Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• RoberthRoberth Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    U3 DataTraveler
    Good Morning

I have recently found out about Star Explorer and I am verry impressed with the program, I was wondering if it is compatiable with Kingstons new U3 DataTraveler memory stick that allows you to install apps on the stick and run them on any XP or Vista based machince with out having to install the program .

This would be perfect when we travel as we could us any system to safely upload our pictures to Smugmug while on vacation or at a clients if we do not have access to our system.

Thanks in adcance

Rob

www.u3.com is the main site for the technology
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Roberth,
    Roberth wrote:
    Good Morning

I have recently found out about Star Explorer and I am verry impressed with the program, I was wondering if it is compatiable with Kingstons new U3 DataTraveler memory stick that allows you to install apps on the stick and run them on any XP or Vista based machince with out having to install the program .

This would be perfect when we travel as we could us any system to safely upload our pictures to Smugmug while on vacation or at a clients if we do not have access to our system.

Thanks in adcance

Rob

www.u3.com is the main site for the technology

Thank you for your interest in Star*Exlorer!

Unfortunately S*E requires an install. However, if your travels are short, you can simply use it as a trial on each new machine, which would give you almost unlimited access for a month.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited February 10, 2007
    S*E: 75,000+ hits
    Another month, anther hit threshold clap.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Another month, anther hit threshold clap.gif
    Fantastic program-- only wish I had bought it sooner. It's saving me quite a bit of time and stress over those "socket exception errors". Thanks thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited February 14, 2007
    Thanks, Pete!
    dogwood wrote:
    Fantastic program-- only wish I had brought it sooner. It's saving me quite a bit of time and stress over those "socket exception errors". Thanks thumb.gif
    Appreciate the feedback! thumb.gif
    Thank you for using Star*Explorer! iloveyou.gif
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    I have not found it yet, but is there a way to pause and restart the upload?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited February 25, 2007
    Allen,
    Allen wrote:
    I have not found it yet, but is there a way to pause and restart the upload?

There sure is! :D
    Switch to regular view and press the big red stop button (or select Process|Cancel main menu item). deal.gif
    After the confirmation it will stop (not immediately, but soon enough). The you can add items to queue, delete them, shutdown machine, etc. Just don't clear the whole queue, since it's not possible to restore it after that...

HTH

PS
    Thank you for using Star*Explorer! clap.gifiloveyou.gifbowdown.gif
    edited February 25, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    There sure is! :D
    Switch to regular view and press the big red stop button (or select Process|Cancel main menu item). deal.gif
    After the confirmation it will stop (not immediately, but soon enough). The you can add items to queue, delete them, shutdown machine, etc. Just don't clear the whole queue, since it's not possible to restore it after that...

HTH

PS
    Thank you for using Star*Explorer! clap.gifiloveyou.gifbowdown.gif
    Ok did that. How come the ones uploaded so far still show in que?
    Hit upload and 1st file skipped but 2nd one uploading again. I had stopped
    it at No. 17. Should I have deleted to ones uploaded?

Is this going thru each one? Don't understand what's happening. Looks like
    uploading whole file again. At least going thru the motions, taking a lot of
    time.
    0:51:54:
    0:51:54: TWiddle-Dee: 1 out of 53: IMG_1389.JPG
    0:51:54: TWiddle-Dum: 2 out of 53: IMG_1390.JPG
    0:51:55: Started TWiddle-Dee: uploading IMG_1389.JPG to album 1364299
    0:55:00: Finished TWiddle-Dee: uploading IMG_1389.JPG to album 1364299 (0:03:05)
    0:55:00: Started TWiddle-Dum: uploading IMG_1390.JPG to album 1364299
    0:55:00: TWiddle-Dee: Upload result: 132070130
    0:55:00:
    0:55:00: TWiddle-Dee: 3 out of 53: IMG_1391.JPG
    0:55:00:

Edit: looks like I'm getting duplicates. Guess have to delete from que ones already uploaded.
    edited February 25, 2007
    Allen,
    With the two threads running simultaneousely there is a chance that if you cancel the file that was actually uploaded would remain in queue. Otherwise if S*E gets the upload notification it should remove the file from the queue.

