Options

Right click protection help - security of photos

rachel29002rachel29002 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited September 27, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Hi

I've been using smugmug for a while content in the knowledge that my photos were right-click protected.

However, I discovered by accident that if a viewer clicks for a link to share the photo, the photo can then be right clicked and saved.

I'm not a professional and for me this probably isn't a commercial worry but it must be for some.

Smugmug - how is this possible? How do I prevent it?

Comments

• Options
    rachel29002rachel29002 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 27, 2015
    OK so this is not a smugmug glitch, it's me being daft. I have to go through and remove the share option from my galleries - is there a quick way?
  • Options
    ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    I'm not sure if there is a one click solution (could be wrong) Unless you have lots of galleries shouldn't take to long to disable the share option on a folder by folder basis.

How large are you displaying your images on SM? I use the X2 size which roughly equates to the same size I share my images on social media. I try not to worry too much about people saving images. Whether you have right-click protection enabled or not, saving an image is just as simple as taking a screenshot.

The only way to truely prevent possible theft is to either A) watermark your images to hell B) upload only thumbnail sized images C) don't upload at all.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    You can change gallery settings for all galleries in a folder at once. See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1240194-how-do-i-change-settings-for-multiple-galleries-at-once-.

On the right click front, that setting is very poorly named. That setting pops up a warning message but it does not protect your photos. As Shinrya said above, anyone can take a screen shot. And your image can be easily grabbed from the browser cache in seconds. Do a quick search for
    copy image from browser cache
    to see documentation on how to grab images in different browsers.

Funny, I wrote about this on legacy smug over 5 years ago in the thread ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION. It's still true today - it's not a smugmug thing, it's the way of life if you're presenting your photos in a browser.

--- Denise