Spring in the Columbia Gorge

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited May 12, 2010 in Landscapes
Some shots from the Columbia Gorge last Friday, the water levels are much lower than this time last year, and about the same as my earlier trip in Februrary, but the green is everywhere.

I hit Eagle Creek (Metlako Falls, Upper and Lower Punch Bowl Falls), Wahclella Falls, Elowah Falls, Upper McCord Creek Falls, and Horsetail Falls. I planned on getting Multnomah, Wahkeena, and Latourell as well but the light got bad and for some reason there were a lot of people out on a Friday afternoon.

#1, Upper McCord Creek Falls:

858438454_QLJyJ-XL.jpg

#2, Punch Bowl Falls:

858445020_UvL3r-XL.jpg

#3, Elowah Falls (I got soaked!)

858453497_mhbRT-XL.jpg

#4, Punch Bowl Falls:

858444094_ypwvb-XL.jpg

#5, Punch Bowl Falls from above:

858443243_xf8u2-XL.jpg

#6, Metlako Falls (if you shoot near sunrise there's often steam from this waterfall):

858442127_H6iYt-XL.jpg

#7, A cool fern spotted near Upper McCord creek falls, I had to put on the macro lens for it:

858458279_iUbSf-XL.jpg

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited May 8, 2010
    I love seeing pictures from the Gorge. One of my favorite road trips was through there on a motorcycle.

I think my favorite from this series is PB falls from above. I love the way the water is blurred in #4 and wonder if maybe less DOF might change the look and feel a bit?

Very pretty place. Thanks for sharing these!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Ron-
    Love #4 & #2 followed by #5. I guess I love Punchbowl Falls. Will definitely have to put that one on my list when I finally get to the Pacific Northwest.

Stephanie
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    #4 gives me the feeling that I am walking right in the water - that's my favorite! Oh, the green...love it!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    All great Ron. 2 and 4 are special in my eyes. clap.gif
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    These are all incredibly beautiful!
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Great captures!We probably passed each other on the trails! I also got soaked at Elowah falls but it was way too wet to go up on that bridge so I want a little further downstream. Punchbowl is great, I missed that perspective from above. Nice job!
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Solid effort (as usual). #2 is a good compromise composition. Wide enough for a sense of the place but not too wide so that it shrinks the falls' importance in the landscape. Also love the use of depth of field on #7. Gives it a bit of abstract feel to it. thumb.gif

I'll be down there myself at the end of next week but I'm gonna try to avoid the usual shots.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    that does it... i officially have to make a trip to shoot the Gorge waterfalls this year!! great stuff, as always, Ron!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    I love seeing pictures from the Gorge. One of my favorite road trips was through there on a motorcycle.

I think my favorite from this series is PB falls from above. I love the way the water is blurred in #4 and wonder if maybe less DOF might change the look and feel a bit?

Very pretty place. Thanks for sharing these!

Thanks Ian, the "punchbowlness" is definitely more evident from the above view.
    Ron-
    Love #4 & #2 followed by #5. I guess I love Punchbowl Falls. Will definitely have to put that one on my list when I finally get to the Pacific Northwest.

Stephanie

Definitely, and if you happen to go after a recent rain you'll see a lot of ephemeral waterfalls (some over 100 ft) dropping into Eagle Creek on the way there. It's a fantastic (and easy) hike in.
    Eia wrote: »
    #4 gives me the feeling that I am walking right in the water - that's my favorite! Oh, the green...love it!

Thanks Eia! I was walking in the water for that shot (not on the water - I haven't perfected that yet). I had rubber boots but still managed to get wet, it would have been worse had the water been running at normal volumes for this time of year.
    dlplumer wrote: »
    All great Ron. 2 and 4 are special in my eyes. clap.gif

Thanks Dan!
    Sexy6Chick wrote: »
    These are all incredibly beautiful!

Thanks!
    chrismoore wrote: »
    Great captures!We probably passed each other on the trails! I also got soaked at Elowah falls but it was way too wet to go up on that bridge so I want a little further downstream. Punchbowl is great, I missed that perspective from above. Nice job!

When I was there the bridge was OK, but just before the bridge was where the wind was blowing the water. And it was COLD water too. But that's part of the fun of shooting waterfalls :D
    scole wrote: »
    Solid effort (as usual). #2 is a good compromise composition. Wide enough for a sense of the place but not too wide so that it shrinks the falls' importance in the landscape. Also love the use of depth of field on #7. Gives it a bit of abstract feel to it. thumb.gif

I'll be down there myself at the end of next week but I'm gonna try to avoid the usual shots.

Thanks Steve! Most of the macro shots I take have low DOF because I like the way it looks. Looking forward to your shots!
    squirl033 wrote: »
    that does it... i officially have to make a trip to shoot the Gorge waterfalls this year!! great stuff, as always, Ron!

Thanks - it's definitely a great place. I got all the waterfalls on this post (and some that aren't!) before noon and that included about 9 miles of hiking. It's amazing how concentrated they are. Autumn is also a good time to visit, and winter if you can luck out with ice or snow.
  • StefStef Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Wow! Those are all stunning, but #4iloveyou.gif has that special something that I really really like.

Great job! clap.gif
  • PhilMPhilM Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    # 2 does it for me. Very serene and peaceful.
    Life is good and lots of stuff to shoot!! :clap
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Great stuff Ron, for me #2 & #4 are stand out. clap.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    nice captures - in shot # 4 i would have liked to see the pebbles in the water in focus rather than the fall.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Really nice shots. I especially like #4.
  • LadukebobLadukebob Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Great shots! Really enjoyed #2
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • rhiturajrhituraj Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Wow! beautiful series. I liked all of them.thumb.gif

Camera - $1700, Lens - $900, Memories - Priceless | www.rhitusworld.com
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    That last shot almost makes me want to get a macro lens. I really like this series. It looks like it's much greener than your previous trip.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Thanks everyone!

Danny - I have an extra macro lens that I can sell below used... :D
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    These are all really nice photos! thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Always enjoy your work. Nice stuff. :D
    Michael
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Great set, Ron. I really like #4 because of the different perspective.