Options

The garden nursery

PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
edited July 2, 2015 in Wildlife
It's been a very good year for nesting in the garden. we have had one pair of Blue Tits using the nest box, A group of Dunnock, a Wren, Robin and several Sparrows in the hedges surrounding the garden. A large number of Goldfinch roosting and nesting in a large clump of bamboo. This week was the turn of the fledgling sparrows.

DSC_1203-L.jpg
Hey, I am feeling hungry

DSC_1205-L.jpg

DSC_1206-L.jpg
Thanks, that's better.....for the moment. No wonder the fledgling is bigger than the adult.

One of the Robins that had fledged last week had remembered where the feeder was, and was helping itself.

DSC_1195-L.jpg

DSC_1194-L.jpg

DSC_1192-L.jpg

The following day more Sparrows had fledged.

DSC_1227-L.jpg

DSC_1228-L.jpg

Hope you like these.

Best wishes

Peter

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2015
    Last two!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Last two!thumb.gif

Thank you for your reply. The setting of these last two images is clearly the best.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2015
    A few days on and the fledglings no longer are being fed by their parents - they should have learnt what food there is to eat and where to find it.

This little fledgling was found in the bushes, snoozing. It remained asleep as I approached.

DSC_1248-L.jpg

I had to whistle to gain its attention.

DSC_1252-L.jpg

It looks pretty fed up. No parents around. At least he is near the bird feeding station and seeing other birds feeding here might encourage him to start to feed itself. I hope so. Most other fledgling sparrows are now feeding themselves and keeping with the flock.

Best wishes

Pete
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2015
    Pete, I really like the last shot. He's very attentive to something out there.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited June 28, 2015
    Pete, I really like the last shot. He's very attentive to something out there.

Thanks for your reply. He is looking in the direction of the feeding station. I am not sure but there may well have been birds there. I was concentrating on him.

Best wishes

Peter
  • Options
    PacificklausPacificklaus Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2015
    Nice! Sparrows are everywhere, but such social birds, it's really worth taking a second look at them.
  • Options
    kscooperkscooper Registered Users Posts: 387 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2015
    Thanks for sharing these, Peter. I enjoy seeing the differences between the similar species on our two continents . . .

Eric

good gear; not enough time
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2015
    Nice! Sparrows are everywhere, but such social birds, it's really worth taking a second look at them.
    kscooper wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing these, Peter. I enjoy seeing the differences between the similar species on our two continents . . .

Thank you both for your replies. At one stage there was concern in the UK of a decline in the sparrow population due to the great reduction in hedgerows in the countryside. Certainly, from what I have seen over the years is that my garden population dipped but has picked up significantly in the last couple of years. They are very social birds and yes, I like to see them.