Cyclo Cross in the desert

PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
edited December 2, 2014 in Sports
So went out yesterday to watch Cyclocross and take a few pics of friends of my son racing. Promoter sees my camera and long lens and assumes I am shooting race and wants to coordinate link to my site so racers can buy pics. "They are always asking me where they can buy the pics". I didn't want to disappoint so of course responded, "why, yes I am the photographer and here is my site..." Don't even want to go into the whole 'go to my site to buy the pics' business plan discussion. If I sell a few--great, otherwise a fun day of shooting a different sport.

1.Cranky%20Cross%2011.29.14-357-XL.jpg

Cranky%20Cross%2011.29.14-251-X2.jpg

Cranky%20Cross%2011.29.14-260-XL.jpg

Just a typical Thanksgiving weekend in the desert--80 degrees, light breeze, sunshine....we are all coming out of our air conditioned caves about now and welcoming all the Minnesotans and Canadians back, while we enjoy the outdoors.

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    #2 kind of tells it all, doesn't it - love his expression. Nice set.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    Very nice shots!!! Love the angle on first one!!
    What cool socks in #2!
    I want to get them!:D
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    Thank you both for commenting. Number 1 is something I like with bike racing (although I of course am imitating other pros I have seen). Lay down on curb on inside corner with wide angle lens, use flash and overexpose it a bit with sun at their backs, and pull back quickly so camera doesn't get ripped from your hands by the spokes!

Cyclocross is generally known from some crazy outfits or wigs, a bit of a 'protest' against the more staid road racers. This race was a bit tame by comparison, but always fun. The guy in pic 2 was way ahead by second lap, and still made faces or smiled every time he saw the camera or the crowd. This double barrier hop had the cowbells and hecklers (my son) cheering and teasing so riders all had a bit of fun here.

And to follow up on the sporting event sales (oft discussed in Mind Your Own Business section), I have had over 8,000 views for 340 pics......and no sales yet. headscratch.gif Not overly surprised, but thought it was a good experiment. Had at least a dozen people see me on course and ask "where can I buy the pics?" so thought I'd sell a few at least.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    Thank you both for commenting. Number 1 is something I like with bike racing (although I of course am imitating other pros I have seen). Lay down on curb on inside corner with wide angle lens, use flash and overexpose it a bit with sun at their backs, and pull back quickly so camera doesn't get ripped from your hands by the spokes!

Cyclocross is generally known from some crazy outfits or wigs, a bit of a 'protest' against the more staid road racers. This race was a bit tame by comparison, but always fun. The guy in pic 2 was way ahead by second lap, and still made faces or smiled every time he saw the camera or the crowd. This double barrier hop had the cowbells and hecklers (my son) cheering and teasing so riders all had a bit of fun here.

And to follow up on the sporting event sales (oft discussed in Mind Your Own Business section), I have had over 8,000 views for 340 pics......and no sales yet. headscratch.gif Not overly surprised, but thought it was a good experiment. Had at least a dozen people see me on course and ask "where can I buy the pics?" so thought I'd sell a few at least.

Thanks for back-story. What happens is that people who asked you, unless you have their shot, they are not going to buy. Maybe its a bad guess on my part......but shoot people, spectators and all....and give everyone you shoot....your card.....I guarantee you would see sales.
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks for back-story. What happens is that people who asked you, unless you have their shot, they are not going to buy. Maybe its a bad guess on my part......but shoot people, spectators and all....and give everyone you shoot....your card.....I guarantee you would see sales.

Makes sense. Should have had cards ready to hand out. Kind of 'fell into' this gig just by showing up and having a big lens. I did shoot virtually every racer at least once so you'd think at least one or two would buy? 4,723 views yesterday alone in gallery of 340 pictures. Fairly evenly spread among pictures so 14 people looked at almost every picture. Same for prior when 12,000 views on Sunday alone. Still no purchase. Have they all figured out how to steal image off screen? I have a watermark across middle, maybe I am dealing with an extremely cheap clientele that will live with watermark on their facebook page?

Oh well, getting off topic for this forum. Might move discussion to Business. Thanks,