Nikon D3 - What is your favorite AF setting when shooting people, weddings?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited December 27, 2010 in Weddings
Nikon D3 - what is your favorite AF setting when shooting people, weddings?

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2010
    Hey Haring! I'd have to say that when shooting with any Nikon, as far as AF is concerned, I go between two general shooting situations depending on the situation.

First of all, 99.9% of the time I'm using AF-ON only. I also almost only ever use single point focus, hardly ever the other options.

I change between single and continuous focus mode pretty often, depending on how far away the subject is, or how fast they're moving. If they're any closer than 10 feet and I'm shooting hand-held, they get AF-C, continuous focusing. If they're more than 10 feet away, I use single focus, unless they're moving really fast of course.

I OFTEN use the off-center focus points, and try to avoid "focus+recompose" as much as possible. I have much more confidence in my camera's ability to get at least one focused shot out of three or four if I'm using the off-center focus point, compared to if I'm using focus+recompose. But that's more of a personal preference than a mechanical preference, really. The D3 does great either way. I just don't care for the accuracy (or lack thereof) that goes with using focus+recompose, when it's hand-held at f/1.4 and at close distances. Shooting close up portraits from ~5 feet away, at f/1.4, while standing, ...it's just a recipe for TONS of blurry pics...

So, what are YOUR favorite AF settings on Nikon? :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    I'm always on single point autofocus myself, except when I shoot with my tilt shift since that doesn't have AF and therefore is MF only.