My main goal when processing "Cancel" was to preserve the queue, since it can be tricky to rebuild. Maybe I overdid it a bit:-). I rarely cancel myself, so I can't say for sure.
    So in the mean time please pay a bit more attention what get uploaded and what not if you hit Cancel.
    edited February 25, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    With the two threads running simultaneousely there is a chance that if you cancel the file that was actually uploaded would remain in queue. Otherwise if S*E gets the upload notification it should remove the file from the queue.

My main goal when processing "Cancel" was to preserve the queue, since it can be tricky to rebuild. Maybe I overdid it a bit:-). I rarely cancel myself, so I can't say for sure.
    So in the mean time please pay a bit more attention what get uploaded and what not if you hit Cancel.
    Gatcha. Dee & Dum threads uploading simultaneously. Just have to wait
    until it's finished and see what's left. I deleted from cue what was uploaded
    and also dups up there. No problem, now know what to expect.
    Great app, I love it.
    edited March 3, 2007
    S*E v 167: featuring uploaded duplicates verification
    New version has a great new feature: it can automatically ignore the files that have been already uploaded.

All the original versions of S*E were checking for duplicates in the existing upload queue.
    Starting from version 167 you can tell SE* to check if you have already uploaded a file to a particular album at some time before.
    This can greatly facilitate a "picture of the day" logic: you can simply keep dropping your local POTD folder to the same album and S*E will check for those files you have uploaded previously and only accept the new ones.

As always with S*E, this feature is fully configurable (via Sync Upload tab in the Options).
    You can choose between
    • No verification: pre-existing and fastest behaviour
    • All time verification: every album will be verified.
      Naturally, it will slow down the parsing the most ne_nau.gif
    • And, last but not least: verification for the selected albums only.
      This last option allows you keep the speed high, but make sure that few specified albums are covered.
    NOTE: to avoid unbearably slow real-time online verification, this feature operates against S*E cache. If you use S*E on the same PC for all your uploads, you have nothing to worry about. However, if you employ several upload methods/machines, you may need to use "Get Images Info" command once in a while to ensure the data needed makes it to the local database.
    edited March 4, 2007
    Another bar reached!
    77,000+ hits, 390+ customers! wings.gif
    edited March 9, 2007
    drag and drop not working
    Nikolai:

I dragged and dropped a whole file of images onto star*explorer and only some of them uploaded. The rest won't show up on star*explorer at all. I drag them over to the upload queue and nothing happens-- they don't show up. They're 8-bit jpegs and I was able to upload them using the regular smugmug drag and drop. Any ideas?

EDIT: nevermind-- it was a file size issue. I changed the file upload size limit under tools, but in the text editor box, that's why it wasn't working. Great program... it's just smarter than me!

edited March 9, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Nikolai:

I dragged and dropped a whole file of images onto star*explorer and only some of them uploaded. The rest won't show up on star*explorer at all. I drag them over to the upload queue and nothing happens-- they don't show up. They're 8-bit jpegs and I was able to upload them using the regular smugmug drag and drop. Any ideas?
    You might d/l the latest again and re-install. I just put a few in and running now. It took all I dragged over. First two showed on Smug.
    edited March 9, 2007
    Pete,
    dogwood wrote:
    Nikolai:

EDIT: nevermind-- it was a file size issue. I changed the file upload size limit under tools, but in the text editor box, that's why it wasn't working. Great program... it's just smarter than me!

Glad you've figured it out. Sometimes size does matter:-) rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 15, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Glad you've figured it out. Sometimes size does matter:-) rolleyes1.gif

Any plan to make star explorer compatible with replace photo? mwink.gif Easy enough for me to ask-- I don't have to write the code!

edited March 15, 2007
    Pete,
    dogwood wrote:
    Any plan to make star explorer compatible with replace photo? mwink.gif Easy enough for me to ask-- I don't have to write the code!
    AFAIK, no API for this yet. And with all the recent changes I'm not so sure about the "creative browsing" approach.
    Besides, this operation is a rarely used, so Smugmug UI is fairly adequate, IMHO... rolleyes1.gif
    Sorry, but you need to give me some more reasons to do it:-) mwink.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    AFAIK, no API for this yet. And with all the recent changes I'm not so sure about the "creative browsing" approach.
    Besides, this operation is a rarely used, so Smugmug UI is fairly adequate, IMHO... rolleyes1.gif

