Buick

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited February 28, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Hi all,
I believe this is my last car attempt for a while. They don't have lovely cars like this parked on the street around these parts.

The car was not too clean, which is a shame, also it attracted quite a bit of attention and people wanting to look at it. This is my best shot of the bunch but unfortunately it has the gentleman who stepped into the frame--yes I wanted very much to hurt him.

I processed the shot to look like a daguerreotype shot, does it work?

I thought about trying to clone out the gent, but maybe it works as is?

The reason I like the car by the way is that hood ornament and I love how the sun is reflecting off the nose.

Any comments are appreciated.

798447563_yHGgd-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I like the processing and the shot, but I have to agree with you on the gentleman in the picture. I think it would look better without him in the frame.

Kris
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I think the man adds something this photograph needs. This is not a great shot of a car. From that angle, the car doesn't have anything going for it.

With the man in the frame, though, it becomes a composition that includes a car and a man that makes you think that the man is returning to his car.

I think I might try a portrait crop of the right side of this image that cuts off that mass of reflection from the fender light (at the leftish-bottom) and gets the Buick name and the grill in the picture. That expanse of hood on the left doesn't add anything to the photo.

The sepia effect works very well.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Hey, Liz, I've got just a few comments.

First, I'm pleased to see you take your talents into the world of car photography. You'll soon learn that patience is a real virtue.

In this case, since you have elected to move in close and feature certain aspects of the car, I would say the gent needs to be gone. In a more open, generally encompassing scene, people are not so distracting. But here, the guy serves no purpose. Waiting for " the scene to clear " can really test your patience, but it's a tactic you have to master.

The blown-out glare at the bottom center....eminating off some of the chrome trim....is the main flaw in this shot. It's representative of the number 1 hazard when shooting in a highly reflective environment, such as cars present. A shift in your position may have helped here...probably would have. Looking at the preview screen will often show this glare as being unacceptable.

Being exceptionally aware of the sun's position, or any other lighting, when shooting cars is absolutely necessary. You've got to be willing to deal with the cards as they're dealt; move around a lot if you have too, and be willing to pass on a shot when all the elements needed for a good shot are not there.

Good luck with your car photography. You'll do well.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    mud390 wrote:
    I like the processing and the shot, but I have to agree with you on the gentleman in the picture. I think it would look better without him in the frame.

Kris

DARN HIM!!!
    Ok I got cozy with my cloning tool--will repost shortly.

Thanks Kris--I like this treatment too.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited February 28, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I think the man adds something this photograph needs. This is not a great shot of a car. From that angle, the car doesn't have anything going for it.

With the man in the frame, though, it becomes a composition that includes a car and a man that makes you think that the man is returning to his car.

I think I might try a portrait crop of the right side of this image that cuts off that mass of reflection from the fender light (at the leftish-bottom) and gets the Buick name and the grill in the picture. That expanse of hood on the left doesn't add anything to the photo.

The sepia effect works very well.

Ok well--i cloned him out, just to see--you tell me if the shot is ruined for you with him gone. Also I couldn't bring myself to crop the left of the car--
    I know that's a lot of space taken up by the hood of the car, but I just really like the way it looks.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited February 28, 2010
    Hey, Liz, I've got just a few comments.

First, I'm pleased to see you take your talents into the world of car photography. You'll soon learn that patience is a real virtue.

In this case, since you have elected to move in close and feature certain aspects of the car, I would say the gent needs to be gone. In a more open, generally encompassing scene, people are not so distracting. But here, the guy serves no purpose. Waiting for " the scene to clear " can really test your patience, but it's a tactic you have to master.

The blown-out glare at the bottom center....eminating off some of the chrome trim....is the main flaw in this shot. It's representative of the number 1 hazard when shooting in a highly reflective environment, such as cars present. A shift in your position may have helped here...probably would have. Looking at the preview screen will often show this glare as being unacceptable.

Being exceptionally aware of the sun's position, or any other lighting, when shooting cars is absolutely necessary. You've got to be willing to deal with the cards as they're dealt; move around a lot if you have too, and be willing to pass on a shot when all the elements needed for a good shot are not there.

Good luck with your car photography. You'll do well.

Tom

Hi Tom,
    Well I'm the most impatient person I have ever encountered and i live in NY so it says a lot--I am trying to tame that best though. I can see how you have to bide your time though for these type of shots.

I won't get the chance to reshoot cars for another year probably--unless it's a nyc cab--but I will save your instructions for the future. BTW, I did move around some to get different shtos--but clearly not enough. I think I only took 5-6 shots of the hood--because that's the part I really liked.

I have reworked this shot since it's all I have to work with for a while--and I remember Randy Wells saying that no amount of PP can save a mediocre shot--so I know this is not much of an improvement--but I had to try.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited February 28, 2010
    Ok reworked.

Exposure taken down to elimnate the glare of the left portion of the chrome in the bottom of the car.
    Added Vignette to help with the cloned portions.

Cloned the man out.

798944162_rpMNK-XL.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
  • mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I like this version much better!

Kris
    edited February 28, 2010
    mud390 wrote:
    I like this version much better!

