Options

SmugMug soft launches Bay Photo integration

Comments

• Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    It appears that whatever labs pricing you "last saved" is your default lab. I've posted here suggesting that that is way too subtle and which lab you want to be your portfolio pricing lab should be more obvious than that.

Yes, it appears that way - but it shouldn't change all old galleries with custom pricing via EZ Prints to Bay. I'm fine with changing the default for new galleries, but not existing ones where the change in Portfolio defaults also changes the pricing of old galleries. I think old galleries should stay with the EZ Prints selection unless I decide to change it to Bay. Currently it seems all old galleries have NO lab selection and then default to the portfolio lab selection - I'd argue that old galleries should have EZ Prints selected as their lab since all pricing was done with that lab in mind.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:
    Yes, it appears that way - but it shouldn't change all old galleries with custom pricing via EZ Prints to Bay. I'm fine with changing the default for new galleries, but not existing ones where the change in Portfolio defaults also changes the pricing of old galleries. I think old galleries should stay with the EZ Prints selection unless I decide to change it to Bay. Currently it seems all old galleries have NO lab selection and then default to the portfolio lab selection - I'd argue that old galleries should have EZ Prints selected as their lab since all pricing was done with that lab in mind.

I'm not trying to defend the way it works, just explain it. When you have not set gallery pricing of any kind, it inherits your portfolio pricing. That means a choice of lab and the prices you set for that lab. Galleries with no gallery pricing don't have anything to stick them to EzPrints. They take your portfolio pricing, so if you set BayPhoto as your portfolio pricing lab, then that's what any gallery that doesn't have gallery pricing gets. If your portfolio pricing is set to BayPhoto as the default, then the only way you can have a gallery with ExPrints is to set that in gallery pricing.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm not trying to defend the way it works, just explain it. When you have not set gallery pricing of any kind, it inherits your portfolio pricing. That means a choice of lab and the prices you set for that lab. Galleries with no gallery pricing don't have anything to stick them to EzPrints. They take your portfolio pricing, so if you set BayPhoto as your portfolio pricing lab, then that's what any gallery that doesn't have gallery pricing gets. If your portfolio pricing is set to BayPhoto as the default, then the only way you can have a gallery with ExPrints is to set that in gallery pricing.

That's just it, these galleries DID have gallery pricing... If they didn't have gallery pricing it wouldn't have bothered me.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:
    That's just it, these galleries DID have gallery pricing... If they didn't have gallery pricing it wouldn't have bothered me.
    That does sound like a bug then.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:

Please send some gallery ids that you are positive were priced at the gallery level before the rollout tuesday to us on the help desk. We specifically worked to ensure that old gallery pricing was preserved and intelligently handled, and I have a number of galleries that survived intact, as do quite a number of other users I've looked at. (so far, you are the first and only user I've seen this problem reported by.)

update, er, you two are the only two... just re-read the thread and realized CSwinton and SandRazor were both talking about the same thing but weren't the same poster.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2009
    Giclee vs print bonded to canvas
    I noticed that with the Bay Photo integration smugmug is offering the Giclee canvas prints - how do these differ in appearance from their silver-based prints bonded to canvas? Is one better quality than the other?
  • Options
    SledhedSledhed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    I just ran an order through Bay and I look forward to seeing them.

I do have one question though, I ordered two copies of a 16 x 20 print. I understand the extra charge for color correcting the file but why charge the extra cost twice? They've already corrected the file for the first print, they don't have to do it again for multiple prints. Shouldn't the second print be at the lower price? I'm sorry if this has been asked already, I didn't go through and read this whole thread.

The new lab is cool and everything but since I mainly shoot sports, packages and coupons are a lot more important.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    CSwinton wrote:
    That does sound like a bug then.

Confirmed, we see it and are working on a fix.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2009
    cabbey wrote:
    Confirmed, we see it and are working on a fix.

Great - glad you've identified it as well. I was beginning to think I was crazy (my wife would still argue that, but we won't go there...). Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Sledhed wrote:
    I just ran an order through Bay and I look forward to seeing them.

I do have one question though, I ordered two copies of a 16 x 20 print. I understand the extra charge for color correcting the file but why charge the extra cost twice? They've already corrected the file for the first print, they don't have to do it again for multiple prints. Shouldn't the second print be at the lower price? I'm sorry if this has been asked already, I didn't go through and read this whole thread.
    Market forces, I wish I had a better answer for you, I really do!

