First Snow! Rutledge Falls and Machine Falls

stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
edited December 7, 2009 in Landscapes
First snow of the winter, quite unusual for middle TN. Usually if we get much of any it is in February/March. Looked out my window at 4:30am and sure enough, about an inch or so. Headed out to the local watering holes for some pre-sunrise shooting. Here are a few:

#1 Rutledge Falls pre-dawn

732245511_2aJkD-L.jpg

#2 Machine Falls

732236293_MseMZ-L.jpg

#3 Statue at Rutledge Falls
shot this on the way out, just a quick one

732241635_k2Utq-L.jpg

#4 Just one more of Machine Falls

732250821_fs965-L.jpg

Both of these places are within 5miles of my house so I like to get out and shoot at different times of year for a different perspective. The nice thing about all the rain we have had this past year is the flow on all of the waterfalls. Absolutely great! Usually summer and fall are dry and not until early spring do they flow nicely again. Not so this year.

Comments

• Mark LedinghamMark Ledingham Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Fantastic hues in the water in these shots! The winter can definitely be an exciting time of the year to be out shooting.
    All the best from northern Norway,
    Mark Ledingham

Please visit Mark Ledingham Photography ...You might just like it!
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    I really like #1. Thanks for sharing the pics!
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited December 6, 2009
    That first pic is amazing!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Thank you. I like the first one as well. Might print that one. Was trying something different on the other two waterfall shots. On #2, I was focusing on the tree and it's texture using the waterfall as the backdrop. On #4 I was using the branches as a shroud for the upper falls. Just getting out of my comfort zone a bit on those.

-Jon
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    I really like the first one! Nice movement in the water and overall capture of the mood. I think #2 is nice but if you cropped it tighter (or cloned out the tiny branch in the middle left part of the frame) it would look great.
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    I like the first and the fourth one. There is a lot going on in the fourth pic and the more you look at it the more you see thumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 7, 2009
    Beautiful work! It pays to get out early and you brought back the goods. But man, it must have been chilly out there. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    yeah Joel, it was cold. And still snowing a bit as well but well worth it.

acowan, thanks for the suggestion on the branch, think I may go back and clone it out.
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    Looks like you were well rewarded for standing out in the cold! I can't pick between the first two as my favorite - I like the overall feel of the first but I just love the water in the second one.

Ken