Options

D600 Announcement

Comments

• Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2012
    Andy thanks for posting that, great stuff that I will use.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2012
    Andy wrote: »

Thanks Andy for the PDF file, the content mirrors, albeit with fewer options, the D700 settings.

The other day I was also thinking about creating a spreadsheet to determine what I wanted in a CSM (Custom Setting Menu), which by the way is available for D700 and probably other Nikon models. You can access it via the info button and a couple quick selections. Not as easy as user dial, but it does exist.

Anybody have an idea where I can quickly copy settings to a spreadsheet without typing in the data?

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    Now Nikon just needs to get on the 70-200 f/4 wagon!

=Matt=

clap.gif

2202-AF-S%20NIKKOR-70-200mm-f4G_front.png
  • Options
    Colorado CJColorado CJ Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    A few more from the D600, this time using the Nikkor 300mm ED F4 AF (non s version). Hope you guys don't mind, just thought you'd like to see more real world examples.

1. 8219371248_4c5e2d5b14_o.jpg
    Elk-and-Mulies-from-November-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

2. 8218284135_cfa544891d_o.jpg
    Elk-and-Mulies-from-November-9 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

3. 8219369956_487b2fde5e_o.jpg
    Elk-and-Mulies-from-November-4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

4. 8219371990_8ed6716af3_o.jpg
    Elk-and-Mulies-from-November-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

5. 8086103352_a3e3837539_o.jpg
    13-Oct-2012-8 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

6. 8086106572_2c3ac035f4_o.jpg
    13-Oct-2012-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

7. 8086105604_3740484254_o.jpg
    13-Oct-2012-5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

And a couple more with the 50mm F1.8 G

8. 8065501450_c6c74e760c_o.jpg
    7-Oct-2012-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

9. 8065497599_21c8354d83_o.jpg
    7-Oct-2012-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

10. 8065496359_704febe3af_o.jpg
    7-Oct-2012-4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

11. 8065497610_5272743d14_o.jpg
    7-Oct-2012-5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2012
    Thanks for more examples!!!
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    I sure wish you'd number your images. It would make commenting one a specific image a lot easier.

Nice images. Your elk and mulies image would make a nice cover shot for a calendar or outdoors magazine.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2012
    Ok got my D600 and been using it for less than a week. Give a couple of quick impressions. I have been using a D7000 and I like that camera. The D600 is an easy switch from the D7000. Everything is laid out about the same. I do like that on the D600 the mode selector knob has a lock on it so you can't accidently spin it. Did a few test camera to camera and I think the D600 pictures are richer and sharper. Nothing real extensive in low light yet but the higher iso stuff seems to be better out of the D600 but everyone expected that. The focus stuff seems to be the same as on the D7000 but my understanding is that it's the same exact system. While shooting moving birds it hunts a little for focus just like my D7000. I'm slightly over 500 clicks and not seeing any dust issues yet (the dust issue on the sensor has popped up in the internet reviews of this camera).

So far really glad that I spent the money and jumped up to FX stuff. While I really like my D7000 I think this is a better camera.

FWIW I went with the kit of the body and Nikon 24-85mm kit lens.
  • Options
    ShutterbugNVShutterbugNV Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 29, 2012
    Great comments here. I am still using my trusty D80 (I do love it) but it won't last forever. Looking to get into FX mode and was thinking of either the D600 or 800. I have been concerned about the dust/oil issues I have heard about with the D600. I haven't seen any "official" notice from Nikon, has this issued been resolved? Some of the newer comments don't share that concern. Is the D800 that much better to justify the price difference? Your opinions are welcomed.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2012
    Ok I have the dust showing up now at about 900 shutter activations.
  • Options
    Colorado CJColorado CJ Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    I sure wish you'd number your images. It would make commenting one a specific image a lot easier.

Nice images. Your elk and mulies image would make a nice cover shot for a calendar or outdoors magazine.

Sorry about that. I edited the post and added numbers to the photos. Thanks for the comments.

Great comments here. I am still using my trusty D80 (I do love it) but it won't last forever. Looking to get into FX mode and was thinking of either the D600 or 800. I have been concerned about the dust/oil issues I have heard about with the D600. I haven't seen any "official" notice from Nikon, has this issued been resolved? Some of the newer comments don't share that concern. Is the D800 that much better to justify the price difference? Your opinions are welcomed.

I have a very few small specs in the top left corner. I haven't cleaned the sensor yet because they aren't a problem to remove and are very small. I bought my camera right when they were released, so I have the earliest version.

I would have loved to get the D800E since I shoot mostly landscapes/wildlife, but couldn't justify the additional expense. After buying the D600 though, I seen that you could buy refurbished D800's for only a few hundred more, but I still LOVE the D600.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2012
    FWIW I have just cleaned my sensor, a little un-nerving doing it for the first time but now I understand the process and it's pretty simple (lots of vids on how to on youtube). I was aware this may be a problem before I bought the camera from the net reports. While I think Nikon should figure out a fix for it, I am still happy with the camera and think it's a good value to get into FX for a hack like me.
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2012
    I just checked my sensor, and I have some spots concentrated in the upper left side. I usually shoot wide open, and had not noticed, but I shot a couple of HDR landscapes yesterday, and have a fair amount of clean up in post.
  • Options
    CodyBoxerCodyBoxer Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2013
    Bought my D600 in October. No spots on sensor. However, this is my second one. I had to return the first because it would not focus properly and there was a black fuzzy bar at the bottom of the images due to a stuck "secondary mirror".