The new lab is cool and everything but since I mainly shoot sports, packages and coupons are a lot more important.
    In the works- coupons first - and we just hired a very experienced Sorcerer to start working on packages NOW!
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Sledhed wrote:

I had similar thoughts.... and then I tried to figure out how to implement it. The last thing my customers need is more confusion in their shopping cart. Just keep it simple and make sure every photo is perfect and I won't complain.
    Sledhed wrote:

Yup. I need packages and coupons. In a really bad way.
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Market forces, I wish I had a better answer for you, I really do!In the works- coupons first

Time frame? I'd kill (or at least hurt real bad) three people of your choosing if it could be done and released in the next two weeks. I've got an event coming up and would love to issue a couple coupons to the people that made it happen.
  • Options
    SandRazorSandRazor Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 2, 2009
    cabbey wrote:
    Please send some gallery ids that you are positive were priced at the gallery level before the rollout tuesday to us on the help desk. We specifically worked to ensure that old gallery pricing was preserved and intelligently handled, and I have a number of galleries that survived intact, as do quite a number of other users I've looked at. (so far, you are the first and only user I've seen this problem reported by.)

update, er, you two are the only two... just re-read the thread and realized CSwinton and SandRazor were both talking about the same thing but weren't the same poster.

I lost many and can't remember them all. This is one example that I do remember.

http://toddbryan.smugmug.com/gallery/6663580_sf6fg/1/425184172_Yw5F7

Thanks
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 2, 2009
    SandRazor wrote:
    I lost many and can't remember them all. This is one example that I do remember.

Thanks
    i'm fixing as we speak (speak? type? read?). there are a lot of pro priced galleries so it may take a while before it gets to yours. hang tight.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 2, 2009
    For power users who'd love to order from Bay, here are a few issues we're working through:

- We promised Bay Photo that we would ease into this, volume-wise, so we could figure out capacity issues and kinks first. We asked some big favors of them, like allowing mixed-finish orders, which pro labs don't usually like, and which changes their logistics.

- We have to convince them that the orders we'd receive from power users would be the kinds of orders pro labs receive, not consumer orders.

- Wedding pros in particular put a lot of pressure on pro labs like Bay Photo and whcc to offer products and quality that brides can't find at the available-to-all labs like Snapfish, Mpix, etc., so Bay Photo has to remain true to that brand promise.

It's my belief that the prints our power users order are mostly high-end fine art/landscape/wildlife, which would fit Bay's business well. But I have to make sure of that and make sure we've worked through the volume issues first. We don't even mention that we offer Bay to prospective customers yet, despite the draw it would be.

I hope this helps. I know if I were a power user and shooting great landscapes, I wouldn't be very happy about being excluded, so I think I understand the pain.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    For power users who'd love to order from Bay, here are a few issues we're working through:

- We promised Bay Photo that we would ease into this, volume-wise, so we could figure out capacity issues and kinks first. We asked some big favors of them, like allowing mixed-finish orders, which pro labs don't usually like, and which changes their logistics.

- We have to convince them that the orders we'd receive from power users would be the kinds of orders pro labs receive, not consumer orders.

- Wedding pros in particular put a lot of pressure on pro labs like Bay Photo and whcc to offer products and quality that brides can't find at the available-to-all labs like Snapfish, Mpix, etc., so Bay Photo has to remain true to that brand promise.

It's my belief that the prints our power users order are mostly high-end fine art/landscape/wildlife, which would fit Bay's business well. But I have to make sure of that and make sure we've worked through the volume issues first. We don't even mention that we offer Bay to prospective customers yet, despite the draw it would be.

I hope this helps. I know if I were a power user and shooting great landscapes, I wouldn't be very happy about being excluded, so I think I understand the pain.

Thanks,
    Baldy

Fair enough, and perfectly valid. I can understand all of those reasons. The price alone might deter people from using the pro lab for consumer quality stuff. Thanks for letting us know.

-r
  • Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Baldy wrote:

Thanks,
    Baldy

Very well said Baldy and 100% legitimate and valid points.
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Thanks for that Baldy, very reasonable. Crossing fingers that us Power Users can be offered the option.
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Charge us more
    Baldy wrote:

- It's my belief that the prints our power users order are mostly high-end fine art/landscape/wildlife, which would fit Bay's business well. But I have to make sure of that and make sure we've worked through the volume issues first. We don't even mention that we offer Bay to prospective customers yet, despite the draw it would be.

