Upcoming Tennis Tournament Suggestions

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited May 1, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I have received permission from the owner of our local tennis club to take photos of our upcoming adult doubles tennis tournament. I plan on taking photos and posting them on my website in hopes some folks will order prints. Do I need any type of permission forms for the participants to sign? Or is the permission from the owner of the facility all I need? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    photodad1 wrote: »
    I have received permission from the owner of our local tennis club to take photos of our upcoming adult doubles tennis tournament. I plan on taking photos and posting them on my website in hopes some folks will order prints. Do I need any type of permission forms for the participants to sign? Or is the permission from the owner of the facility all I need? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

I wasn't going to reply to this because I can see it's one of those topics that the armchair legal experts and zealots will jump all over with their typical fear and brimstone clap trap.
    Seeing you haven't got anyone better to reply so far, here's my take on it.

Firstly you have the owners permission so that should be enough in practicality if not the letter of laws that would never allow anything to get done if you followed them precisely.

Secondly, they are adults so are highly unlikely to be concerned about all the rot surrounding photographing kids, privacy etc.

Thirdly, getting everyone to sign forms is going to be a pain plus I think would make a lot of people self conscious. I think many blokes particularly would be worried that by signing the form they are going to look vain or love themselves to their fellow competitors and are in fact asking you to shoot them.

I'm quite sure that many/ most of them would be far happier for you not to ask their permission and just get on with it.

Now if any subsequent worry warts want to chime in with their legal sky is falling rubbish and get you worried, what my suggestion would be would be is to get the organizer to ask or make an announcement you are there and if anyone has any OBJECTIONS to being photographed, to let them know and no pics will be taken of them.

Anyone that dosen't opt out is in fact giving you permission to shoot them.

But again, I think your concerns are unwarranted and you should just get on with it.

That said, if you are hoping to make a buck out of this to warrant your time, I think you'll be pushing it. Adults are tough to sell to and selling off the web don't make things easier.
    Normally I'd preach doing onsite showing but I think in this case the effectiveness of that would at least be reduced. As adults a lot of them may be conscious about being seen as being vain by wanting a pic of themselves. Being able to buy off the net in anonymity would work in your favor here.

That said, if they are playing with a son or daughter, they would be able to pass any vanity jibes off as wanting them for the offspring and your sales would justify the onsite selling.

To my way of thinking, you really want to come up with a slogan that gives a good or fun reason for them to buy a pic but avoids the ribbing potential. That would probably depend to a degree on what the age group of the players is if there is any average.

In any case, I think having some Vstations there couldn't hurt but I also think your going after a tough sell to start with. I have a bit of experience in this events game and this is not a market I would chase. Don't be disheartened or surprised if your sales are low regardless of the quality of your work, its' the market not you.

If you do get good sales, take that as a major accomplishment because you really must be doing something very right. If you don't get good sales, doesn't mean your doing something wrong though.

Best of luck with it anyway.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Chris - in general you do not need a model release to post or sell images. In this case, you're on private property, so the owner gets to make the rules. You have his permission so you're good to go.

Having said that - good luck. Shooting a tournament on spec is a grueling concept - lots of hours shooting people who may not even be interested in photos. You're much better having people sign up for you to cover a given match (have a table where you show some tennis prints). With more prep time, you could have your services advertised by the club. Otherwise, you're looking at a whole lot of hours shooting and more hours editing for what could be little or no purchases. Good luck!
  • photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am going to see if the owner will send an email letting the participants know that I will be there taking photos during the tournament. I may ask him to include my email address if they would like photos taken of their respective match to contact me prior to the tournament. This would save a lot of my time.