Focus problem and fuzzy bar:
    8086689184_3006d2e377_b.jpg
    DSC_0022 by gmontjr, on Flickr

Stuck "secondary mirror"
    8086998684_4704bc7cd8_b.jpg
    _DSC5222 by gmontjr, on Flickr
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2013
    Oh My...I might have the mirror issue too
    CodyBoxer wrote: »
    Bought my D600 in October. No spots on sensor. However, this is my second one. I had to return the first because it would not focus properly and there was a black fuzzy bar at the bottom of the images due to a stuck "secondary mirror".

I had this happen on 5 out of 10 images last week, and then everything has been OK since then. I had almost forgot about it.

i-5dHtwq6-M.jpg

Cody: Is you shutter stuck in place, or is it intermittent?
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2013
    Hopefully it's ok I attach this question to this thread.

I'm having problems with the D600 RAW images in Lightroom 4.3, won't open them. I transfer into my computer using Nikon transfer. It works fine with my D7000. Is anyone else having this problem.

Mods if this needs to be moved let me know, not sure if its camera or processing fit this better.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2013
    No problem with LR 4.3 and Camera Raw 7.3
  • Options
    CodyBoxerCodyBoxer Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2013
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    I had this happen on 5 out of 10 images last week, and then everything has been OK since then. I had almost forgot about it.

i-5dHtwq6-M.jpg

Cody: Is you shutter stuck in place, or is it intermittent?

Sorry, Dee. I didn't see your question under your picture. I reached in and <gently> moved that "mirror" and it flipped up into place. It was a little mirror, BTW. I looked at the iFixit Teardown, but didn't find any mention of that mirror.

I took that camera back to the store for a replacement, as the focus was also an issue. I brought my 50mm f/1.8 lens along and the store associate confirmed the focus problem on the original camera and that a replacement camera functioned properly.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I have not had this issue since that one time before new years.
    Baseball/softball starts this week, so I will find out soon enough if there is an issue.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited March 5, 2014
    For those Nikon D600 owners with the shutter/dust issues, Nikon has issued this service advisory:

Technical Service Advisory for Users of the Nikon D600 Digital SLR Camera

"Affected Products:
    Nikon D600 Digital SLR Cameras

Some users of Nikon’s D600 D-SLR camera have reported the appearance of tiny spots on certain of their images. Not all users have experienced this issue. Nikon has thoroughly evaluated these reports and has determined that these spots are caused by dust particles which may become visible when the camera is used in certain circumstances and/or with certain settings. It is a well-known fact that the presence of dust particles cannot be completely avoided when using a D-SLR camera even after normal sensor cleaning procedures, because of a number of factors including components moving at high speeds when images are taken, the use of interchangeable lenses, and the different environments in which a D-SLR camera may be used. As part of its customer-service commitment, Nikon is providing a customer-service measure to reduce the potential impact of dust particles on images taken by its D600 D-SLR cameras.

The solution: Nikon is making available to all owners of D600 cameras (even if Nikon’s product warranty has expired) this customer-service measure, which includes the inspection, cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera, FREE OF CHARGE as well as the cost of shipping D600 cameras to Nikon and their return to customers. Once again, please understand that regardless of this service, your D600 camera as is the case with all D-SLR cameras, will continue to require normal periodic sensor cleanings."

Please go to the above link if you think that this service advisory applies to you, and for full details including how to return your camera body.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2014
    Man, I wish this had come out in January, instead of after opening day for baseball/softball. Hopefully I can wait until June.
    Thanks Ziggy.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2014
    Just dropped mine at UPS so we will see how long it takes. I will post back when I have it back in hand.

I had about 10,000 clicks on the shutter and was having to clean the sensor about every 1000. Hope the fix works cause I like everything else about the camera.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2014
    I have about 35,000 clicks and only had to clean it at about 10,000 or so with the corner oil buildup. Since then, there has really not been an issue, so I think I got lucky with mine. I will send it in the get the service anyway during the summer.
  • Options
    duff65duff65 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2014
    Mine just went back for the second time. Maybe I will be one of the lucky ones to get a D610 back
  • Options
    gfritzeegfritzee Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2014
    After reading these posts and being a D600 owner myself, I contacted my local camera store where I do a lot of business , they sent me in the direction of the Nikon web site where it states they are finally taking action to correct the oil spot problems free of charge regardless of warranty expiration dates. Also it's wise to have this service done just in case you ever decide you want to sell/trade to obtain its full value. Be proactive!!!
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2014
    Duff65 did you hear they were fully replacing some of the cameras or just hopeful?
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2014
    They are not going to replace them, they are taking them back and cleaning and or replacing the shutter mechanism is what Ive heard unless its an extreme case where they do replace the entire body with the D610.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2014
    I have about 35,000 clicks and only had to clean it at about 10,000 or so with the corner oil buildup. Since then, there has really not been an issue, so I think I got lucky with mine. I will send it in the get the service anyway during the summer.
    I wouldnt wait too long to send it back if I were you.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2014
    Man, I wish this had come out in January, instead of after opening day for baseball/softball. Hopefully I can wait until June.
    Thanks Ziggy.

Dee you have a really nice web site on smugmug, Im not very savvy when it comes to building a site, did you get any outside help in designing yours? I really would like to set my old smugmug back up and looking fine like yours. Suggestions?
    You can either reply here or email me gfritzee@me.com
    Thank you,
    Glenn Fritzsche
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2014
    endurodog wrote: »
    Just dropped mine at UPS so we will see how long it takes. I will post back when I have it back in hand.

I had about 10,000 clicks on the shutter and was having to clean the sensor about every 1000. Hope the fix works cause I like everything else about the camera.

Mine will be right next to yours on the bench at Nikon...lets see who gets theirs back first! Mine went out 2 days ago.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2014
    Update on my camera in case others are wondering how the process is working. They received it last Wed 3/12 according to UPS tracking. The instructions says they will send an email when they open the box, no email as of today 3/18, a week later. Don't think it's going to be a quick type of thing. Anyone have any other info?