zuttyzutty Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited August 19, 2015 in Landscapes
20044596156_a540c14020_h.jpgUntitled by J T, on Flickr

Comments

• bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2015
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2015
    Pole in dead center feels like huge distraction. May require work but cloning candidate. The light is not ideal.
  • zuttyzutty Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2015
    Another Version
    20629218212_852bf78619_h.jpgD610 #2 N.H. Road Trip-70-200 HD26 by J T, on Flickr
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2015
    Improved!!
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2015
    Not bad... certainly not the Mt. Washington I was expecting......
    Lee Wiren
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2015
    Zutty, Welcome to DGRIN!

Just my suggestion...crop it just barely above the top of the children's "Fun House" on the left and PS out what's left of the top of the lights/light poles in the right foreground. I don't think the material in the foreground (especially the bare ground in the field) adds to the shot. Might add a "tiny" bit of contrast to the shot as well. I like the way you placed the building to the side to complement the distant mountain.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

edited August 18, 2015
    This Mt. Washington is in New Hampshire...
    edited August 18, 2015
    Just my suggestion...crop it just barely above the top of the children's "Fun House" on the left and PS out what's left of the top of the lights/light poles in the right foreground. I don't think the material in the foreground (especially the bare ground in the field) adds to the shot. Might add a "tiny" bit of contrast to the shot as well. I like the way you placed the building to the side to complement the distant mountain.[/QUOTE]

I tried looking at that crop and didn't like the resulting composition at all. The trees looked awkward and chopped off. The road in the foreground although fairly empty does lead to the rest of the photo in a way that is interesting to me.
    edited August 18, 2015
    zutty wrote: »
    I tried looking at that crop and didn't like the resulting composition at all. The trees looked awkward and chopped off. The road in the foreground although fairly empty does lead to the rest of the photo in a way that is interesting to me.

Fair enough...never forget that your picture should look the way YOU want it to look!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2015
    I think you have the beginnings of a very nice image. I realize you didn't ask for a critique but since others have chimed in with their 2 cents I will also.

I tend to agree with your assessment of a crop above the bounce structure, but I think you could make a crop off of the bottom as suggested but just below the light post, this would still leave your leading line, and eliminate the bare spot that is not adding any value. My next move would be to clone out the bounce house, which may or may not be a distraction, depending on the individual viewer.

Just another opinion.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
    edited August 18, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    I think you have the beginnings of a very nice image. I realize you didn't ask for a critique but since others have chimed in with their 2 cents I will also.

I tend to agree with your assessment of a crop above the bounce structure, but I think you could make a crop off of the bottom as suggested but just below the light post, this would still leave your leading line, and eliminate the bare spot that is not adding any value. My next move would be to clone out the bounce house, which may or may not be a distraction, depending on the individual viewer.

Just another opinion.

Phil

Phil,
    The crop you suggest does have possibilities and I will try it and see what's what. But I'm not sure what it would add to the photo by the subtraction.

I do thank you all for your input. It makes me think more about my composition skills. I have only been doing this for under 2 years after a serious illness made me retire from being a professional musician. I am trying to transfer my creativity from my ears to my eyes, so to speak. Not an easy task.
    edited August 18, 2015
    zutty wrote: »
    I do thank you all for your input. It makes me think more about my composition skills. I have only been doing this for under 2 years after a serious illness made me retire from being a professional musician. I am trying to transfer my creativity from my ears to my eyes, so to speak. Not an easy task.

Zutty, we have all been where you are at this point! The fact that you got so much feedback on this picture means that a lot of people took notice of it! That's a good thing. After getting LOTS of input regarding crop, composition, subject placement, tone etc on my initial posts, I now start thinking of these at the time I take the shot. I even sense specific members of the DGRIN family giving me advice as I shoot. I only hope you begin to love the technical aspect as well as the art of photography as much as those who will give you advice here. You have certainly shown a great deal of potential with "Mt. Washington"! wings.gif

edited August 19, 2015
    Zutty, we have all been where you are at this point! The fact that you got so much feedback on this picture means that a lot of people took notice of it! That's a good thing. After getting LOTS of input regarding crop, composition, subject placement, tone etc on my initial posts, I now start thinking of these at the time I take the shot. I even sense specific members of the DGRIN family giving me advice as I shoot. I only hope you begin to love the technical aspect as well as the art of photography as much as those who will give you advice here. You have certainly shown a great deal of potential with "Mt. Washington"! wings.gif

Thanks for the encouraging words, Thelen. I Do love the technical aspect of photography as much as the creative parts. I learned long ago that having the best possible tools make it much easier to achieve your goals. Again, I thank you, my friend.