Journey the world with me

pnd1pnd1 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited March 21, 2009 in Journeys
I’ve just finished migrating 44 galleries of images made all over the world to my new Smugmug site ( www.pnd1.smugmug.com) and I want to invite you to share these photos with me.

These are the journeys I’ve taken since moving to digital imaging in 2001. There are about 3,000 images for you to choose from, and here are three of my own favorites.

284532506_q9etm-L.jpg

Decisive moment, Marrakesh, Morocco: This is a very special photograph, a spontaneous moment of pleasure caught in a very Moroccan environment. I was walking through the souks of Marrakesh when I saw a shaft of sunlight illuminating an ancient wall within an archway at the end of a dark and narrow street. I heard the distant voices of children at play, getting closer and closer. I framed the shot and waited, and within a few seconds a kid came flying into the arch. I squeezed the shutter button and caught him just as he landed. The magic of photography will always keep him in this spot, framed in fiery red, a symbol of youthful exuberance. You will find this moment in my Morocco gallery.

284541255_2jHxu-L-1.jpg

Net Throw, Khong Island, Laos: The art of casting a fishing net from a dugout canoe is an ancient and difficult skill. I must have photographed dozens of such casts on the Mekong during our visit to Laos, but this was the sunset moment that best tells the story. This photo is in my Laos gallery.

284715689_WkGCY-L.jpg

Taking a break, Moscow: While walking the streets of Central Moscow, I found this colorfully costumed street performer resting on his staff. He seems to have wandered by from another century -- except for that wrist watch. He was actually hiding from me. But I doing so, he made this picture a very special one. The photo is in my Russia gallery.

I welcome your comments and questions on these travel galleries.

Phil Douglis
Director, The Douglis Visual Workshops
Phoenix, Arizona
pnd1@cox.net

Comments

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    hi pnd1!

i've just stumbled upon your smugmug site and your journeys are amazing. I can only hope to be able to travel that much in my time. I especially enjoyed the morrocan gallery as i just came back from it 2 days ago. I think you captured the spirit and essance well. I will be visititing more of your galleries in short time.

thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Amazing !
    Waiting for more from you and going through your Smugmug galleries !
    Keep posting
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • cryptochromecryptochrome Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Those shots are awesome. The kid in the arch and the fishernet especially. Good work!!!

Just started to build my SmugMug galleries:
    http://cryptochrome.smugmug.com
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Wonderful pics!! I look forward to seeing more of your shots!!
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Great pics- I'll have to browse through the rest of the galleries for sure.
  • pnd1pnd1 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Thank you
    I thank all of you for responding to my post and for visiting my galleries here on smugmug. I look forward to updating them as I continue to travel. If you are interested in instruction in expressive travel photography, I also welcome you to my instructional site at www.pbase.com/pnd1, where I take many of the images I've posted here on smugmug and use them as illustrations of expression and communication.

Phil Douglis
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    pnd1 wrote:
    I thank all of you for responding to my post and for visiting my galleries here on smugmug. I look forward to updating them as I continue to travel. If you are interested in instruction in expressive travel photography, I also welcome you to my instructional site at www.pbase.com/pnd1, where I take many of the images I've posted here on smugmug and use them as illustrations of expression and communication.

Phil Douglis

Interesting site! i'll look into more when i have the time. The problem i face most of the time is that i'm on holiday (with my girlfriend) and waiting for lenghty moments to get the right shot or creative angle is difficult without boring her. rolleyes1.gif

I'll just have to inject her with some photo virus (and some L dissease if i'm at it) rolleyes1.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • ccherokeccheroke Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    very nice
    I am impresssed and will have to revisit...all your travels and such great pictures ...not enough time to finish all tonite but I will be back. So far I am impressed by all of what I have seen.
  • hendiehendie Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Nice gallery, Love the colors. I wish I could travel more as well :D
  • MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Your galleries and travels are amazing!