Kinda edgy?

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited January 19, 2015 in People
i-MKsLbWk-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2015
    I like everything about it. Lighting, color, exposure,cropping and impact. Great job.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2015
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I like everything about it. Lighting, color, exposure,cropping and impact. Great job.

Thank you. I'm finally feeling like I can keep up in here.....

I've been in the "behind the scenes" thread a lot trying to pick up little tidbits here and there and applied what I've learned for this shot. That thread has been wonderful for newbies like me diving into off-camera flash.

Quick question.... I was using a mottled gray background and 1/200th of a second shutter and still had a tiny bit of bleed where you could see the BG. This was removed via LR and the brush with 2 stops underexposed to kill it all. I'm thinking 1/250th could be a solution, moving the subject farther from the background, or an all black BG would do the trick? Does that sound like a solution and is there a preferred one over any others?

On a related note, I was going to title this "Homeless".

Thx!
    ~m
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2015
    The name of the game is light. Stop it from hitting the bkg and it goes darker. You could flag your flash (put up a blocker) so the light hitting the bkg is diminished. Move your subject further from the bkg keeping you flash to subject the same distance means less light on the bkg and the same amount of light on the subject.

A way to do it is simply to take a shot of the area you want to photograph in and work your shutter/f stop combination till you get a dark frame. Then bring you flash in till the exposure is proper or adjust your flash till the exposure is proper.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2015
    Hackbone wrote: »
    The name of the game is light. Stop it from hitting the bkg and it goes darker. You could flag your flash (put up a blocker) so the light hitting the bkg is diminished. Move your subject further from the bkg keeping you flash to subject the same distance means less light on the bkg and the same amount of light on the subject.

A way to do it is simply to take a shot of the area you want to photograph in and work your shutter/f stop combination till you get a dark frame. Then bring you flash in till the exposure is proper or adjust your flash till the exposure is proper.

Excellent! Thank you.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2015
    It is edgy, I like the setup.
  • Options
    Tom AbbottTom Abbott Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2015
    Sorry, I don't see anything edgy about it.
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2015
    To my eye it is totally edgy ...
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2015
    processing and lighting is edgy..subject..not so much. Technically well done though I wish I could see just little bit of the subjects left edge of face.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Aleksandar VasicAleksandar Vasic Registered Users Posts: 334 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2015
    Very very nice:):):)
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2015
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Quick question.... I was using a mottled gray background and 1/200th of a second shutter and still had a tiny bit of bleed where you could see the BG. This was removed via LR and the brush with 2 stops underexposed to kill it all. I'm thinking 1/250th could be a solution, moving the subject farther from the background, or an all black BG would do the trick? Does that sound like a solution and is there a preferred one over any others?

Here's an experiment for you. It doesn't matter what background you use. As a matter of fact, you could try this with a white background. Place your subject 6 to 7 feet in front of the background. Set your ISO to 100, shutter spd to your flash sync spd, and start with f4 and take a test shot to see if you get a totally black photo. If not, go 1 full stop up on the aperture until you get a totally black photo. Once you got the settings for that, you can start adding in the flash. With an aperture of f4, using a bare flash at 6ft away from subject, set your flash to 1/16 power in manual. If your using a softbox, or shoot through umbrella, just move the flash in to 3ft or up the power 2 stops if you leave the flash at 6ft. For every stop you move your aperture up, just raise the flash power up 1 stop higher. It would be something like this: f4 - 1/16, f5.6 - 1/8, f8 - 1/4, f11 - 1/2, f16 - Full Power. Also if you are using a bare flash and want to use a lower setting, instead of having flash at 6ft, move it in to 3ft, and then you can lower your flash power by 2 stops. With this method, you should not have any light spill onto your backdrop. This was actually taught and demonstrated on Creative Live, and it works!

If you go to https://www.creativelive.com/courses/crazy-stupid-light-scott-robert-lim and scroll down to "Soft Light vs. Hard Light" you can watch a portion of one of the workshops that teaches the theory behind this. You can also watch other videos by Scott Robert Lim by doing a search for him on YouTube.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2015
    Thank you Gary, your explanation makes perfect sense....