Options

Melancholia

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited June 7, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
Found along a mountain road in Appalachia...
When a friend viewed these images he expressed a hope that, sometime in the past,
a family had experienced good times at this homestead... before the sadness of time and abandonment had set-in.

Abandoned-X2.jpg

Abandoned3-X2.jpg

Abandoned2-X2.jpg

Abandoned4-X2.jpg

Abandoned5-X2.jpg

Abandoned6-X2.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2016
    Wonderful set Eric! Nice prose too!iloveyou.gifthumbbowdown.gif
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2016
    Very well done. The series has emotional impact.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2016
    Nice work, Eric. thumb.gif Keep both eyes open when tromping through stuff like this. I've rustled up more than a few Copperhead snakes while shuffling through the ruins. I think some of the fascination I've had with that region is getting a grip on you as well.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2016
    Eric..great subject! I favor the minimalist shots #'s 2 and 3 for this set. I would love to have seen the sink leaning in the corner in #4 isolated this way or a tighter shot of the door in #5. For me, in this series...less is definitely more! BTW...love the tone you chose here! Take care!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,830 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2016
    Melancholia is totally right... these are wonderfully evocative pictures. I also like 2 & 3 the best. Great color treatment.
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2016
    Nice detail and I like the processing. Lots to look at. It is sad though....
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited May 24, 2016
    Excellent set. I like the way you processed these--it adds to the feeling.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2016
    Very nice shots and treatment!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2016
    Taz, Don, Tom, Wayne, Sara, AnnaMaria, Richard, Tatiana, thank-you all very much for the look and the comments!
    I especially appreciate the feedback on the processing as it was my intention to enhance the sadness of time, abandonment, and decay.

It was interesting to me that this property - which was on a well-traveled road, was decaying - relatively - undisturbed...
    In my region, abandoned properties quickly become the targets of vandalism, graffiti, and drug activity - this photo subject would likely not exist here.

Despite the sad subject... cheers all!!

@ Tom - thanks for the critter tip!... I was not even thinking about such things in my tourist frenzy to take pics.

@ Wayne - I looked and found that I did have a click more isolated on the door - here it is in natural colors for comparison:

Doorway-X2.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2016
    Ha! your first picture fooled me! I thought, what a restful retreat! And maybe it was at one time ... But you've captured the reality inside and out in your theme Melancholia. Great series!! --Carter
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2016
    Earache wrote: »
    take pics.

@ Wayne - I looked and found that I did have a click more isolated on the door - here it is in natural colors for comparison:

NOW you're talking!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2016
    Nice series Eric. I agree with the rest, the color treatment adds to the feeling of abandonment. Nicely done.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2016
    CCoop wrote: »
    Ha! your first picture fooled me! I thought, what a restful retreat! And maybe it was at one time ... But you've captured the reality inside and out in your theme Melancholia. Great series!! --Carter
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice series Eric. I agree with the rest, the color treatment adds to the feeling of abandonment. Nicely done.

Carter, Wayne, Cristóbal, thanks very much for your comments and feedback - appreciated!! thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2016
    Nice set, Eric.

The processing sets the mood nicely.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2016
    willard3 wrote: »
    Nice set, Eric.

The processing sets the mood nicely.

Thanks so much for commenting Willard!
    I have a broad range of eyes on these now, and it gives me great feedback on the processing choices.
    Eric ~ Smugmug