Options

What is SM response to this glitch?

havanesehavanese Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited September 25, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Have you read this story on PetaPixel?

http://petapixel.com/2015/09/23/this-smugmug-glitch-may-be-quietly-damaging-your-photo-business/

I have used customs messages before so I'm sure it messed me up.
Randy P.
Fuji X shooter
Thoughts and Images

Comments

• Options
    Djm3006Djm3006 Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2015
    havanese wrote: »
    Have you read this story on PetaPixel?

http://petapixel.com/2015/09/23/this-smugmug-glitch-may-be-quietly-damaging-your-photo-business/

I have used customs messages before so I'm sure it messed me up.

Very interesting
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    We are digging into this right now, making sure we understand the exact scenario that appears to have a bug. It looks like it affects Events where you are manually registering guests, and changing the template for those guests (which it looks like they get the updates just fine), AND then have open registration for that same event. Those people who come and register aren't getting the updated template, but the people you added did.

At least that is my understanding of the situation right now. As far as I can tell, this is the first report we have had of this issue in the years since we added Events. We take it seriously though, and are looking into it.

I'll update this thread once we know exactly the scope of what is broken, and when it will be fixed (likely quite soon).
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    A quick update: We have a fix in testing. Once we are sure it fixes it, and doesn't break anything new, I will update more. :)
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    Okay, we have deployed a fix for this issue. Obviously we are embarrassed any time we have a bug, and not just when it gets blog coverage.

It did turn out to be the scenario I outlined earlier. In order to run into this issue, you had to be using Event Marketing (http://help.smugmug.com/customer/en/portal/articles/83125-how-do-i-create-and-share-events-?b_id=1644 ) set up to allow anonymous Guest Registration. Once you have that, you have to actually manually create a participant instead of letting them all register themselves, and then change the response to that particular participant and then save it as a template for all responses. After you have created that participant and template, anonymous guests coming to your event and registering would get the generic template instead of the new template in error.

This was the first report we could find of this particular issue. While it's obviously an unpleasant way to get a bug report, we are happy we were able to identify and get it fixed so quickly. We've spent a lot of time lately improving our internal bug tracking and response, and have fixed bugs faster in the last few months than at nearly any point in our history.

To clarify a bit of confusion, this wouldn't have affected the "share email" feature at all. Those are entirely separate, all the emails you shared with your customers would have the custom text you typed in there. Looking at your site to make sure you weren't affected by the bug havanese, it looks like maybe that was the confusion? You should be in the clear there.

I'm happy to answer any questions or address any concerns!
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    havanesehavanese Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2015
    Ben wrote: »
    Okay, we have deployed a fix for this issue. Obviously we are embarrassed any time we have a bug, and not just when it gets blog coverage.

It did turn out to be the scenario I outlined earlier. In order to run into this issue, you had to be using Event Marketing (http://help.smugmug.com/customer/en/portal/articles/83125-how-do-i-create-and-share-events-?b_id=1644 ) set up to allow anonymous Guest Registration. Once you have that, you have to actually manually create a participant instead of letting them all register themselves, and then change the response to that particular participant and then save it as a template for all responses. After you have created that participant and template, anonymous guests coming to your event and registering would get the generic template instead of the new template in error.

This was the first report we could find of this particular issue. While it's obviously an unpleasant way to get a bug report, we are happy we were able to identify and get it fixed so quickly. We've spent a lot of time lately improving our internal bug tracking and response, and have fixed bugs faster in the last few months than at nearly any point in our history.

To clarify a bit of confusion, this wouldn't have affected the "share email" feature at all. Those are entirely separate, all the emails you shared with your customers would have the custom text you typed in there. Looking at your site to make sure you weren't affected by the bug havanese, it looks like maybe that was the confusion? You should be in the clear there.

I'm happy to answer any questions or address any concerns!

No that clarifies it for me. Glad it's been corrected now.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images