Options

Alaskan Brown Bear with Cub - Denali

bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited September 11, 2014 in Wildlife
An Alaskan Brown bear with cub in Denali National Park. Handheld (out the window of a bus), Canon 6d, 100-400 @ 370. Took about 50 shots, this was the best.

Brown%26CubDenali-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2014
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2014
    Sweet!
  • Options
    Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2014
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2014
    Great catch Len... mother and cub no less!
    I did the same thing out the bus door in Denali, and bagged me a Moose.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited August 21, 2014
    Great capture!
  • Options
    wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2014
    You took good advantage of a great photo op. :cool
    Steve
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2014
    Thanks everyone for taking a look.
    -Len
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited August 27, 2014
    At least your bus didn't catch fire like ours did lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    IntrepidBerkeleyExplorerIntrepidBerkeleyExplorer Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2014
    I recall that nobody is allowed off the bus in Denali when Grizzlies are sighted. The rules impose safety to the detriment of photography. Foolish bravery not allowed.

Easy to remember taking video from bus windows at Denali. Photographed my first Moose that way, while he was in motion.

No such luck with Grizzlies on the bus. A mother and two cubs were sleeping close to the road. I kept wasting video film on them, although they hardly moved over a long period of time.

Congratulations on doing so much better.

When I finally got off the bus and looked for wildlife, all I found was the Ptarmigan, state bird of Alaska. Thought it was an arctic chicken at the time. Wrong! At least video was good for recording the Ptarmigan's call.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    Thanks Berkeley..... you are right, no getting off the bus. It stops for wildlife, but you don't get out. Most of the wildlife was so far away you would need the Hubble to see them. We took the 11 hour bus ride out to the end of the road.... kinda grueling, and oh my, the driver was a talker.
    -Len
    I recall that nobody is allowed off the bus in Denali when Grizzlies are sighted. The rules impose safety to the detriment of photography. Foolish bravery not allowed.

Easy to remember taking video from bus windows at Denali. Photographed my first Moose that way, while he was in motion.

No such luck with Grizzlies on the bus. A mother and two cubs were sleeping close to the road. I kept wasting video film on them, although they hardly moved over a long period of time.

Congratulations on doing so much better.

When I finally got off the bus and looked for wildlife, all I found was the Ptarmigan, state bird of Alaska. Thought it was an arctic chicken at the time. Wrong! At least video was good for recording the Ptarmigan's call.
  • Options
    wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2014
    Nice catch! thumb.gif
    Steve