Options

How much shadow at nose is acceptable?

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited January 23, 2015 in People
Hi all,
I was looking the other days the workshop of zack arias, a photographer that I like.. His approach and how he decides to start with less tool.
Below I am sharing some screenshots I took from his workshop
http://alexpal.smugmug.com/ToShare/ShadowsDiscussion/n-PxsB7/i-q6379qP
as I found my time spending time thinking on how much I like the results.

This post is not about criticizing Zacks work (that I like a lot) but how I judge my self when I see results on the back side of my camera.

The point where I wanted to focus today was about the nose' shadow.. and how much can you tolerate.

If I put myself in the imaginery position that I shot the shots I shared above, I would only accept the first two and then discard all the rest. Reason is that I find the shadow coming from the nose very distracting...

When do you think that the nose shadow works and when is possible to keep it as artistic choice?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help

Regards

Alex

P.S Here I have to be fair and write that the shots shared above are not necessarily what Zack would deliver to the customer but he is sharing the whole process on how he works with the light (and thus shares each single shot)

--
“The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don’t know what to do with it”
(written at 1927 by Edward Weston)

Comments