Options

Tule Elk - Point Reyes Seashore

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited September 11, 2014 in Wildlife
Didn't know it before, but Tule Elk is only found in California! Like most other wildlife here, it was pushed to extinction, but conservation efforts have brought some species back. Point Reyes is a National treasure, and part of it is "Tule Elk Reserve".

Below are my attempts. All criticism and helpful pointers are cherished.

1)

IMG_7497-X3.jpg

2)

IMG_7384-X3.jpg

3)

IMG_7475-X3.jpg

4)

IMG_7498-X3.jpg

5)

IMG_7494-X3.jpg

6)

IMG_7500-X3.jpg

7)

IMG_7506-X3.jpg

8)

IMG_7513-X3.jpg

9)

IMG_7523-X3.jpg

10)

IMG_7524-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2014
    Some really fine images. #2 is a great portrait, I might be tempted to clone out the partial elk in the back ground. In a couple of months, these guys won't be so cordial with each other. thumb.gifthumb
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    mstrozewskimstrozewski Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2014
    Great shots. Love the light, helps to create crisp images. I really like #2 as well.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2014
    Two is my favorite also.

I would also work with 3, and 9 - crop tighter and if possible make 9 a landscape shot.

Well done.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2014
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Some really fine images. #2 is a great portrait, I might be tempted to clone out the partial elk in the back ground. In a couple of months, these guys won't be so cordial with each other. thumb.gifthumb

Thanks Roaddog! Much appreciated! I learned about the rutting season, and I plan to catch it! Cheers!
    Cloned out the partial elk, may have to reload to refresh the cache.
    Great shots. Love the light, helps to create crisp images. I really like #2 as well.

Thanks Mz. T! As some call it, "Lingering light"!clap.gif
    Love the light in your shots always! Cheers!
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2014
    Two is my favorite also.

I would also work with 3, and 9 - crop tighter and if possible make 9 a landscape shot.

Well done.

Phil

Thanks Phil! Much appreciated! For 3, I had the landscape in mind to highlight the surroundings but I did also love the female grazing so didn't know which way to go. For 9, at the moment it was shot, I moved to get this guy with somewhat better BG and at the time wanted portrait with rising hills. I did not leave enough room in the bottom to make it complete landscape, but gave both ideas a try here! I must say I LIKE the results, despite original intent! Thanks always for helpful feedback! Cheers!

IMG_7475-X3.jpg

IMG_7523-X3.jpg
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks Phil! Much appreciated! For 3, I had the landscape in mind to highlight the surroundings but I did also love the female grazing so didn't know which way to go. For 9, at the moment it was shot, I moved to get this guy with somewhat better BG and at the time wanted portrait with rising hills. I did not leave enough room in the bottom to make it complete landscape, but gave both ideas a try here! I must say I LIKE the results, despite original intent! Thanks always for helpful feedback! Cheers!

Color me envious. Never had or made an opportunity to get such great shots.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2014
    Beautiful creatures and beautiful shots. Others have pointed out crits so I'll just admire the shots :)
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2014
    IPClark wrote: »
    Beautiful creatures and beautiful shots. Others have pointed out crits so I'll just admire the shots :)

Thanks Ian! Much appreciated!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited August 31, 2014
    Awesome! Been a while since I've been up that way to see the herd. Great pics!

Point Reyes has a lot of very cool stuff to see. Love the hike from the Visitor Center out to the coast. You pass through so many cool environments.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    Awesome! Been a while since I've been up that way to see the herd. Great pics!

Point Reyes has a lot of very cool stuff to see. Love the hike from the Visitor Center out to the coast. You pass through so many cool environments.

Thanks Ian! If you do come here, give me a ping! Love to go shooting! The best part about this preserve is that you can hike through it and see various Elk herds. There are certainly more goodies in Point Reyes...Chimney Rock and Abbot's Lagoon are on my to do list. Most importantly there is an 9 mile approach, not very difficult to ALMERE FALLS. This giant waterfall literally drops into the ocean. Because of the approach I suspect more serious photographers have not made the journey due to gear and it probably requires hiking in dark or camping if you want to catch golden light! Cheers!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited August 31, 2014
    Thanks Ian! If you do come here, give me a ping! Love to go shooting! The best part about this preserve is that you can hike through it and see various Elk herds. There are certainly more goodies in Point Reyes...Chimney Rock and Abbot's Lagoon are on my to do list. Most importantly there is an 9 mile approach, not very difficult to ALMERE FALLS. This giant waterfall literally drops into the ocean. Because of the approach I suspect more serious photographers have not made the journey due to gear and it probably requires hiking in dark or camping if you want to catch golden light! Cheers!

I've backpacked there a few times. Haven't been out to the falls in a while. The ideal thing would be to hike out and shoot sunset. Then shoot AM or try and get the foggy redwoods on the way back.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2014
  • Options
    IntrepidBerkeleyExplorerIntrepidBerkeleyExplorer Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2014
    Fabulous photos of the Tule Elk I have often seen on hikes to Tomales Point in Point Reyes National Park. Your stills bring them so much closer.

As previously mentioned, antlers on the males signal that it's the rutting season, which takes place in Fall. Wish I had the kind of professional video equipment to capture the rut, when males attempt to gather harems for mating. I saw the males posturing and actually making antler contact. While the males were thus distracted, the females, who looked bored, moved out of the harem. So males in combat fight over a harem that has disappeared. Lose-lose; but the females can be found and gathered again.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2014
    Fabulous photos of the Tule Elk I have often seen on hikes to Tomales Point in Point Reyes National Park. Your stills bring them so much closer.

As previously mentioned, antlers on the males signal that it's the rutting season, which takes place in Fall. Wish I had the kind of professional video equipment to capture the rut, when males attempt to gather harems for mating. I saw the males posturing and actually making antler contact. While the males were thus distracted, the females, who looked bored, moved out of the harem. So males in combat fight over a harem that has disappeared. Lose-lose; but the females can be found and gathered again.

Thank IBE! I think DSLR HD video is as good as any. I am determined to visit the reserve and catch rutting season. Theoretically they should be battling now, but wherever I have gone, I have found nothing but peace and harmony. So will try my luck few weeks down the road! Cheers!
  • Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2014
    Didn't know it before, but Tule Elk is only found in California! Like most other wildlife here, it was pushed to extinction, but conservation efforts have brought some species back. Point Reyes is a National treasure, and part of it is "Tule Elk Reserve".

Magnificent. #2 in particular, but much to be please with in all of them.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2014
    Magnificent. #2 in particular, but much to be please with in all of them.

Thanks Bruce! Much appreciated! Since second one was taken in bit harsh light, I struggled to hold on to it, but based on everyone's feedback, I am truly glad I did! Cheers!
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2014
    Great shots guy! #2 is my favorite.
    -Len
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    Great shots guy! #2 is my favorite.
    -Len

Thanks much!wings.gif
  • Options