely wins the prize for being versatile. Just get a good f/1.4 prime for shooting in low light, and you'll be quite happy.

I would recommend the 5D mk2 if you were shooting professionally, yes, but then again if you were shooting weddings or something I would recommend getting BOTH cameras in the long run.

Other people's opinions will vary, but to me, as both a hobbyist AND a professional, I would rather put up with a little less depth and a little more noise ANY day, compared to sacrificing speed and accuracy. Really, your only option for achieving a high frame rate AND the best possible low-light performance, on a budget, is a used 1D mk3. ISO 6400 is decent, plus of course it's a flagship sports camera. Don't let the 1.3x crop fool you, it's just 10 megapixels which gives you almost the same pixel size as the 5D mk2. (6.4 vs 7.2, is it nanometers? picometers? I can never remember...) ...In fact, a 1D mk3 might be a REALLY good choice for a dad photographing children's gymnastics! (I've shot a bit of gymnastics myself, it's a TON of fun, super exciting!)

That, plus like I said the 7D is so versatile. The pop-up flash commander is so cool; all you need is one old 430 EX and you've got a wireless flash!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    If you want to shoot landscapes, get the 5DII.

If you want to shoot sports, get the 7D.

If you want to shoot both, the 7D is probably better.

I can say that once the 5D3 is released, the 5DII will probably drop down to ~$1200 used. If you are gonna get the 5DII, you may want to wait until the Mark III is released.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    I regularly use my 7d at ISO 2000 - with a properly exposed shot, noise can be easily cleaned up in LR3. The 5d2 is certainly the high ISO champ with remarkably clean 3200+ - as well as all that full frame yumminess - but the 7d is a terrific all-round camera and I've been very happy with mine.

Agree that the time to buy a 5d2 will be when the 5d3 is announced.

ISO 2000
    1020242856_pXHfU-M-1.jpg
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    J Allen wrote: »
    I used to have a 40D with my 70-200 2.8L
    Thanks.

So, what are you using presently?
    tom wise
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    If you want to shoot landscapes, get the 5DII.

If you want to shoot sports, get the 7D.

If you want to shoot both, the 7D is probably better.

I can say that once the 5D3 is released, the 5DII will probably drop down to ~$1200 used. If you are gonna get the 5DII, you may want to wait until the Mark III is released.
    The 5D mk2 will probably take a year or more to get all the way down to $1200 used; the 5D mk1 is still at around $1200 depending on the condition, and it is ANCIENT by comparison.

Purely my opinion and conjecture, of course. Take care!
    =Matt=
  • J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Wow...thanks for all the comments here. I think I'm going to get the 7D. I currently have no camera right now, because of selling my 30D & 40D.
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I shoot sports with the 5D2. I want to pick up a 7D soon as well, however the whole 1.6x crop seems as it if will kill my shooting style. Just need to find a decent close up lens as right now I shoot the 5D2 with the 70-200. For sports though, I'm sure the AF system of the 7D will blow the 5D2 away from what little I've used of it.. Nice camera, great speed. Can't say anything about the ISO though. The 5D2 is usable up to 6400 IMHO, who where it's predecessor was 1600 tops.. Dunno how the 7D compares. In the end I'll probably end up waiting to see what canons next camera release cycle before making a decision. Assuming the earthquake doesn't push back any of their dates...
    edited March 14, 2011
    Wow...thanks for all the comments here. I think I'm going to get the 7D. I currently have no camera right now, because of selling my 30D & 40D.

Have you considered a Nikon, such as the D700?
    tom wise
    edited March 14, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Have you considered a Nikon, such as the D700?

I will never switch to the dark side :D
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
    edited March 14, 2011
    In the end I'll probably end up waiting to see what canons next camera release cycle before making a decision.

