Options

Journal: Editing captions: Arrow keys jump to bottom of page

ilopixilopix Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited March 2, 2013 in Bug Reporting
I am using Journal in Gallery Settings as the format for one of my galleries (private, password-protected). Whenever I am entering/editing a caption and I use the left or right arrow key to move back or forward a few spaces (e.g. say to correct a misspelling) the screen jumps and drops me to someplace a few images down the page, and each time I have to scroll back up to the caption I was working on. It doesn't close the caption editor or lose what I was typing, it's just highly annoying and unproductive. It doesn't always do it right away, sometimes not till after I've typed and moved back and forth with the arrow more than 1 or 2 times. (I'm working on a photo essay so I have lengthy captions to type).

Firefox 7.0.1 - Windows XP Pro
www.ilophotogaphy.com

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 27, 2011
    Hi,

I am very sorry that you are seeing this. It is a known bug and it is on our list to be fixed in the future. I am afraid that I do not have a work around for this one either. I cannot give you a time estimate but look for a post on our release notes when that is updated. You can view the release notes here: http://news.smugmug.com/ I would recommend signing up for the RSS feed. Or by leaving a comment, you have the option to be notified by email when a new post is added.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2011
    Thanks for acknowledgement. It's hugely frustrating, now that I'm about 3 pages in I can't tell you how many times I've lost lines of text as it throws me back to a previous page altogether. When you only have 1 or 2 it doesn't close the edit box and just shoves you down on the page somewhere -- but have more than 1 or 2 pages and it's just bad. I hope there's a fix soon because Journal is not "past it's prime" and it's a format I planned to use a lot. I realize I can write offline and just paste it in but I'm very visual so it's a more refined process for me to view the image in the context of the story as I'm typing.

PS: I'm not finding the release notes you mention: "but look for a post on our release notes when that is updated. You can view the release notes here: http://news.smugmug.com/" ... it looks like a blog with Halloween pix and all kinds of posts. Is there one specifically for bug fixes that's easy to follow? Direction is appreciated :)
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    You could consider using the Tools button > many photos > caption / keyword tool for your journal galleries to prevent running into the issue.

Our news blog comes with tags. Check out the 'release notes' tag. You can find tags on the right side-bar.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2011
    Thanks to all who have replied. I'll give the many photos -> captions/keywords a whirl, not ideal but possibly a work-around for now, else I'll just have to do it offline.

Side note: I find working with tags (either bug fixes or release notes) highly cumbersome and ineffective. It requires reading through pages and pages of text to find anything, not knowing if it's even going to be there. What happened to the good old days of comprehensive searchable knowledgebase software that made it super simple to find what one is looking for? I have the same issue with dgrin forum where it's rare that I find what I'm looking for which means duplicate threads out of frustration (main reason is people don't enter relevant subjects ... "I need help" doesn't help anybody else) and the tags ... same problem. It might be improved if one could search on an exact phrase but keywords are always split if there is more than one word. So if I search keywords for "album description field" it comes back with "album, description, field" and irrelevant results. If I search tags with more than one word it comes back with Invalid Tag Specified.

Ok I'm done qwetching :)
  • Options
    John BertramJohn Bertram Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2013
    I was encouraged to find this thread, since I've been experiencing the exact same issue (screen craziness every time I use the left/right arrow keys while editing a caption in Journal view), and at least now I know it's not just my system that's causing it. Was also encouraged to see it acknowledged as a known bug, and already on the list to be fixed. But then I was more than a little DIScouraged to see how that acknowledgement was posted back in late October. And THEN I realized this "fix list" post wasn't from LAST October (2012), it was from October 2011!!! Holy Moley -- that's over a year and four months ago! Is there some kind of alien DNA embedded in the code that makes this particular bug impossible to squash? Time for a SmugMug Wizard to climb into his balloon and embark on a perilous and technically unexplainable journey -- and get this minor but highly annoying problem fixed.