Since Replace Photo is the only way to modify a photo before printing when using proof delay, that function gets used a lot more than it used to. I've suggested that Smugmug just add a flag to the upload function that would inidicate you want to replace an existing photo with the same filename in the same gallery as a nice API shortcut for replace photo and it would make it easy for existing uploaders to support. As it is, the Smugmug UI for Replace Photo is really clunky and forces you to deal with images one at a time. That's pretty time consuming if you want to do fine post processing on 20 images that were just ordered and you then have to do replace photo on each and every one, one at a time.

But, as you say, if there's no API, then we're just waiting for Smugmug to enable something.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited March 15, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure you need more reasons. For me, all it took was replacing 15 photos one by one tonight (for a print order-- something fairly common for me)... very slow indeed. Star*explorer works so well at uploading photos, just thought it might be a good tool for replacing photos too. I'd buy an upgrade, maybe others would too? :D

edited March 15, 2007
    OK, guys...
    dogwood wrote:
    Yeah, I'm sure you need more reasons. For me, all it took was replacing 15 photos one by one tonight (for a print order-- something fairly common for me)... very slow indeed. Star*explorer works so well at uploading photos, just thought it might be a good tool for replacing photos too. I'd buy an upgrade, maybe others would too? :D

Pete, John,

that is actually a fairly serious reason... at least for a Pro version:-)

I'll see what I can do. As you know, I recently added online dups check, the same logic can be applied if we want to replace the existing file...

I'll see what "creative browsing" can give us... mwink.gif

No ETA at the moment, but consider it on the list deal.gif
    edited March 22, 2007
    400!
    Yay! Star*Explorer got 400th customer tonight!wings.gif
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 22, 2007
    w00t....congrats mate thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yay! Star*Explorer got 400th customer tonight!wings.gif
    Awesome - another milestone for you and your superb tool! Let´s have a party wings.gif10944573-Ti.gifdrums.gifbeer.gif

Hasta pronto,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 22, 2007
    David,
    devbobo wrote:
    w00t....congrats mate thumb.gif
    Thanks! :D
    edited March 22, 2007
    Sebastian,
    Awesome - another milestone for you and your superb tool! Let´s have a party wings.gif10944573-Ti.gifdrums.gifbeer.gif

Hasta pronto,
    Sebastian

Danke, mein bruder! (I hope I didn't screw this up too much:-)
  • Aaron ChristyAaron Christy Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Picasa API available
    Nik,

Please, please, please tell me you are working on integrating SE with Picasa now that Google has just released their API.

http://code.google.com/apis/picasaweb/overview.html

I swear I will never, ever ask for anything (from anyone) again.

If I sound desprate, that's because I am.

Aaron

Aaron Christy
    http://www.surfacedamage.com/
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Nik,

Please, please, please tell me you are working on integrating SE with Picasa now that Google has just released their API.

http://code.google.com/apis/picasaweb/overview.html

I swear I will never, ever ask for anything (from anyone) again.

If I sound desprate, that's because I am.

Aaron

Aren't these APIs for their web albums (the thing that competes with Smugmug), not for the Picasa desktop application itself?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    jfriend wrote:

But, as you say, if there's no API, then we're just waiting for Smugmug to enable something.
    Not just enable, but create thumb.gif
  • Aaron ChristyAaron Christy Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    I am wrong.
    jfriend wrote:
    Aren't these APIs for their web albums (the thing that competes with Smugmug), not for the Picasa desktop application itself?

Yeah, I spoke too soon. I got all excited about the API to be released, but then finally had a chance to dive in.

Yeah -- web albums, not any plugin architecture for the Picasa client application. Too bad.

Unless someone wants to create a client application that acts as a proxy, intercepts the HTTP traffic from Picasa to Picasa Web Albums and then redirects the request to some local client interface that massages the request and redirects to smugmug. That souds like a piece of cake!

Aaron Christy
    http://www.surfacedamage.com/
    edited March 24, 2007
    Aaron,
    When there is something for local stuf I will take shot at it...
    Thank you for using Star*Explorer!