Tell me about it...I hate to purchase this...then next week canon comes out with something better.
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 14, 2011
    Matt's suggestion of the 1D MKIII is well founded. If you are looking for the best AF in the Canon lines you will find it in the 1D/1Ds. The AF of the 7D is quite good in good light but indoors and at night you will find folks complaining. While the 1D MKIII was much maligned its AF is still much better for those conditions of low light.

Vincent Laforet used 3 - 1D MKIII for the Winter Olympics in 2008 and I think they did pretty well for him:

http://www.vincentlaforet.com/Gear/large-5.html

(To be fair Mr. Laforet also used 2 - 1Ds MKIII with the same AF system.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 14, 2011
    I will never switch to the dark side :D

Dark? Huh...nothing but light over here!:D
    tom wise
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I have both the MKII and 7D. For what you're saying, the 7D is a much more practical investment. The noise and IQ of the MKII are a bit better but you wouldn't notice the difference in prints 10x15 and smaller. I personally notice it all the time but that's because I'm constantly taking photos and making artwork. The MKII is definitely the artwork/studio camera, although I've shot sports with the MKII and honestly didn't have much frustration at all. I would have a lot more keepers with 8FPS, but it still didn't make it a terrible experience or anything. The AF is extremely quick with a 70-200 even in an indoor gymnasium @ ISO 3200

Go for the 7D. There's a $200 rebate program on it too right now at adroama and b&h, or, if you buy the 7d + a canon pixma 9000 printer you get a $400 cash card back (unless you really need a printer I wouldn't even bother though)

http://www.adorama.com/ICA7D.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase

Go through www.mrrebates.com FIRST, and you'll get $30 back too.

$1500 is a good price. Iif you want to try and hunt for the lowest price there is a list of authorized Canon dealers for this rebate on this rebate form so you know who's legit:

Canon Rebate Form

I got lucky and nabbed one for $1420 shipped, -$30 from mr rebates via Ebay. The dealer was on the list! :)
    edited March 14, 2011
    Go for the 7D. There's a $200 rebate program on it too right now at adroama and b&h, or, if you buy the 7d + a canon pixma 9000 printer you get a $400 cash card back (unless you really need a printer I wouldn't even bother though)

http://www.adorama.com/ICA7D.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase

Go through www.mrrebates.com FIRST, and you'll get $30 back too.

$1500 is a good price. Iif you want to try and hunt for the lowest price there is a list of authorized Canon dealers for this rebate on this rebate form so you know who's legit:

Canon Rebate Form

I got lucky and nabbed one for $1420 shipped, -$30 from mr rebates via Ebay. The dealer was on the list! :)

Sweet thanks so much!!
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    You know how you end up on YouTube and one video leads to another, leads to another, and so on? Well, while looking for something else, I came across these two 7D vs 5DmkII videos other day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2pk-Wtvedo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3-fHf0Y990

Good luck!

BTW, I have a 7D and take a decent amount of landscape photos with it. Perhaps the 5DII with the right lense is better suited for the task, but that doesn't mean you can't get decent landscape shots with a 7D. See this thread for an example.
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I just went through this same back and forth between the 5DMKII and the 7D. I ended up purchasing mine a couple weeks ago from Adorama. For me and the variety of shooting I like to do the 7D was better all around fit.

Plus I was stepping up from a 50D crop so all my lenses will still work with the 7D.

I haven't got to play with it much yet but so far I am happy with my choice.
    edited March 14, 2011
    Also, this website is good for anyone:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II-vs-Canon_EOS_7D

They have standardized testing so noise comparison etc. is actually measured and comparable between cameras

There may be an error here or there but overall it's very good and easy to compare cameras. (I.E. it says the 7d has no weather sealing, but the weather sealing on 7D is as good or better as the MKII as far as I understand)

To anyone who doesn't already have Canon lenses and doesn't plan to go full frame, I'd recommend buying a Pentax K-5 and lenses with that. It spanks the 7D with a much better sensor and gives a plethora of stuff and really tough weather sealing to boot for the same cost.
    edited March 14, 2011
    The 5D mk2 will probably take a year or more to get all the way down to $1200 used; the 5D mk1 is still at around $1200 depending on the condition, and it is ANCIENT by comparison.

