Options

California Coast

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited October 24, 2006 in Journeys
I recently drove down the Pacific Coast Highway on a return trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles and snapped a few shots along the way. Hope you enjoy. Comments welcome.

1. Pacifica
103495537-M.jpg

2. The Mission at Carmel

103495487-M.jpg

103495500-M.jpg

4. A succulent
103495540-M.jpg

5. Homestead
103495510-M.jpg

103495523-M.jpg
103495528-M.jpg

103500697-M.jpg
103500733-M.jpg
103500749-M.jpg
103500756-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    In a group of nice pictures, 2 & 4 stand out to me. I'm a sucker for architecture photos, especially crumbling old churches. Number 4 is also a really nice close-up; The composition is perfect, and I like it for the title as much as the photo. Number one deserves honorable mention.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,906 moderator
    edited October 18, 2006
    I love riding down the coast. Especially the stretch from Carmel to San
    Luis Obispo.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    Tommyboy wrote:
    In a group of nice pictures, 2 & 4 stand out to me. I'm a sucker for architecture photos, especially crumbling old churches. Number 4 is also a really nice close-up; The composition is perfect, and I like it for the title as much as the photo. Number one deserves honorable mention.

Thanks Tommy. I appreciate the feedback.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Looks like it was a nice trip.

I would like to see more pics of the outside of the Mission.

#4 is the best in the series-very good shot.

I really like shots like 8 and 9 but there is just to much tree not enough coastine.

I hope to take this trip myself this next year. Thanks for pointing out a few stops.

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    ahhh Highway 1 ... considered the most spectacular road in the world. Just gotta love California ... BTW - nice stuff.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    I enjoyed these, Angelo... you should post them Large instead of Medium!

I like #6 better than #7, I think it needs the larger perspective. Love the clouds and colors in #1.

Chris
    Chris
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Angelo....
    Where, exactly, did you photograph #1 Pacifica???
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Looks like it was a nice trip.

I would like to see more pics of the outside of the Mission.

#4 is the best in the series-very good shot.

I really like shots like 8 and 9 but there is just to much tree not enough coastine.

I hope to take this trip myself this next year. Thanks for pointing out a few stops.

Aaron

Hey Aaron, I have a couple more of the mission. I'll try and process them and get them up for you. I wish I had gotten a few better coastline shots too... :cry
    Thanks for stopping by.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    ahhh Highway 1 ... considered the most spectacular road in the world. Just gotta love California ... BTW - nice stuff.

Gary

A little slice of heaven, I tell ya! Hope to get out with you and the shooters soon after my NYC trip.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I enjoyed these, Angelo... you should post them Large instead of Medium!

I like #6 better than #7, I think it needs the larger perspective. Love the clouds and colors in #1.

Chris

Thank you Chris.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    Where, exactly, did you photograph #1 Pacifica???

Hi Dee, thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed the pictures. That location was not too far outside of San Francisco although I don't recall exactly where. I was just driving along and saw those interesting rock formations and pulled over.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    Location, Location
    Angelo wrote:
    Hi Dee, thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed the pictures. That location was not too far outside of San Francisco although I don't recall exactly where. I was just driving along and saw those interesting rock formations and pulled over.

Pacifica ends after you pass the shopping center to the left and the beach to the right when you get into the trees that lead to the Devil's Slide area. Ed and I were scratching our heads trying to figure out where you shot this. We were thinking maybe Montara, or Half Moon Bay, but more likely the Pescadero area. I'll have to start paying attention next time we head south along Highway 1.

Or, I could check here: http://www.californiacoastline.org/

OK, I think the first photo was taken here: http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=6260&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2002

That's Pescadero Beach about 30 miles south of Pacifica, about 15 or so miles south of Half Moon Bay.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    Pacifica ends after you pass the shopping center to the left and the beach to the right when you get into the trees that lead to the Devil's Slide area. Ed and I were scratching our heads trying to figure out where you shot this. We were thinking maybe Montara, or Half Moon Bay, but more likely the Pescadero area. I'll have to start paying attention next time we head south along Highway 1.

Or, I could check here: http://www.californiacoastline.org/

OK, I think the first photo was taken here: http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=6260&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2002

That's Pescadero Beach about 30 miles south of Pacifica, about 15 or so miles south of Half Moon Bay.

Dee: I'm not really sure where it was. I was relaxed and settled in to a long, leisurely drive. With the new Diana Krall CD playing I wasn't too tuned into geography... rolleyes1.gif

But it might have been Pescadero. Sure looks like it from the site you referenced.
  • Options
    ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    One and nine are my picks, the warm foreground contrasts nicely with the gray sky, love the composition in nine, just the kite and rider.
    Ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Great shots, Angelo! Makes me want to pack up my camera gear and hit the road! Hwy 1 is a trip I have never tired of. Lovely, ever-changing scenery from one end of the state to the other and the most beautiful coastline!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Always great seeing your stuff, Ang.

clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2006
    ed_h wrote:
    One and nine are my picks, the warm foreground contrasts nicely with the gray sky, love the composition in nine, just the kite and rider.
    Ed

Ed - thanks for looking and commenting, I appreciate the support.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Great shots, Angelo! Makes me want to pack up my camera gear and hit the road! Hwy 1 is a trip I have never tired of. Lovely, ever-changing scenery from one end of the state to the other and the most beautiful coastline!!! thumb.gif

I agree S - best road trip ever. Took 12 hours to traverse the state (rather than 5 on the I-5) but worth every minute. Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Always great seeing your stuff, Ang.

clap.gif

Thanks Andy. I'm on your turf this week hoping for a killer shot or two...
    wish me luck.