One question and one observation.

The question is why Bay cares what the subject matter or artistic quality is? It's not a rhetorical question, I can think of possible reasons, but am really interested in the rationale here.

I would think it would end up being self limiting, but to that end...

One solution is to charge more for the base print rates for Power users than Pro, or more still for base users. Like all sorts of affiliation groups, those paying higher base/membership fees get better deals.

I'm delighted to make that choice -- if I have to pay $0.50 or $1 more per 10x12 (over and above pro) to use a pro lab, great. If I buy enough that it makes sense to send in the $100 or whatever to get a pro-membership, it's easy math.

Just a thought. Capitalism at its best.

PS. Now that I know you didn't take away true-color from ezprints I'm perfectly happy; they have always produced very good results for me. Curiousity will drive me to order from Bay when allowed, but lack of satisfaction with EZ Prints won't be the reason.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2009
    Ferguson wrote:
    The question is why Bay cares what the subject matter or artistic quality is?
    It's not this at all - it's the quality of the files they'll be hand correcting and printing from.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 3, 2009
    my sediments exactly, and i hope to see it transpire, thank you!
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    20x30 Giclée Canvas Gallery Wrap arrived yesterday and I didn't have time to do anything other than rip the packing open before heading out of the house again. I did remember to take a few snapshots....

1. box is nearly as big as me
    467108862_7LJs8-S.jpg

2. and nearly as big as my hands
    467108869_waTn8-S.jpg

3. Marked "Fragile", but UPS didn't pay any attention. Out box was beginning to tear and a bit squashed. at the corners
    467109209_zH75N-M-1.jpg

4. Bubble wrapped and corner protected. UPS bent the outside box, but not worries; inner box safe and surrounded by bubble wrap (wrapped three times around!)
    467108895_XoyiA-S.jpg

5. A couple of layers of bubble wrap, + more cardboard + tapped (temp. glued?) to the cardboard backing as well
    467108900_49bZf-S.jpg467109168_2i9fd-S-1.jpg

6. Guts of the packaging -- cardboard, more cardboard + bubble wrap + plastic
    467109186_eKxad-S-1.jpg

7. Safely home. This is the first print of my work that will hang on my walls. :D
    467109151_ZKV7R-S-1.jpg

I hope this was helpful for someone....
  • Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    20x30 Giclée Canvas Gallery Wrap arrived yesterday and I didn't have time to do anything other than rip the packing open before heading out of the house again. I did remember to take a few snapshots....

Wow! What a phenomenal image! Oh, and Bay's packaging is insane! I guess with your documentation and SmugMug's own documentation of the packaging we really don't need to worry about damaged prints anymore.
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    20x30 Giclée Canvas Gallery Wrap arrived yesterday and I didn't have time to do anything other than rip the packing open before heading out of the house again. I did remember to take a few snapshots.... .

w00p thanks April :Dbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2009
    Kyle D wrote:
    Wow! What a phenomenal image! Oh, and Bay's packaging is insane! I guess with your documentation and SmugMug's own documentation of the packaging we really don't need to worry about damaged prints anymore.

I suspect most of the damage will be from folks trying to get into the packages! :D
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 3, 2009
    SandRazor wrote:

Thanks
    k, everyone should be fixed. If you're still seeing problems, lemme know.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:
    I noticed that with the Bay Photo integration smugmug is offering the Giclee canvas prints - how do these differ in appearance from their silver-based prints bonded to canvas? Is one better quality than the other?
    Better? It's subjective. I love the quality and detail that today's inkjets can produce, I don't think you'll be unhappy in the least.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 3, 2009
    Kyle D wrote:
    Yeah, great image!

We did receive one last week that was damaged despite all the packaging, and our address is just over the hill from Bay Photo... It looked like something very heavy had shifted in the UPS truck and managed to fold it.
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    20x30 Giclée Canvas Gallery Wrap arrived yesterday and I didn't have time to do anything other than rip the packing open before heading out of the house again. I did remember to take a few snapshots...

I was just thinking earlier today about purchasing a giclée canvas wrap, and your images made my mouth water. Man, that looks awesome! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    467109151_ZKV7R-S-1.jpg
    For those intrigued by this photo, I found it in on Smugmug at http://aktse.smugmug.com/gallery/4176545_57r7u#243981562_i2o9c.
    --John
    HomepagePopular