Bush lady

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited February 1, 2015 in People
Had an opportunity to try something new this weekend - shoot a fellow rider in a bush on a motorcycle. I like the concept, but I'm not sure about the 'framing' of the vertical reeds. Single SB900 through an umbrella camera left at dusk. i-cjh56nM-XL.jpg

Comments

• alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2015
    Hi,
    thanks for sharing what you are thinking to do? I think you have a very intresting idea but in this shot the branches make the total frame too complex for a strong interpretation.
    What if you try to use the branches in a more dynamic shot? Something like that gives the feeling you had to shoot through branches to not loose the shot of a running motorcycle.

Regards
    Alex
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2015
    I applaud for your use of the small strobe and the natural light, nice job on that. For me a portrait focuses on and shows the most attractive aspects of a subject. Here the bike and most importantly the lady are obstructed by the branches and that kills the feeling for me. You have to try experiments like this but then realize why they are a fail and correct them.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2015
    I like the effort and concept. However, the lighting doesn't fit the mood of the shot and the background is dull. With a dull background, it may have been better to have the light almost directly to the side so there is more dramatic shadows and not have her smile, but give a confident look. If the background was lit better like just at sunset light then your lighting in this show would be more appealing.
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2015
    Thanks all.... I'm trying to 'see' what different lighting approaches do to the image, ie: the technical stuff. I'm feeling better about moving in that direction. But it's the rest of the stuff that's killing me! No doubt, I have a much greater appreciation for what 'yall are creating and posting here. It isn't easy.
    edited January 22, 2015
    I had one of the guys at the weekend event walk up and just stand there, so I shot him too. Still not sure of the stems. . i-zRHrP4m-XL.jpg
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2015
    Turn the image upside down and what do you see!!!???? That might tell you your answer.
    edited February 1, 2015
    Upside down, without doubt points out the issue(s). Thanks for the tip.

And I wrestled with pulling out those stalks before the shoot but didn't. Doh!