Options

Horseshoe Bend, Colorado River

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
edited August 21, 2015 in Landscapes
Last Dec., I had the opportunity to visit Page, AZ and Horseshoe Bend. Just getting around to processing some images....

i-ktCr62Z-L.jpg

Wonderful to see (and photograph) this iconic section of the Colorado River.

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2015
    That's beautiful! I'm planning a road trip to that area in about 6 weeks, and this is definitely on my list.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2015
    Lovely!
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2015
    Stumblebum, Moose...thank you both for your comments. I appreciate it!!

Moose, make sure to bring the widest angle lens you have, can borrow or rent. This will allow you to capture as much of the scene as possible. Also getting there early (a little bit of a walk from the parking area to the cliff "lip") gets you prime setup location to again, capture the complete image.

BE CAREFUL, at the edge!!!

I saw too many folks looking to "get the shot" putting themselves (and eventual SAR folks) at risk by leaning over, approaching too close, wearing loose fitting shoes, sitting with their backs right on the edge trying to get the selfi-shot, and not minding toddlers.

Amazing how one's sense of practical safety and good common sense goes right out the window when they have a camera in their hands.

OH, BTW, be vigilant of your gear. I had one chap almost knock my tripod over the edge because he wanted to be in the same position as I was set up and his foot kicked the tripod leg (which was clearly marked with bright pink survey ribbon - to avoid such an incident).

Have a great trip!!
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2015
    Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to remember it.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2015
    El Gato,

The image is stunning. It'll grab you " right now " and stay with you.I do have a question for you, though.

Being the color freak that I am, it was the colors in this image that first hooked me. Truly, it's an iconic scene...recorded probably millions of times...but I have never seen any picture of the place that has such a dynamic palette of colors as this one. Accepting that nature gave you a well-deserved show to start with, how would you rate ( on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being low ) the effort you made in post-processing the shot, to get it to where it is? Anywhere from " very little " to " gave up three times ".

Just curious....I'm more interested in degree of effort involved as opposed to the techniques employed.

Again, super image.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2015
    Hi Tom...

Many thanks for your reply and comment. I appreciate it.

As for the image...let me start at the beginning.

The image is a HDR composite consisting of nine separate shots, bracketed into a single post-processed image.

I used Photomatrix Pro v4.2.7 to combine the nine separate images. My default settings in Photomatrix are pretty "tame" (conservative) as I do not want to produce an "overcooked" image.

From the HDR image produced by Photomatrix Pro, I brought the image into Photoshop and tweaked levels, and curves. I purposely did not want to touch much else as I did not want an image that screamed of post-processing or detracted from nature's palette.

Thus to answer your question, using the rating scale, which you provided, if I include the processing performed by Photomatrix and the post-processing in Photoshop, my "degree of effort," I would have to rate as about a 3-4.

Most of the effort was in setting up the gear, framing, trying to avoid being knocked over the cliff edge and waiting until the slight breeze subsided, to further ensure a more "noise-free" image.

I used my trusty Nikon D300, a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 lens, a programmable cable release, set the bracketing and shot away.

Tom, again thanks for your comments!!

El Gato,

The image is stunning. It'll grab you " right now " and stay with you.I do have a question for you, though.

Being the color freak that I am, it was the colors in this image that first hooked me. Truly, it's an iconic scene...recorded probably millions of times...but I have never seen any picture of the place that has such a dynamic palette of colors as this one. Accepting that nature gave you a well-deserved show to start with, how would you rate ( on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being low ) the effort you made in post-processing the shot, to get it to where it is? Anywhere from " very little " to " gave up three times ".

Just curious....I'm more interested in degree of effort involved as opposed to the techniques employed.

Again, super image.

Tom
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2015
    El Gato wrote: »
    Stumblebum, Moose...thank you both for your comments. I appreciate it!!

Moose, make sure to bring the widest angle lens you have, can borrow or rent. This will allow you to capture as much of the scene as possible. Also getting there early (a little bit of a walk from the parking area to the cliff "lip") gets you prime setup location to again, capture the complete image.

BE CAREFUL, at the edge!!!

I saw too many folks looking to "get the shot" putting themselves (and eventual SAR folks) at risk by leaning over, approaching too close, wearing loose fitting shoes, sitting with their backs right on the edge trying to get the selfi-shot, and not minding toddlers.

Amazing how one's sense of practical safety and good common sense goes right out the window when they have a camera in their hands.

OH, BTW, be vigilant of your gear. I had one chap almost knock my tripod over the edge because he wanted to be in the same position as I was set up and his foot kicked the tripod leg (which was clearly marked with bright pink survey ribbon - to avoid such an incident).

Have a great trip!!

A great shot of this location. I am not typically a fan of most HDR images, but you did a great job with this one. thumb.gifthumb

I have shot this location a couple of times and you are certainly correct regarding safety for yourself and gear. I too have had people encroach into my space and bumped my tripod, because they arrived late for the light. I have had near heart attack circumstances as I watched un-attended children run right up to the edge.

Despite the crowds, and the extreme danger of the edge, if you're in the area, make the short hike to enjoy this view live.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2015
    El Gato,

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me the process you used in creating the image. Thanks.

The name you use on the forum strikes a cord with me. I have a small winery in north Florida named Tres Gatos Winery. My three Burmese cats strut around like they own the place. My wife says they own me so it's only right that they own the winery.:D

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    rhiturajrhituraj Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2015
    Nicely done![emoji106]

Camera - $1700, Lens - $900, Memories - Priceless | www.rhitusworld.com
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2015
    rhituraj wrote: »
    Nicely done![emoji106]

15524779-Ti.gifthumbthumb.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited August 21, 2015
    Gatos...gotta love 'em
    El Gato,

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me the process you used in creating the image. Thanks.

The name you use on the forum strikes a cord with me. I have a small winery in north Florida named Tres Gatos Winery. My three Burmese cats strut around like they own the place. My wife says they own me so it's only right that they own the winery.:D

Tom

Tom...

I agree.

I have several and I have come to firmly believe the poster often seen around....

dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Mine run the place and they'll let you know it.

Thanks again for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2015
    15524779-Ti.gifthumbthumb.gif

THANKS Thelensspot.

I appreciate you taking time view my image and to provide your response.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2015
    rhituraj wrote: »
    Nicely done![emoji106]

Thank you rhituraj, I appreciate your comment.