Pathfinder's fast romp through 14 states in 17 days and home via Route 66

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
edited April 2, 2009 in Journeys
Out through Iowa, Montana, Idaho, Utah and home vie Route 66

Nightingale and I made a road trip in February, departing Indiana on Feb 4, so that we could spend a morning in Burlington Iowa and see if there were any eagles nearby. We ate dinner that evening in Burlington to celebrate our anniversary - now how many guys can take their wife with them to go photograph eagles in 15 degree weather on their anniversay anyway?! We ate at a little restaurant, the Drake, along the river front and I drank some neon inspired beer, and shot the bridge over the iced-in river.

483218523_a5cJr-XL.jpg

483217825_zdNqa-XL.jpg

The next morning we went down to the locke and started looking for eagles. We did not really have to hunt all that long
483219427_J4n2u-XL.jpg

We spent a couple hours shooting before our hands got too cold in the breeze and we decided we had shot enough after about 600 frames in a couple hours.

479639774_FxzM3-XL.jpg

479638916_TuBb4-XL.jpg

483220196_JeTmo-XL.jpg

I learned that the leather lens cap for a 300mm lens CAN blow away into the ice swollen river too. But you can order a replacement from B&H for $75. We were off to a less than stellar beginning.

We left by late morning and headed north west into the Dakotas. We made a brief pit stop at Mount Rushmore which was the emptiest I have have seen it, even though it was not cold at all.

483350101_SdVHx-XL.jpg

483346028_wHcbM-XL.jpg

483347363_zgxE3-XL.jpg

483348756_MHWES-XL.jpg

483355362_UnRgp-XL.jpg

There really were just a handful of folks at Rushmore that day!

We hiked around the base of the mountain, and then saddled up and headed west toward Montana. We overnighted in Billings, and made Big Sky the next day. The conference I was attending lasted 5 days, and each afternoon we would wander down toward West Yellowstone looking for game. The best game shots we found at the base of the Big Sky ski area, where there was a local herd of Big Horn Sheep that we would stop and photograph several times.

484760425_sV4ys-XL.jpg

484760728_fwWsD-XL.jpg

480374279_gBtcF-XL.jpg

After conference concluded, we had three days scheduled in Gardiner Montana, at the north gate to Yellowstone, to explore the area between Mammoth Hot Springs and Cooke City. We had more luck in the northern portion of Yellowstone than we did down near West Yellowstone.

We saw buffalo

480965435_Y4yQy-XL.jpg

480970376_hmJsR-XL.jpg

478988931_7bKZn-XL.jpg

485885467_YdGfj-XL.jpg

funny deer

474591211_xTouf-XL.jpg

a fawn

474593076_PhrAE-XL.jpg

elk in the Park

485880410_dJF2h-XL.jpg

and elk in town

475306844_xbqTx-XL.jpg

several coyotes

474602237_6Kn9f-XL.jpg

477079739_NWPpB-XL.jpg

We saw lots of trees in the snow in the sunlight

480959918_G6ra5-XL.jpg

485430907_XSVx3-XL.jpg

485418915_e5ezY-XL.jpg

I shot several sets of panos of 3- 9 frames each

484757323_v3gCk-XL.jpg

480258886_MsBxx-XL.jpg

484777829_5qecM-XL.jpg

Next we ventured into Idaho and down towards Brigham City Utah where we woke to a blanket of new snow.

474558453_keJVx-XL.jpg

485870363_zUjbh-XL.jpg

485879747_u7EAF-XL.jpg

474554264_725TL-XL.jpg

Finally we arrived in Kingman Az and met up with kdog for some breakfast and an introduction to Route 66 in western Arizona, which of course means Oatman Az and the Hackberry General Store. Thanks again for all your suggestions, Joel.

The Oatman was where Clark Gable and Carole Lombard may or may not have spent their wedding night
475295877_LpvLp-XL.jpg

475297381_LN6ph-XL.jpg

485873770_Y65me-XL.jpg

485876737_xJXDi-XL.jpg

The old ATSF ( now BNSF ) Railroad runs near Rt 66 in western Az, and you can see trains go by frequently

485944872_KWdX6-XL.jpg

485942582_dnTUA-XL.jpg

483041122_5WnAg-XL.jpg

Amazingly, there are dozens of sets of Burma Shave signs which I thought had entirely disappeared. They look new too

483151924_T65WL-L.jpg

483150916_Y5Eon-L.jpg

483157184_YQLB6-L.jpg

483155356_J7zH9-L.jpg

483154535_7ZUtU-L.jpg

There are just a few of the shots on our trip. More can be seen here http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/7352201_9SahE#483151924_T65WL

Please leave a comment if you visit my gallery, for either praise or criticsm.
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    Jim,

Looks like an awesome trip and a great way to celebrate your years together! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    Stunning series Pathfinder!! Really difficult to pick a favorite!!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited March 8, 2009
    Excellent work, Jim. clap.gifclap Looks like you had a great trip.
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    Jim:

Great shots. I went through your gallery on your Smugmug as well and enjoyed "taking" the trip with you. It looks like you had quite the supply of gear with you as well!

How did the new 5DMII work out for you? Is it now your go to camera for most shots?

