Road trip

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited October 29, 2004 in Wildlife
The first of a handful of shots from a road trip this week. This one's from New Haven, at a park on Long Island Sound. Sure wish I could enter it in Landscapes, but I reckon it doesn't quite fit.

10253387-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    The first of a handful of shots from a road trip this week. This one's from New Haven, at a park on Long Island Sound. Sure wish I could enter it in Landscapes, but I reckon it doesn't quite fit.

10253387-S.jpg

ya drove right past me, dernit!

nice compo, and treatment. it's a 'scape imo.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    andy wrote:
    ya drove right past me, dernit!

nice compo, and treatment. it's a 'scape imo.
    You live in New Haven? I landed in Hartford, drove to New Haven, could've socialized on Thursday evening. But I thought you lived on Long Island?

Thank for the feedback, I may enter it. This was a week for work and also for discovering the DmkII. A few interesting conclusions.

* I think the whole ISO business is a bit of a sham. 800 on the mkII is slower than 800 on the 1D, IMHO. I noticed that I had to dial in a lot more ISO in evening shots, than I do with the 1D.

* If you shoot at high ISO, make sure you get the exposure correct in camera. If you try to increase the RAW exposure in your computer, you'll suddenly introduce lots of noise.

* Soft images out of the camera. I believe this has been discussed at length elsewhere. No big deal if Contrast and Sharpening fix it.

* A red cast to some outdoors shots. I notice that if I slide the Hue slider a wee bit I can get rid of it. I tried to find references to this on Rob Galbraith and was unsuccessful. I believe it's been discussed elsewere, and I shall continue to look for the solutions that others have found.

* Considering I'm using an almost new camera, the damn sensor got dirty quickly. This, despite my attempts to limit lens changes. umph.gif

* I love the color channel histogram display.

* The LCD seems brighter than on the 1D.

* I think I concur that battery life is longer, but I'm not sure. File sizes are so much larger, that although the battery last longer in terms of time, I think it may be because I'm taking fewer shots. ne_nau.gif

* I love being able to zoom in on the LCD to check focus.

Love the camera. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited October 25, 2004
    Another one from the trip. This is a bridge over a river in New Haven, at the Fire Training Academy. Apparently a 6 year old boy slipped/was pushed by a friend into the river, was missing for a few days until they finally found his body. While he was still missing, people started putting these stuffed animals on the bridge over the water. Even though the incident happened weeks ago, the stuffed animals have been allowed to remain, apparently as a silent memorial to the child.

Quite sad.

10348709-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    i'm actually in westchester county ny, just north of manhattan. not long island, not new haven. but, you were close by :D

i think regarding hi iso, nailing the exposure is key on any camera. pushing in post always introduces noise in my experience...

there's loads of moaning and groaning about the "red" issue over on dpreview 1d/1ds forum.... seems relatively minor issue, i would hope?
    wxwax wrote:
    You live in New Haven? I landed in Hartford, drove to New Haven, could've socialized on Thursday evening. But I thought you lived on Long Island?

Thank for the feedback, I may enter it. This was a week for work and also for discovering the DmkII. A few interesting conclusions.

* I think the whole ISO business is a bit of a sham. 800 on the mkII is slower than 800 on the 1D, IMHO. I noticed that I had to dial in a lot more ISO in evening shots, than I do with the 1D.

* If you shoot at high ISO, make sure you get the exposure correct in camera. If you try to increase the RAW exposure in your computer, you'll suddenly introduce lots of noise.

* Soft images out of the camera. I believe this has been discussed at length elsewhere. No big deal if Contrast and Sharpening fix it.

* A red cast to some outdoors shots. I notice that if I slide the Hue slider a wee bit I can get rid of it. I tried to find references to this on Rob Galbraith and was unsuccessful. I believe it's been discussed elsewere, and I shall continue to look for the solutions that others have found.

* Considering I'm using an almost new camera, the damn sensor got dirty quickly. This, despite my attempts to limit lens changes. umph.gif

* I think I concur that battery life is longer, but I'm not sure. File sizes are so much larger, that although the battery last longer in terms of time, I think it may be because I'm taking fewer shots. ne_nau.gif

Love the camera. nod.gif
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

Beautiful photo! thumb.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
    edited October 28, 2004
    New Haven, campus of Yale University.

10490778-L.jpg
    Sid.
    edited October 28, 2004

10491470-L.jpg
    Sid.
    edited October 28, 2004
    New Haven, campus of Yale University

10492211-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited October 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    This was a week for work and also for discovering the DmkII. A few interesting conclusions.

Love the camera. nod.gif
    My first experience with the 1DMkll was shooting an airshow this summer in/after a rain with 100-400, and my sensor got dirtier in an afternoon than my 10D had in a year of travel in my tank bag on my bike. And I did not even change the 100-400. The trombone zoom was part of the problem, but boy did it get grungy - I Elclipsed it and have has less problem since.

I do not find the images soft but contrast and saturation are low at the default setting, but look good after changing the default saturation settings.

I have not succeeded in draining the battery in one day yet even using lots of IS lenses all day long. thumb.gif

The Canon site you posted about digital shooting was great - very busy - but great
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

10491470-M.jpg
    Nice set Sid. I like this one the best. Very nice conversion to b&w. Are you happy with your 1DmII? I'm still looking forward to something heavy in my stocking this year :D .
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited October 28, 2004
    Yes, I do indeed like the mkII, and I'm happy I got it. As Pathfinder says, the battery appears to last a lot longer. I have yet to screw up my courage to clean the sensor. I hope Santa Claus is kind to you!

The reason a lot of these shots are B&W is because I made the shots in overcast, evening conditions - color looked washed out, contrasty B&W helped. I'm still no good with the Free Transform tool to correct the perspective of the buildings - they're better, but still slightly unnatural to my eye. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 28, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    ...The trombone zoom was part of the problem, but boy did it get grungy - I Elclipsed it and have has less problem since.
    What do you mean by "Eclipsed it"?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 28, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    What do you mean by "Eclipsed it"?

Ian
    I used a Sensor swab and Eclipse solution ( reagant grade methyl alcohol)

You can read all about it here - http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/sensor-cleaning.shtml

edited October 28, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I used a Sensor swab and Eclipse solution ( reagant grade methyl alcohol)

You can read all about it here - http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/sensor-cleaning.shtml
    Been there, done that. Thought you had discovered an easier method :)

I have been using one of those "rocket" like blowers with some success (it's
    shapped like a rocket).

Ian
    edited October 28, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Been there, done that. Thought you had discovered an easier method :)

I have been using one of those "rocket" like blowers with some success (it's
    shapped like a rocket).

Ian
    I am very interested in the Visible dust brush and went so far as to order the pro setup and then when I submitted my order I was declined. Later I found out that they are 4 - 6 weeks backordered and that is why my overnight order was declined umph.gif So I will have to try again later. The reports for the Visible dust brush sound very encouraging.

edited October 29, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am very interested in the Visible dust brush and went so far as to order the pro setup and then when I submitted my order I was declined. Later I found out that they are 4 - 6 weeks backordered and that is why my overnight order was declined umph.gif So I will have to try again later. The reports for the Visible dust brush sound very encouraging.
    It sounds interesting. I wonder how many times you can expect to use the
    brush? It sounds almost unlimited as long as you keep it clean and clean the
    brush w/canned air to "charge" it.

Ian
    edited October 29, 2004
    I have the kit but haven't used it yet. Maybe this weekend.
    Sid.