Purely my opinion and conjecture, of course. Take care!
    =Matt=
    Well, looking at forum posts from late 2008 the 5D was around $1200... Now it goes for around $1000-$1100, although I'm sure it gets up to $1200 sometimes. I don't know, that's just my guess for the 5D2.
    edited March 15, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Matt's suggestion of the 1D MKIII is well founded. If you are looking for the best AF in the Canon lines you will find it in the 1D/1Ds. The AF of the 7D is quite good in good light but indoors and at night you will find folks complaining. While the 1D MKIII was much maligned its AF is still much better for those conditions of low light.

Vincent Laforet used 3 - 1D MKIII for the Winter Olympics in 2008 and I think they did pretty well for him:

http://www.vincentlaforet.com/Gear/large-5.html

(To be fair Mr. Laforet also used 2 - 1Ds MKIII with the same AF system.)

Um, I think you meant Summer Olympics (Beijing), because the 1DIV ruled the Winter ones last year.
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    I just pulled the trigger on the 5D, which I chose primarily for the low-light capabilities - also, full frame - and love it, in low light, low-light video, and for an outdoor model shoot I did the other day. I do concur with the slow AF remark.

I guess, bottom line, there is no one perfect camera that has every single thing desired?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 15, 2011
    Um, I think you meant Summer Olympics (Beijing), because the 1DIV ruled the Winter ones last year.

Yep, Summer Olympics it was. Thanks. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 15, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    I just pulled the trigger on the 5D, which I chose primarily for the low-light capabilities - also, full frame - and love it, in low light, low-light video, and for an outdoor model shoot I did the other day. I do concur with the slow AF remark.

I guess, bottom line, there is no one perfect camera that has every single thing desired?

I assume you got the 5D Mark II?

IMHO the nearest-perfect camera out there is the D3s: 12mp FF, 9fps, but it'll set you back $5K. Plus, it's "only" 12mp (as opposed to the 5D2, 1Ds3, or D3x).
    edited March 15, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    You asked for it, now suffer the Nikon comments!

The D3 series, and D700, come REALLY close to perfect, if you don't care about video. That's all I have to say about that.

=Matt=
    edited March 16, 2011
    I assume you got the 5D Mark II?

IMHO the nearest-perfect camera out there is the D3s: 12mp FF, 9fps, but it'll set you back $5K. Plus, it's "only" 12mp (as opposed to the 5D2, 1Ds3, or D3x).

Yes, 5DMKII
    edited March 16, 2011
    You asked for it, now suffer the Nikon comments!

The D3 series, and D700, come REALLY close to perfect, if you don't care about video. That's all I have to say about that.

=Matt=

I rest my case. :D
    edited March 16, 2011
    The perfect camera would be very different from today's Canikon ones. More like RED IMO.
    edited March 16, 2011
    The perfect camera would be very different from today's Canikon ones. More like RED IMO.

Ahh...who is this who comes with reports from an alien land with alien machinery?
    edited March 16, 2011

The MKII is already encroaching RED territory in the cinema industry you know mwink.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    The 7D is vastly better than the 40D was

Mmmm... as Wikipedia puts it, needs citation!

We have visited this issue a number of times now in various places. In all my research I have seen nothing which supports this broad vague assertion. The specs, yes, are certainly different. However, in these days when marketing wars are fought on MP counts and other spurious criteria, it is a truism that what advertising might seem to suggest is not always what the practical results show.

As I have often remarked, it is as well to maintain a healthy level of scepticism about the regular annual release of new bodies, because while specs can be changed at will, the speed of real tech advances does not, and cannot, obligingly comply with those marketing schedules.

Put it up, Pathfinder (the "vastly" in particular:D)!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix