Beach Birds, one for Ben, too

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 1, 2005 in Wildlife
Only Ben would take a shot of a sandpiper stuck in the sand by his beak. I thought of him, immediately. When I took the photo.........

34171219-L.jpg

Birds, birds, birds, hot, muggy, but a big wind kept most of the people away..... OK, so I saw that someone else did shore birds, I just drove by Breech Inlet, and..........

34178266-L.jpg

34171243-L.jpg

34171218-L.jpg

34171632-L.jpg

34171228-L.jpg

This last one is my favorite, I fiddled with it a long time. I like it because the subject is not what it looks like it is. There is that little bird, true, but the subject looks like it is a sky fixing to storm. It isn't, it is a wave at it's crest. It is the bokeh (ah) that makes it look like sky. I just like it. I tried all suggestions I could think of and probably messed it all up, but it is stil interesting to me.

ginger

34171641-L.jpg

I don't know what any of these birds are, but I decided that this is the butterfly bird because of the colors on his tail end. That is a wave, there is no horizon to straighten.

I was getting rid of a dust spot and saw this. I worked it up softly, tried to maintain whatever had drawn me to it, just as it was, not cropped at all.

34179092-L.jpg
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Nice series Ginger.
    I want my lens backxzicon_smile_cool.gif
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Nice job Ginger. KInd of like the first one. thumb.gif If you two are going to fight over that lens...I'll just take it ....and put an end to this bickerin'. :D

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Beautiful, Ginger. These colors are both beautiful and very natural looking to my eye. Love the reflections and shadows.
    If not now, when?
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Beach People
    Love No 2 the best, feathers in a ruffle, felt like that at work today. And No 4, lovely colours. It's not fair, I live almost 2 hours drive from a beach: and I don't have that lens (yet). We've found where there is a dogs-off-lead beach, so organising ourselves for a day out soon: would you have any tips on camera care at the coast when it is blowing half a gale damp and sandy together, as we are still in a cold windy winter down here.
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Excellent, looks like I need to drive back down for a bird shoot. clap.gifclapclap.gif

James.
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Nice Series Ginger. I liked the second to last best. I thought it had the most interesting composition.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Morning Ginger
    your work is getting better, really thumb.gif
    new lens seems to be working for you, excellent

Now I am flattered that you thought of me while out shooting, but beak in the sand?? ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif . I just gotta ask (might be sorry I did :D) but why ya think of me, shouldn't that be Harry or Jeff or Mike or how about Steve rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :hide
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Morning Ginger
    your work is getting better, really thumb.gif
    new lens seems to be working for you, excellent

Now I am flattered that you thought of me while out shooting, but beak in the sand?? ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif . I just gotta ask (might be sorry I did :D) but why ya think of me, shouldn't that be Harry or Jeff or Mike or how about Steve rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :hide

I thought of you as it looked like humor! Of course I don't have the good titles you do. You have kept us laughing and looking at birds from an unusual way from the beginning here, you AND Jeff............ But I thought of you, you use the humor the most it seems.

(Too bad the whole head wasn't buried in the sand, I think I could have come up with a humorous title for that. Then again, I like the bird too much. They sure do flit though. At least they do it on the ground.) Those flitting birds in flight.....................difficult.

ginger
    edited August 31, 2005
    Nice series Ginger.
    I want my lens backxzicon_smile_cool.gif

HUH? :D Now you know what they say, John,

it is not the equipment, it is the photographer!

How is the IS? I don't notice missing it. The longer arm

fits me like it belongs there. Problem is, I don't want to take

it off to shoot "regular" wide angle shots.

Thanks, ginger:D
    edited August 31, 2005
    Nice job Ginger. KInd of like the first one. thumb.gif If you two are going to fight over that lens...I'll just take it ....and put an end to this bickerin'. :D

BMP
    Birdman, that first one cracks me up!

Thanks, for looking and thanks for commenting,

ginger

Re the lens, I just reminded John that it is not the equipment, it is the photographer. I forgot to add that when everything goes wrong, no birds
    show up, etc. Then it is the equipment.
    edited August 31, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Beautiful, Ginger. These colors are both beautiful and very natural looking to my eye. Love the reflections and shadows.
    Thank you, Rutt.

I am pleased with the shots, I am glad that you are.

I fell asleep reading a birdbook trying to ID some of these. I knew the top one was the sandpiper, just cause everyone does.

I just thought of you. That first one cracks me up, with his beak all the way down in the sand, so it looks like he can't lift his head.

That is not in the picture. That is in my mind. If I didn't know the bird had a long beak, I would be thinking he was just touching the sand.

Somehow that fits in w the discussion on colors, but I am not sure how. I know it has to do with the "mind".

ginger
    edited August 31, 2005
    Love No 2 the best, feathers in a ruffle, felt like that at work today. And No 4, lovely colours. It's not fair, I live almost 2 hours drive from a beach: and I don't have that lens (yet). We've found where there is a dogs-off-lead beach, so organising ourselves for a day out soon: would you have any tips on camera care at the coast when it is blowing half a gale damp and sandy together, as we are still in a cold windy winter down here.
    rolleyes1.gif , I live closer to the beach, I should have a machine gun type camera and a 500 lens, what ya think? I am going to tell the man who gives..........no, I won't, he also takes away. (that makes sense to me, but.........)

Don't tell John Mueller, who has my old lens, but what special care for a camera at the beach?

Last time I was there with the dogs, and camera et al, I ran into a man who was amazed that I would even bring my camera to the beach.

I would guess that if I wanted to be real safe I would bring along a grocery sack, or any such plastic bag, in case of a lot of spray. I usually just bring my windbreaker, tie it around my waist and it serves double purpose. If it rains, I take it off of my waist and wrap the camera in it. My bag is usually too full for the camera w lens.

Also, if one wanted to be very safe, not changing lenses might be good. That way the sand really wouldn't get into anything.

And many other common sense things if you remember. The most important being not to count on one neckstrap to hold a camera w/o your hand being on it, too, when you are wading. My husband's neckstrap broke, with a company camera on it once. Right into the ocean. Not deep. But even sand is not a good place to drop a camera. In fact, I am not sure where one should drop a camera.

I rarely take any precautions that I have mentioned except the windbreaker thing. And I try not to get my hands sandy, if I do, I don't do anything silly with the camera until the sand is off of my hands.

ginger
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited August 31, 2005
    Ginger,

These are all very good indeed thumb.gifthumb.gif Those shorebirds are lots smaller than egrets or herons, but it looks like you were able to get much closer to them. They are look to be well exposed, well focused and very sharp clap.gif Super feather detail on the gulls clap.gif

We also know that your new lens is working very well (I'm jealous rolleyes1.gif ). Your marsh subjects just need to cooperate better. They need to pose closer to you....lol Or at the least, pose closer to dry land mwink.gif

Excellent work gal :photo

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • PatandRichPatandRich Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Ginger,

Nice series I realy like 1,2,3 and 5 the wind ruffling the gulls fethers realt give life to the shot.

Thanks for the shotsclap.gif

Rich
    edited August 31, 2005
    Greaper,

thanks, I appreciate the comment and the look see,

ginger
    edited August 31, 2005
    Ginger,

These are all very good indeed thumb.gifthumb.gif Those shorebirds are lots smaller than egrets or herons, but it looks like you were able to get much closer to them. They are look to be well exposed, well focused and very sharp clap.gif Super feather detail on the gulls clap.gif

We also know that your new lens is working very well (I'm jealous rolleyes1.gif ). Your marsh subjects just need to cooperate better. They need to pose closer to you....lol Or at the least, pose closer to dry land mwink.gif

Excellent work gal :photo

Steve
    Steve, thanks for stopping and commenting. Remember, though the lens is working well, and I love it, it is the photographer, not the equipment.:lol

Also, it is the subject matter at times, in the right photographer's hands.rolleyes1.gif . The problem with this area, it might be that it is not quite built up enough for photography of wild birds. They have these silly places that are even bird sanctuaries, then they make it so the birds can feel safe from humans. Their own "personal" space, so to speak. So the birds come home, or sit around in the afternoon, enjoying themselves as there is no way anyone can get near them. I don't think most of my wild birds would have it any other way.

Then there are the places that are not even protected, though I think hunting an egret, heron, etc, I do think that is not considered quite polite and could be penalized. Those unprotected places, where the wild birds hang out, they are huge. Photographer comes, bird moves just far enough to maintain that "personal" space. And that seems to be further away all the time. (They don't have to sit on nests anymore) Etc.

I did not think about it at the time, but things are a bit different at the beach. There is only so much room between me and the ocean, waves, whatever. Too many people, no birds. Too much room, birds move waaaaay down the beach. Where I was there is not too much room, so unintentionally I think I lucked out.

I will say that there are better ways and places to do this stuff. There are private places. I don't know where they are, but I know they exist. I think it is something like if you know so and so, who knows so and so........and are good company. Still one would wonder why that would make the birds more accessible. Since I have never been to one, I don't know.

The other way would be to have a boat. HAHAHA, not only do I need a machine gun, a 500 mm lens, but I need a boat now, and a place to dock it.
    And gas, (though a strong rower might be cheaper shortly.) There are many places out there with ab fab views, wild life, and birds, birds all over. I have seen them. In the eighties I used to go over to one of the barrier islands. An old man had an old boat and for a small fee..........and all the way there were the birds. Now a new service has a large boat carrying more people for more money, ........haven't done it.
    But a private boat, there are still many waters to be explored where the birds are more "at ease", the views are gorgeous. The rivers, gosh, the rivers and the bird shots from them. I would love to do that.

Thanks Steve for stopping, commenting and reminding me how I could take a good bird photo with feather detail, just trap the birds between a parking lot, rocks, and the ocean, with nothing for them on the fourth side. And sit for awhile with birds trying to catch food on the receding water, after a wave.

Smile,
    ginger (Bird man, a 200 would work under those conditions, smile.)
    edited August 31, 2005
    PatandRich wrote:
    Ginger,

Nice series I realy like 1,2,3 and 5 the wind ruffling the gulls fethers realt give life to the shot.

Thanks for the shotsclap.gif

Rich

Thanks, Rich. I really like those ruffled feather shots, too.

Thanks for stopping and commenting,

ginger
  • madderncmaddernc Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    Howdy Ginger

Great shots, nice exposures! particularly for the location and what looks like a sunny day. The colour and detail in the feathers looks spot on.

Nice work xzicon_smile_cool.gif

Cain
    "One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it." Galen Rowell

WildFocus Images

Blog: WIldFocus Images
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    very nice shots G --the dude on the beach needs some sun screen or send him over to Rutt :D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/