Kris

Thanks Kris--I do too. That cloning tool is the best thing since Dr. Pepper.

And just to make my self-indulgent post complete.

798971428_Yva4v-XL.jpg

Might as well go out swinging:)
    Sorry folks, just really starting to learn how to PP and just shocked at everything that is available to me--can't wait to do it with a proper shot.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited February 28, 2010
    Sorry folks, just really starting to learn how to PP and just shocked at everything that is available to me--can't wait to do it with a proper shot.

Great job, Liz. thumb.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I don't know why I like it but I do, with the guy in it.
    Without the guy in it, not nearly as interesting, I think it is because it is an older gentleman.
    Just my opinion of course.

I always like to see photos of things that a million people a day with cameras would walk right by and never see a photo there...nice eye to shoot this.
    edited February 28, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Great job, Liz. thumb.gif

Thank you Richard :D .
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited February 28, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    I don't know why I like it but I do, with the guy in it.
    Without the guy in it, not nearly as interesting, I think it is because it is an older gentleman.
    Just my opinion of course.

I always like to see photos of things that a million people a day with cameras would walk right by and never see a photo there...nice eye to shoot this.

You and Tony share that opinion it seems.

I'm glad I posted all three versions to see what works best--for me, I'm partial to my last post, but I can see how the one with the gentleman might work. More of a story.

Thanks about the "nice eye to shoot this" :D .
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited February 28, 2010
    Hey Liz,

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif " might as well go out swinging " rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I hear you, girl. I do like that last version the best. Try this: go ahead and take out the bottom trim piece. It's the most problematic part of this picture. I have a feeling that it will improve this shot a lot.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Ok well--i cloned him out, just to see--you tell me if the shot is ruined for you with him gone. Also I couldn't bring myself to crop the left of the car--
    I know that's a lot of space taken up by the hood of the car, but I just really like the way it looks.

Ruined? No way. We simply see different versions of what could be done. Whatever you end up with should be your conception of what works.

Your cloning is excellent, by the way. I really like that scratched negative look that you added. It adds to the aging of the photo.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited February 28, 2010
    Hey Liz,

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif " might as well go out swinging " rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I hear you, girl. I do like that last version the best. Try this: go ahead and take out the bottom trim piece. It's the most problematic part of this picture. I have a feeling that it will improve this shot a lot.

Tom

LOl--Thanks Tom:)

I will recrop and try and get that portion of the chrome out--I just want to be able to keep the "Buick" sign as well---

Thanks for your tips---glad you like my last attempt. I was just refusing to let it go without a fight:D . Looks like I have one final attempt to go.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited February 28, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Ruined? No way. We simply see different versions of what could be done. Whatever you end up with should be your conception of what works.

Your cloning is excellent, by the way. I really like that scratched negative look that you added. It adds to the aging of the photo.

Thanks Tony,
    I'm new at cloning and I had many a sailor-type bad words flying out of my mouth as I tried to get it right.

My final reworked image reminds me of the old "Havana" style photographs. So I'm glad it works for you too.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Hi LIZZ......... I like the last one.......The PP fits the car......and getting rid of the guy helped........ azzaro
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I really like your last version Liz. I can see it hanging in an old diner somewhere.
    edited February 28, 2010
    Liz,

I'd rather see you erase out the bottom trim. Don't crop it out. You'd lose too much of the critical scene. There would be plenty of nice chrome left to highlight the car's hood. Give it a go....see what you think.

Tom
    edited February 28, 2010
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi LIZZ......... I like the last one.......The PP fits the car......and getting rid of the guy helped........ azzaro

Hello Azzaro,
    Thank you sir :)
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited February 28, 2010
    wendell wrote:
    I really like your last version Liz. I can see it hanging in an old diner somewhere.

Reminds me of the old photos of Cuba my mother-in-law has floating around.

Thanks Wendell--

You could have at least said "museum" rolleyes1.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited February 28, 2010
    Liz,

I'd rather see you erase out the bottom trim. Don't crop it out. You'd lose too much of the critical scene. There would be plenty of nice chrome left to highlight the car's hood. Give it a go....see what you think.

Tom

oh--Now I get what you mean Tom,

Ok I redid it---I gotta get credit for stubborness no?

I don't think you'll like it but here it is.

799361196_dJuBR-XL.jpg

I cloned out the bottom chrome but then the bottom part was waaaay to black and didn't match the rest of the shot--so then I tried to spot apply the texture--and I don't know ne_nau.gif .

I will have to see it with fresh eyes tomorrow I think.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited February 28, 2010
    Liz,

As always, it comes down to a personal choice. I happen to like it with the bottom strip gone....with or without the other PP work you have done. I think it's a lot cleaner image with just the one chrome strip. The picture hasn't lost a bit of its impact.

Tom
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Hey Liz,

I sort-of agree with Tom. I was going to suggest the same thing, but held off due to my thinking that you just might not be able to salvage this particular image no matter what.

I think what this image has offered you, is to provide you with some more of that photography knowledge to "squirrel away" in your minds eye for the next similar photo opportunity. If you take an image, and it doesn't work for you, figure out why not and learn from that. I'll bet the next similar image turns out to your liking thumb.gif
    Randy