Vertical alignment of Site text

AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
edited April 16, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
In my header I have logo, Site Name Text (with a tag line) and nav menu.

Is there anyway of centering the Site text ("Ace Coote Photography") and the tag line ("Sports Photography, Kingston SE") VERTICALLY.

It looks like the tag line creates another line below the site name (but this means there is more vacant space above the site name than below the tag line)

Thank you for any assistance
My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
www.acecootephotography.com

Comments

• ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2014
    I can't tell what you're seeing - this section looks good to me, centered to itself both horizontally and vertically.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited April 15, 2014
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    Is there anyway of centering the Site text ("Ace Coote Photography") and the tag line ("Sports Photography, Kingston SE") VERTICALLY.
    You've probably already checked this, but just in case... Is there any padding set (in the Dimensions box) for the top margin of the content element that contains the site text and tag line?

--- Denise
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2014
    Hi Chancy - I get THAT look on small screens. On a larger screen (say 15" or larger), the logo sits to the left of the Site name and tag line

Hi Denise. Yes I'm afraid I have done that. At the moment top padding is 5px and bottom is 10px.
    I tried setting a top margin of -10px but only the logo moved (part of it extended above my blue header bar) but it didn't make much difference (that I could see) to the Site name and tag line.

I'm starting to think it is a design omission by Smugmug.
    If I remove the tag line the Site name looks OK ... but when I add the tag line, it just gets pushed under the Site name.
    In my mind adding the tag line should result in the site name moving up a bit.

Thank you to you both for having a look - much appreciated.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited April 16, 2014
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    Hi Denise. Yes I'm afraid I have done that. At the moment top padding is 5px and bottom is 10px. I tried setting a top margin of -10px but only the logo moved (part of it extended above my blue header bar) but it didn't make much difference (that I could see) to the Site name and tag line.
    Ah, I was thinking that there were two elements side-by-side, one containing the logo and one containing text. I'm not sure I would try changing to two content elements though as I find the placement of those elements to be quite fiddly.

--- Denise
    edited April 16, 2014
    Thank you Denise for your thoughts - value them highly.
    edited April 16, 2014
    I'm not sure what you want to have happen, but here are four images I see, tiny, average, wide-ish, and full screen.

My monitor is about 26 inches across.

http://www.joinrats.com/photos/i-cJdNLKs/0/O/i-cJdNLKs.jpg
    http://www.joinrats.com/photos/i-Bk4CkvM/0/O/i-Bk4CkvM.jpg
    http://www.joinrats.com/photos/i-9XpF23f/0/O/i-9XpF23f.jpg
    http://www.joinrats.com/photos/i-4Gdwwn3/0/O/i-4Gdwwn3.jpg

i-9XpF23f.jpg

i-4Gdwwn3.jpg

i-9XpF23f.jpg

i-Bk4CkvM.jpg
    edited April 16, 2014
    The only one I left out is super-tiny, which loses the menu altogether (apparently that's for small device viewing).
    edited April 16, 2014
    Wow!! Thank you so much for going to all that trouble.
    For those that come across this thread:
    I contacted SmugHelp desk and after a couple of to and fro's came to the conclusion that the logo/header content block is not able to vertically align text and nor does it have the capability to make adjustments at the pixel level.

The work around is to create an image with the logo and text and then insert that image as the logo image.
    Then it's a little bit of fiddling with size and padding.
    I have it as I wanted it ... so all good.

Once again thanks to Denise and ChancyRat - very much appreciate your time/opinions