Options

browser window (and computer) freezes up on access to www.smugmug.com

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
edited February 6, 2013 in Bug Reporting
This has been happening to me for quite a while and I can't imagine I am the only person who is seeing this. When I open www.smugmug.com (or sometimes when I am there and click login) both my browser window and my computer freeze. I am unable to do anything, including ctrl-alt-delete. The freeze seems to last forever but I suspect the unfreezes within a minute. That's still a long time.

I have seen this on Windows 7 and Windows 8.
I have seen this on Firefox (latest version), Chrome, IE9, IE10.

When it happened just now the info message on the bottom of the screen indicated that it was waiting for cdn3.smugmug.com.

I'd offer to help debug this but given that the computer just freezes I'm not sure what I can do.
Can you suggest any workarounds?

--- Denise

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2013
    Hi Denise,

I'm using Windows 7 64bit and a variety of browsers (IE9, Firefox, Chrome) pretty much all day long and what you describe I've never experienced.

You you have any addons, toolsbars or extensions installed on your browsers?

It seems very strange that your whole computer should freeze. That doesn't sound normal and a regular web page within a browser shouldn't be able to do such a thing. The only thing I can think of might be a malfunctioning browser addon or some malware, virus on your computer or perhaps a hardware issue.

What antivirus, ad blocking, firewall or Internet security software do you use?

What other programs do you have running on your computer, including any icons you can find in the tray area of your Windows task bar next to your clock. There may be also icons hidden for which you may have to click the arrow in the tray area to reveal them.

You could also check the Windows event log to see if for the times when the issue occurred, some entry was made in the logs. Here's how you can access the logs on Windows 7.

Do you have Windows 7 and 8 on the same machine?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited February 6, 2013
    You you have any addons, toolsbars or extensions installed on your browsers?

It seems very strange that your whole computer should freeze. That doesn't sound normal and a regular web page within a browser shouldn't be able to do such a thing. The only thing I can think of might be a malfunctioning browser addon or some malware, virus on your computer or perhaps a hardware issue.

What antivirus, ad blocking, firewall or Internet security software do you use?

What other programs do you have running on your computer, including any icons you can find in the tray area of your Windows task bar next to your clock. There may be also icons hidden for which you may have to click the arrow in the tray area to reveal them.

Do you have Windows 7 and 8 on the same machine?
    Thanks Rainforest.

I've seen this on three computers, my work (Windows 7), my home (Windows 8), my mother's computer (Vista).
    It usually only happens the first time I log in on that computer.

Work computer uses Symantec, home computer uses Windows defender.
    Different programs running on the two computers, firefox web dev in firefox, nothing in IE or Chrome. No addons on my mom's computer.

I'll try to get some more information when I get home tonight - but I'm sure it's not malware or a virus given that I've seen this on three different computers running 3 different versions of windows.

--- Denise