Options

Custom domain and menu links

FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
edited July 24, 2016 in Bug Reporting
I ran across an issue that may be confusing. I tested it in only one direction. It's minor but as it might confuse people may be worth it...

At least in theory, I think that a smugmug site with a custom domain should also be able to operate with the non-custom domain, right?

The menu links when you choose a page (did not check others) appear, however, to hard code the custom domain. My GUESS is they may do so for the smugmug domain if created under it and you later change to a custom domain.

So for example at my site (www.captivephotons.com) if you use the top level menu to pick something, say FSW Sports, Baseball, you end up still in the custom domain.

But if you start at linwoodferguson.smugmug.com and do the same thing, instead of ending up still in the smugmug domain, it switches. Moreover, it also switches protocol if I started at https://linwoodferguson.smugmug.com, you end up at http://www.captivephotons.com.

When I look in the menu link, Smugmug has given me the friendly name - it doesn't expose the URL, so it would appear that you cannot edit it (other than, my guess, by starting in the other domain and picking again). More specifically it must contain an absolute rather than a relative link, which is what you would want I think.

And indeed if you look at the generated code it stores absolute links not relative ones.

My suggestion is that the menu picker and/or generation notice when you select a link in the same web site, and store relative links, so that people:

- Who start with a non-custom domain don't stash absolute links to it that remain if they switch, and
- Who want to switch back and forth for some reason (testing, to use HTTPS, etc.) can

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2016
    Hi there,
    If you add a custom domain to your SmugMug site, this domain would be your main address and all links that you don't hard code using the "custom url" setting would use the custom domain. That ensures that even if people still have an old link for your site using your SmugMug address, any links on that page would switch them over to the custom domain as that's your new main site address. That's also important for SEO as search engines would also be pointed to your custom domain so eventually the SmugMug address links lose importance to get the custom domain up in results.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2016
    Interesting. I did just rig up a test, and it does indeed appear to be as you describe. I created a whole new page, put a new menu on it, all while operating under the nickname. The menu link hard codes to the custom domain.

I thought it was hard coding to the then-current page domain.

I kind of understand your philosophy in forcing one to the absolute path from the custom domain. I had taken some pains on links I built (in HTML) to use relative links, but I now see that automatic links such as galleries shown in folders use absolute links as well.

Personally I think you ought to use relative links for everything. But I understand what you are trying to do.

Sorry for the diversion.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator
    edited July 23, 2016
    Ferguson wrote: »
    Personally I think you ought to use relative links for everything. But I understand what you are trying to do.
    I would also prefer that relative links be used. If the viewer starts with the smug URL, continue using it. If the viewer starts on the custom domain, stay there.

--- Denise
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited July 24, 2016
    I would also prefer that relative links be used. If the viewer starts with the smug URL, continue using it. If the viewer starts on the custom domain, stay there.

This seems counter to all the requests to have the Share Panel links always point to the custom domain. If we implemented relative links, I'd have everyone complaining about not using their custom domain. We tend to take the more conservative route here, since we're talking about visible links here, to always use the Custom Domain.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator
    edited July 24, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    This seems counter to all the requests to have the Share Panel links always point to the custom domain. If we implemented relative links, I'd have everyone complaining about not using their custom domain. We tend to take the more conservative route here, since we're talking about visible links here, to always use the Custom Domain.
    I'd just like the option of having my smug URL available. It doesn't happen often, but if the custom domain is not available for some reason my site would still be available using the smug URL. It's not like I'm asking for something new; legacy smug provided this.

As far as causing issues with other users - if the user sets links on his or her site to specify the custom domain, always use the custom domain. If the user specifies relative links, stay with the URL that the user specified on entry to the site.

It also seems quite odd to me that if the smug url is used I remain on that url for the pages that are accessed from my menu. In addition, the smug URL sticks for the keyword and popular photo pages. It's not until I click to a folder or a gallery that the URL changes to my custom domain.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »

Like Denise, I think it is nice to be able to test outside of the custom domain for any number of issues, e.g. DNS problems, to test https, etc. It's not a huge issue, but there's a certain inconsistency in the reverse logic. If you really wanted to ensure we were always in the custom domain, why let us land in the nickname domain at all -- why are they all not redirected right then and there, rather than letting us browse around for a while and then on hitting a menu or gallery-on-folder, having it flip?

I also don't see the connection to the share panel. To get there in the nickname domain I have to consciously decide to use the nickname domain. I.e. I make a choice before I get to the share panel, and it seems just fine to then honor that choice.

To me I think consistency is worth a lot. If you really think you should force people off the nickname domain, why not do a redirect all the time from the nickname domain? Having it half-way enforced just seems like someone made a mistake (take your pick which one) and decided to pronounce it a feature. But then again I'm a cynic. rolleyes1.gif