Options

Everyone please wait for your Tern

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited September 18, 2014 in Wildlife
Wetlands are still dry, drought in CA has contributed to lack of wildlife, Tules are still very cordial, so I went back to the beach.

All criticism and feedback is cherished!

1)

IMG_9822-X3.jpg

2)

IMG_9000-X3.jpg

3)

IMG_9008-X3.jpg

4)

IMG_9259-X3.jpg

5)

IMG_9368-X3.jpg

6)

IMG_9508-X3.jpg

7)

IMG_9635-X3.jpg

8)

IMG_9589-X3.jpg

9)

IMG_9590-X3.jpg

10)

IMG_9726-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    hstrynrdhstrynrd Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2014
    Fantastic b/w on #4. The transluscent feathers really stand out. #9 is also fantastically focused.
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2014
    hstrynrd wrote: »
    Fantastic b/w on #4. The transluscent feathers really stand out. #9 is also fantastically focused.

Thanks! I was thinking angels in some of those and b&w brings a focus on it...I thought! Much appreciate the comment! Cheers!
  • Options
    Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2014
    All nice thumb.gif but there's just something about number 2 that catches my eye more than the others. Maybe the angle it was shot headscratch.gif

Spinner :D
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    I agree with Spinner that number 2 is an eye catcher (is that a bird name?)

The resolution and dof is excellent on number #3.

I also like #7 - black and white, mirror image in foreground and composition. I do think that if the eye was more in focus and perhaps a tad brighter that it would be a favorite too.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    All nice thumb.gif but there's just something about number 2 that catches my eye more than the others. Maybe the angle it was shot headscratch.gif

Spinner :D

Thanks spinner! I think these are Plovers??? (Hunter would know:D). They are small and feed at the edge of the beach and I was as low to ground as my tummy would allow! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    I agree with Spinner that number 2 is an eye catcher (is that a bird name?)

The resolution and dof is excellent on number #3.

I also like #7 - black and white, mirror image in foreground and composition. I do think that if the eye was more in focus and perhaps a tad brighter that it would be a favorite too.

Phil

Thanks Phil! #2 to best of my knowledge are Plovers. For #7, no one goes after gulls, but this jumped out and I broke rules and centered it on purpose. #3 is Godwit....I think they are kind of endangered so glad I got one! Much appreciate your feedback as always!wings.gif
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks Phil! #2 to best of my knowledge are Plovers. For #7, no one goes after gulls, but this jumped out and I broke rules and centered it on purpose. #3 is Godwit....I think they are kind of endangered so glad I got one! Much appreciate your feedback as always!wings.gif

I was trying to be funny about "eye catcher", but I forgot to include a "smiles" icon. :ivar

Regarding 7 - I like it centered and I know it breaks the almighty "rule of thirds" or "golden mean", but those rules are made to be broken IMO. I do think that little sharpening on the eye and maybe exposure or something else would really enhance it.

Your work is good enough that you could change careers IMO. ne_nau.gif

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks spinner! I think these are Plovers??? (Hunter would know:D). They are small and feed at the edge of the beach and I was as low to ground as my tummy would allow! rolleyes1.gif

Not Plovers, Sanderlings. They have 3 toes but all three face forward unlike most others that have one in the back.
  • Options
    Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    This is a great set of shots but my favorite is #3 the Marbled Godwit in flight, awesome shot!
  • Options
    Thanks Hunter! Appreciate all your help and info! Cheers!!
  • Options
    I was trying to be funny about "eye catcher", but I forgot to include a "smiles" icon. :ivar

Regarding 7 - I like it centered and I know it breaks the almighty "rule of thirds" or "golden mean", but those rules are made to be broken IMO. I do think that little sharpening on the eye and maybe exposure or something else would really enhance it.

Your work is good enough that you could change careers IMO. ne_nau.gif

Phil

Hah! Sorry Phil, sophisticated sense of humor does not work on no ignerts!:D
  • Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2014
    Hi, I really like the 'action' in #2 (looking for food - found food). When I saw #3 I thought the OOF water background looked like cloud, and that you had somehow managed to photograph the Godwit at 30,000 ft :D

A beautiful series of shots.

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2014
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi, I really like the 'action' in #2 (looking for food - found food). When I saw #3 I thought the OOF water background looked like cloud, and that you had somehow managed to photograph the Godwit at 30,000 ft :D

A beautiful series of shots.

Cheers, Richard.

Thanks Richard!! When they land on right BG, life is good! Cheers m8!