I see you still like sign pictures - very cool!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    Great job my friend clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 8, 2009
    Thanks guys for enjoying my trip.

George, I think I actually still used the 5D and my 50D more than their newer brother. Lots of my shots were done with a G10 as well. I tend to get less concerned with which camera I am using at the time, with a vague preference for larger sensors for landscapes and large panos, and APS sensors for wildlife. Nothing original in that type of preference. I think a well done shot with a lesser camera is more important than a poorly composed and executed shot with a better camera - usually, anyway.ne_nau.gif

Yes, I still do like "sign" pictures - I collect them wherever I see them.

Am I the only person who sees the pairing of these two signs somewhat ironic, or am I just overthinking it? (Shot with a G10 also)

485875781_xoPuF-L.jpg

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    Great pictures. Yes, I also find the sign picture humorous.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 8, 2009
    Excellent stuff! The snow panos and that golden light on the trees were fantastic!

And thanks for whetting my road trip appetite, I leave in less than 7 days now.

:ian
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 8, 2009
    Thanks Erik, I thought the trees in the golden light were the best of the lot also. You can't plan for those, but just grab them when they show up.

Her is another one of the trees

485416566_CbvXx-X2.jpg

Every year when I go out west for spring skiing, I remark about how lovely the red bushes along the creek beds are, but have never really captured the color and detail well on film. I think some of these are beginning to get close.

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 9, 2009
    Nice - you can see how its shaped by the wind too nod.gif

And btw, 17 days = fast?! Thanks to employers, rent, and bills, we have to make both oceans in 11 days! Vroooooom!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 9, 2009
    Fast?

5 days were in Big Sky, and ~4 were in Gardiner, and 2-3 were in Kingman, so we did not spend all of our time on the road.

I have a number of shots of Rt 66 in Arizona and Missouri, not so much in Oklahoma as much of it was driven through after dark.

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Looks like you had a good trip.
    I'm glad you made it to the eagle spot, I hope it was worth the stop to you.

Route 66 looks like it'd be a fun trip.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    What a fantasic series!!! I felt like I was going right along with you. Crystal clear clarity and wonderful color. I love the panos too. wings.gifclap.gif
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Beautiful pictures. iloveyou.gif
    Happy anniversary !clap.gif
    thumb.gifDthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Fabulous pics, iloveyou.gif thanks.bowdown.gif
  • slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    geat shots
    Jim,
    You never cease to amaze me! Great shots as usual. Loved all the picts. in your gallery.

Sheila
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Great set Jim, looks like a fun trip. I still need to get out to Yellowstone someday... Know a good guide? :D
    edited March 11, 2009
    I am afraid I can't help you about a guide. We did not use one, just wandered about along the northern highway in Yellowstone - the road from Gardiner, to Mammoth to Cooke City is the only road open to wheeled traffic in the winter.

We tried to hook up with Tom Murphy who has shot a lot of wildlife in winter in Yellowstone, but did not get an answer to our email. Google Tom Murphy - Yellowstone and and you'll find him.

• SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Great pictures! I just finished a trip from CA to AL with a lot of Route 66 stops along the way. I need to post some of my pictures up once I get a chance to go through all of them.

I can't believe how close you were to some of the coyotes on the road! There's also some amazing landscapes in the series. It's so hard to capture the true grandeur of the sites. But I can feel it in your shots. The train shots were also amazingly close. bowdown.gif

My favorite from the whole series is this shot. I think it captures the essense of the west with the history of Route 66.
    478638172_2WzCA-M.jpg

After looking through your series, I want to hit the road again even though I was on the road for a month! thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited March 16, 2009
    That stretch of Rt 66 from Cold Spring to Oatman is really cool old, narrow twisty road isn't it? A great road to ride carefully on two wheels or on four wheels even. There are mountain goats along it too.

I am glad you enjoyed a few of my images.clap.gif

Here's another one from Oatman that I hope captures some of the flavor of the old road

487792132_EpALN-XL.jpg

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 16, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    My favorite from the whole series is this shot. I think it captures the essense of the west with the history of Route 66.
    478638172_2WzCA-M.jpg
    Hey, I know that mountain, but didn't know there was a car there! eek7.gif I'm going to have to go back and get that shot. :D

Hey Jim, great Journey report! Amazing variety of pictures. The wildlife shots just blow me away. bowdown.gif

I felt a little bad that you drove all the way to Kingman for just such a short stay, and with bad weather to boot. However, after looking at your shots, I can see the time was put to good use here. You got some really special shots. I can't imagine what you'd create here if you had more than 24 hours!

Great meeting you and Nightingale. See you next time, and hopefully we'll find some time to shoot together.

-joel
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    These are great. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed all. Agree, a great way to celebrate your anniversary!
    Jaye
  • ccherokeccheroke Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    thanks for sharing your nice trip
    I really enjoyed seeing your pictures..I really liked the buffalo and scenes were good too. Great job.clap.gif
    edited April 2, 2009
    Joel, ladies, thank you for your kind comments.

Here is a shot I got at the Hackberry General Store

501278013_x5xYi-XL.jpg

And one from the Mid Point Cafe in Adrian Texas\

482640549_hP9Au-XL.jpg

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Jim,

Your just a really good photographer, simple as that.

Loved the shots thumb.gif
    Randy