Options

On the Fence with a Corsican Cockroach

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited April 27, 2015 in Holy Macro
At our second hotel, in Central Corsica, there was a drive bounded by a wooden rail supported by poles at intervals. The rail was at about chest height.

I had been looking around for macro subjects by the local riverside but light rain had urged us to head for the hotel, a few minutes walk away. I don't recall if it had stopped when and saw this pale, brownish individual sitting on the top of the rail. It was only when I reviewed the images in my camera that I realised how attractive the insect was.

It was about 1cm long and the spots on the wings, together with the pronotum being brown, rather than black, indicate it to be Ectobius pallidus the Tawny Cockroach. This is interesting, in that Antonio GalvagniI & Marco Bardiani (2009) in their paper: Ricerche sulle specie del genere Ectobius Stephens, 1835, della Corsica (Insecta Blattaria Ectobiidae). Translation: Survey on the Corsican species of the genus Ectobius Stephens, 1835, (Insecta Blattaria Ectobiidae)." state "Citations about the presence of Ectobius pallidus (Olivier, 1789) in Corsica are not considered valid."

Were it not for the pale thorax, it might be E.silvestris the Spotted Mediterranean Cockroach.

I have little knowledge of cockroaches so, as to the identity, I must "sit on the fence". smiley.gif

EM-1, Kiron 105mm, probably f11 1/250 ISO 400, TTL flash, hand-held.

The images have been cropped to remove a lot of OOF foreground of the wooden rail.

Harold

1126923.jpg

1126924.jpg

1126925.jpg

1126926.jpg

Comments