Options

Create large client gallery

mbridge87mbridge87 Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited April 17, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
Hello,

Having a little trouble with this and sorry if I'm missing something very basic.

My entire site layout is currently set to:

Stretchy
Fill height - off
and
body width to auto

I have it set up like this so that when clients view their private "event" galleries the gallery is large and fills the page. My portfolio galleries are much smaller, width wise, by comparison.

My problem is that I cannot seem to figure out how to change the event page (as in an event I have created) to being a smaller size while retaining that large client gallery.

Have a look through this guest link for the event and you will see what I mean

http://www.maxbridge.co.uk/event/Smugmug-test-event/F1niJCyY7BZTM

I'd like the event page to be much thinner while the gallery remains fullscreen "ish".

Any help would be great...I have a feeling I have missed something obvious.

Comments

• Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited April 9, 2014
    The event pages pull their look from your Entire Site customization. So if your entire site is set to be the width of the page then that is how your event will look. What you could do is set your entire site to be a fixed size. Then set your homepage, folders, and gallery pages to all be stretchy.
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2014
    Hi Eric

Thanks for the reply,

I tried doing this before but it didn't work, it was my first thought actually.

I've just tried again and it's still not working. The event page does become the width of the entire site but the gallery will not remain large, it too becomes restricted to whatever the entire site is set to. Just in case I did something wrong my setting were:

Entire site: Layout - Fixed
    Width - 1100px
    FIll Height - Off
    Centered - on
    Sections:
    Header width - 1100px
    Body width 975px
    Footer width 1100px

Homepage, all galleries and folders: Layout - Stretchy
    Fill Height - Off
    Body width - Auto for All folders and Galleries but 960px for the Homepage (I wanted to limit this).

Using these settings it does not work. I'm assuming it must be quite simple as I'm sure I've seen others with it I just don't know whats causing it on mine. I even took a look through my CSS but nothing could be interfering there? I'm very confused.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2014
    I just got an email from smugmug support which said that I won't be able to have a gallery display any wider than what the entire site is set to. Of course this makes sense but I'm sure I've seen other people do this...any thoughts
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2014
    You make the gallery custom and that will ignore the entire site settings. Then you should be able to set the width for the page that you want.
    Eric
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2014
    Are /event/ pages actually customizable now? I thought they were still basically a holdover from the old site, and that you couldn't really do a lot to the layout? I'm in an old event link on my site while logged in, and I cannot access the customization tools at all.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2014
    The event page pulls your entire site customization. And the galleries should pull the settings from your gallery customization.
    Eric
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2014
    Hey Eric,

Thanks for your replies and sorry for the delay in my response, been working. I've just tried again and I still cannot get this to work. I've even, nervously, tried deleting all of my CSS in case something was somehow interfering. I tried setting the entire site to fixed and limiting the width to 975px. I then set the gallery to being custom and put it on stretchy and auto. This still made no difference. The gallery was only as wide as I set the entire site to be.

Really confused here...
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2014
    I looked into your customization. On your entire site you have the header, body, and footer width all set to be 1100px. Then on the other pages you have your folders set to 975px and your homepage and galleries set to auto. So those are inheriting that width, even though you have the page set to stretchy.
    Eric
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2014
    Hi Eric,

Thanks for taking a look. I've set it up like that as it's the only way that looks good. I did try setting everything up as you suggested but it didn't work hence I put it back to being how you saw it. To be clear the gallery would be full screen only if I set the entire site to being stretchy with a body width of auto. This however maintained the original issue of the events page stretching across the entire page and looking very ugly.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something but it seems impossible to have the events page width limited to say 975px and the gallery to be anything larger than that. Even when I "set this gallery to custom" it stays within the entire site boundaries.

Thanks for all the help...
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2014
    It looks like that body constraint for your entire site is affecting all of your galleries, not just the ones in your events. I hadn't used that feature much and it seems to be taking precedence over the other settings. If you remove those, set the entire site to a fixed width, then set the galleries to be stretchy does it give you the same result?
    Eric
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2014
    Hey Eric. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

OK. Entire site is now set to "Fixed" with a width of 1100px. The sections are all set to auto. I changed "all galleries" to "stretchy" with width set to auto...same problem I'm afraid. I also tried making the gallery custom again but this also had no effect.

I'm well and truly stumped with this. Stupid question, most likely, but is there any css I could use that would specify the page width of the events page? I've tried looking before but nothing worked.

Thanks again mate.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2014
    Alright, this should work. Under entire site, set the layout to stretchy, but the header and footer to the width you want. The 1100 you have now will work. But set the body to auto. then for your homepage and folders set a fixed width, or stretchy with a width for the body section. Then in the galleries set it to stretchy and auto for the body width.
    Eric
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2014
    Hey Eric,

As always, thanks for the response.

I've tried what you suggested but the events page still fills the width of the page. Unless I'm mistaken it seems as though there is no way around this. The only way to adjust the width of the events page is to restrict my entire site page, however, this always causes the gallery to be restricted to that width also.

I may just have to cope with things how they are but it really is a shame. Hopefully smugmug will allow editing of events pages soon. It seems silly that you can't do this as standard.

Thanks for all the help! If anything else comes to mind do let me know.
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2014
    Here's a thread in the Feature Request forum asking for the ability to customize event pages. Just in case you want to add your voice to the request...